Posts by Rael

Eh? What do you mean? You think you can no longer buy HDMI connectors? They are industry standard!

Sorry no, I meant you cant buy a receiver with both HDMI and 5 phono inputs. There was a period when they had both but now only HDMI or other digital input. So I have the SACD player going into the phono input and another CD/DVD player into the HDMI input.

I'd guess the multi-channel outputs will be optical or digital coaxial. What does your current one have? 5 phono leads? There

s a few here: CD Players at Crutchfield

FWIW, I still have my original CD player, a Philips CD104, which will be 38 years old this week. Had to do a couple of fixes on it over the years, but is still sings like a bird. Use the SACD player just for SACD's to save wear and tear, and a lesser player for ordinary CD's.

Yes, it has 5 phono leads.

I do a similar thing. I only use the SACD player for that and have another player for CD/DVD. That player has an HDMI output. The receiver amplifier has both multi phono and HDMI inputs which of course you can no longer buy either! I thought that, maybe its just encoded in the optical or digital, but was never sure. Hopefully these will last 38 years.

I actually have a Quad stereo amplifier which was made in the 70's still going strong but I doubt that the other stuff (Denon) uses the same quality components.

We love true SACD, like you with have a compatible player, so we have enjoyed everyone of our multichannel SACD's. The War Of The Worlds (original album) is fantastic as a SACD, multichannel of course.

Can you still buy SACD players with multi channel output? Whenever I look at hi-fi websites they only seem to have a stereo output. My SACD player is at least 15 years old now so wont go on forever I guess. Although of course the Genesis boxsets were kind of future proof as you have the DVD surround mix.

didn't the release say that TB was curating this?..so maybe final choice was down to him.

Trying to figure out why recordings of shows split over different discs and not just as full individual shows, and only a few numbers from Knebworth 78

Dont forget that these are all live recordings. Some choices may be made for you in that there were mistakes in the songs and therefore they were deemed unsuitable for an official release.

ziggo dome has some crazy token system for buying drinks from the bar :P

I would imagine that it was similar to when I saw Genesis at the stadium in 2007. You could buy a card for €10 or €20 but of course you cant ever make it add up to what you buy. Say 2 drinks come to €9.40 then you go home with 60 cents left on the card. Imagine that times 70,000 people or whatever. Nice little earner.

just booked a resale ticket for 2nd from back row in the 4th floor =O had my eye on it as a back up option as have been looking for a good seat for the final show but looks like theyve gotten snapped up quicktime this morning/afternoon. at least im in middle of arena as a slight consolation.

Its a shame there wasn't the same demand yesterday. I had a spare ticket for sale. I wasn't allowed to put it on Viagogo and AXS wouldn't let me enter less than the face value of £167 on their re-sale site. Then having looked at their website I see the ticket price was £210 as were some other re-sale tickets in the same block plus 2 new tickets at £167 which of course anybody looking would have gone for first. They really are just Gansters at AXS. I would have let it go for £30 or even given it away.

Can you tell the similarities here? Genesis will now play their hometown maybe for the final time and even if the tour has a question mark, with all 3 members into their mid seventies and Phil being so frail, to film those concerts would be not only welcome by everyone (specially those who missed out like Australia) but would be a way for Genesis to say thank you to the fans who supported them for more than 50 years.

I dont think its possible to improve on what Dr.John said further back on this thread as an answer to your question. I would imagine that Rush were still able to put on a show that would bare close scrutiny when their last show was recorded.

As I have said on here before, we are all hardcore fans. We might love such a Blu-Ray but for the man/woman in the street who might happen to see the disc in a shop one day and think "I used to like some of the Genesis hits" they might be disappointed to see Phil sat down and unable to reach many of the notes. All of which is overshadowed at a live performance but would not be a good look for posterity on a disc!

Boy, that makes aging sound appealing lol. I'm nearly 59 and I'm still not entirely sure about sitting cheek to cheek with 20000 other people, to be completely honest.

Yeah, aging is not for the faint hearted LOL. I'm 64 now and was a bit concerned about attending the London gig. The official O2 advice was to wear a mask in the communal areas but I cant think of anything more communal than the actual arena itself. But I guess they thought people wouldn't wear that, literally. I was intending to wear mine though. Hopefully the situation will be better in March. We will be triple jabbed and case rates should have dropped by then.

As I wont be seeing them now until March I decided to watch some of the you tube stuff on my big screen and hi-fi system. Quality does vary but some of it is very good. You could forget it wasn't pro-shot with a few of them apart from it dosent change to another camera angle. The picture quality is that good.

I too have accepted how Phil is now. Never the less I still got quite emotional at times. Even though I didn't have the thrill of actually being there and all that goes with that experience.

I actually realised how much many of these later songs mean to me. Not just the memories of the tours but things that happened in my life over the last 40 years. Those early songs from the 70's (whilst I still play the albums and enjoy them) don't really have any meaning in my life. Magic fountains and Slipper men are meaningless compared to Throwing it all away and Aferglow etc. I wonder if this is the same for the band and their reason for ignoring much of the earlier period.

Concerning Phil saying the same things between songs. Remember we are hard core fans on here. Most people only go once and enjoy the banter so you cant really get annoyed at it.

I agree Mason contributed the least from an artistic perspective, but that said, his relatively plodding and unimaginative playing is very much part of the sound. When you hear Floyd covered by others (including Roger Waters), it can sometimes sound "wrong" in the hands of a more skilled drummer.

I agree with what you have said but in Mason's defence if you are handed a song you can only go so far in adding to it. I cant see that Mason would have been allowed much input into the song structures when up against the other 3 big personalities. So he was probably the right man for the job. For example, if we look at Genesis. Whilst Tony may have wrote fading lights you can be sure that the middle section was worked on between the three of them with different rhythms. I honestly cant see Nick saying to Roger can we put this interesting drum part in this song. Even Gilmour is credited with the change of tempo in "Money"

I think we should also keep in mind that they didnt know how this was all gonna go.

They seem to be really enjoying themselves so they may have had some provisional plans for Europe, despite what Phil said about not carrying on after 2021. Also the shows in general seem to have been well received. There is a lot of love for the band despite the fact that Phil is past his best. So they may have been cautious about committing to more.

I can imagine its a real jigsaw puzzle trying to put something together for next year. So many artists have moved concerts to 2022.

Just looking at the Dublin Arena events around the time of the London concerts and it looks very busy. So I guess that's the reason they had to cancel.

I agree with Christian we need to wait and see. It would be a bit strange to just rock up and do 3 nights at the O2 after a 4 month break.

Great news! I am curious about the gap between the end of the currently scheduled tour and these new dates, it seems longish. Hopefully it'll mean an expanded tour.

I'm going to guess that if they do want to expand this out, they want to make sure that countries are fully open. There are still restrictions in Ireland on large events. I'm thinking there must be in Germany also as they have 4000 Covid cases a day compared to our 50,000! We will be re-introducing restrictions again here soon if we aren't careful. Hopefully it will be business as usual by March.

So when do we think the London shows will be rescheduled for?

The o2 seems to have some open dates after 18th October, I don't know what the isolation period is, but maybe 20th onwards is doable roughly?

Its not as easy as that. We dont know how much of the show beyond their personal instruments needs to be shipped to the USA. Its possible the moving domino light things could be being built again in the USA. But for sure passage of gear has already been booked and that could be shortly after the13th October. Plus they may well decide to do Dublin and Belfast while they are at it.

Not much has been mentioned regarding the redition of "Afterglow" and I'm wondering what you others thought. ( I haven't watched any clips as I want to wait for the show). I ask because just before the pandemic I was in the process of putting a covers band together to do a charity concert of some of my all time favourite songs. I had difficulty finding a singer who could handle Afterglow because of the Key change part way through. This is when I realised that Phil was an even more awesome singer than I had previously thought. I'm a drummer by the way so not a musician. LOL!