Posts by Gabble Ratchet

But incidentally, while also not a favourite of mine, Walrus isn't quite the piece of "wacko psychedelia" most suppose it to be.

hmm, intrigued! Dare we go off topic and explore this further? I think we should. You can’t leave that just hanging there. Come on, out with it, old chap. Do tell!

I was trying to find a song called just "The" as a joke to your post !... :D

But unfortunately I could not find any obscure band made such a bizarre song title!... ^^

There is a band called ‘The The’. Pity it’s the song we’re after! 😀

Hackett said that about Willow Farm? I'm no great fan of WF but all the same can't see that comparison at all. Whatever PG's shortcomings were as a lyricist I'll take them over Banks with his burning ropes, sandless horses' kicks and sugary tales of mice and cats. He often sounded to me like one of those pompous teenagers who thinks he's writing great poetry. Adrian Mole, basically.

No? Oh, I immediately saw what he meant: a jaunty plinkerty-plonk melody (Teddy Bears’ Picnic / WF) coupled with wacko psychedelic lyrics (walrus / Winston Churchill in drag etc)

Give me a horse of sand anyday. However, I quite agree about that dreadful ‘mouse’s night’ rubbish. Ironically, of all Banks’ lyrics, it’s FoF that most people tend to slate. A classic example of your very point. Who even listens to them when you’ve got Steve Hackett in top gear?

Couldn’t be more perfect for me as my interest in the band starts and ends with both those albums. I’m a 70s boy at heart and altho’ Duke was released in March 1980, the song writing occurred Sep-Dec ‘79.

I can’t frikkin’ wait! 💥

Most discussions of lyrics are a hiding to nothing. I long since stopped bothering about them. I think it's a nice bonus when there's a good one, but beyond that my view is, it's just rock and pop, I'm not expecting well-crafted poetry.

The canon of both bands is littered with lyrics that were either totally nutjob hippy-dippy (Anderson) or cringe-inducingly twee/pompously cod-philosophising (Banks).

I agree with you about not bothering too much with the lyrics. Personally, I don’t have an issue with Banks as a lyricist though. Ok, he’s no T.S.Eliot, despite old Tiresius showing up to add a bit of class to the ‘Cinema Show’ with all that man/woman earth/sea stuff. No, what irks me most is PG’s tiresome word-plays.Was it considered fun & quirky back in the day? I wouldn’t know, I was a small child. But to me, now, it just reads like some sort of psychedelic hangover and dates the songs. I realise this may imbue then with a nostalgic tint for those old enough to remember those days. If so; great. I totally understand the power of nostalgia. Personally though, I couldn’t agree more with Hackett when he described ‘Willow Farm’ as a cross between ‘Teddy Bear’s Picnic’ and ‘I am the Walrus.’ But does it stop me from loving the music? Well, I’m no great fan of that particular piece, but no it doesn’t. I might be less likely to sing along to the ‘silly bits’, but I don’t listen to Genesis for that anyway. There are far better bands out there for when I fancy a sing song and a bit of dad dancing.

I was going to go and see them in Liverpool but when I went on the website to get tickets they were far more expensive than what I paid to see Steve Hackett last year and I thought that paying more for a tribute act than one of the original members is just wrong. I am not mean but it didnt feel right to me.

I feel exactly the same but I’m gonna make an exception with this band. They must be good if PG took his kids along to see them.

Another band I believe are worth paying more to see are Australian Pink Floyd of which Gilmour allegedly said ‘actually they’re better than we were.’

I will definitely drive to see this show. It's lock the mother of all shows! Have you been to their webpage? That "trailer" is goosebump good! Maaann, I cannot believe that Genesis themselves wont' get together and play this music. Even Gabriel has to see how amazing it is and how important it is!

I believe they’re the only tribute to get the original band’s endorsement. PG even took his kids along to see their concert to show them ‘what daddy used to do’ whilst PC has said they play the songs better than they ever did. They’re in London in October if anyone’s interested.