Posts by Jonathan Dann

Just to mention that the Expanded and Re-mastered Edition of Gypsy Suite is a single CD.

I wonder if there are plans for an expanded TARKA album?

There is currently nothing to report about a re-release of Tarka.

The Tarka demos on the Gypsy Suite CD are of course the same tracks that were first included on the original 1995 release, with the addition on the new edition of the previously unreleased demo of Movement III.

One of my favourite albums by anybody, but I'm slightly disappointed that this has been prioritised over other Ant albums that haven't yet had the Cherry Red magic dust sprinkled on them.

This hasn't been prioritised over other releases - the pressing of the 2017 release had sold out some time ago and as one of the key titles in Ant's catalogue he wanted to keep the album readily available. The fact that it's coming out ahead of any more re-issues of Ant's albums is purely down to timing - Cherry Red agreed to reissue the album as a 2 CD set in a jewel case and found a slot for it in their release schedule for January that fits in with everything else they have coming out in the early part of next year.

CD 4 of this set was something I had some input in, so although my promised credit never materialised, at least I can say I'm responsible for finding tracks that ended up on a Genesis release.

In The Wilderness and Build Me A Mountain on the fourth CD were sourced from the tapes we found in Ant's attic in the summer of 1995. From those tapes we also supplied the version of Patricia which was superior quality version to the copy that Tony Banks has. I subsequently found the master for the version of Image Blown Out (track 8).

As I subsequently got to hear the planned fourth CD prior to release, I spotted that the versions of Going Out To Get You and Dusk from Tony Banks' copy of the tape were in mono. Thanks to a contact I had, the versions of Going Out To Get You and Dusk appear on the final release in stereo. I also supplied the copy of the 1969 East Grinstead Courier article which is included in the book.

Sadly some tapes - including the 1969 demo of The Movement (or at least part of it) and the 1970 demo of Looking For Someone recorded for the Moody Blues label Threshold Records - could not be located for inclusion and as far as I know still remain elusive.

Thanks for the kind comments about the feature.

being released officially for the first time.[4]

There's no actual footnote #4. There's not even a "[3]" anywhere in the text. Oh well.

There were footnotes 3 & 4 but I decided to take them out. I'll remove the [4] from the text which was left in by mistake - thanks for spotting it.

What was Rock Around The Clock?

Rock Around The Clock was an all-night themed broadcast of music programmes (concerts, documentaries, interviews, music videos etc) shown annually between 1984 and 1986 on BBC2. It would start on a Saturday afternoon/evening and run for around 15 hours until early the next morning, hence the title. The programme with Genesis for example was shown at 2:15 am.

Part 1: https://www.genesis-news.com/c…art-1-1966-1976-s827.html

----

The correct titles for the September 1969 demos listed there:

Ballad of Doubt/Trust is the subtitle for What Is The Meaning

Win Old Friend should be Wise Old Friend, which in turn is a working title for Beside The Waters Edge

Devicly Shure should be Darkly Shone, a.k.a. Darkly Shone The Night

Two other tracks mentioned there are on the list of possible songs to record but Ant and Mike ultimately didn't record them:

Morning Meal - should be Morning Mist

Leaving for Eye - should be Leamington Spa

The correct titles for the September 1969 demos listed there:

Ballad of Doubt/Trust is the subtitle for What Is The Meaning

Win Old Friend should be Wise Old Friend, which in turn is a working title for Beside The Waters Edge

Devicly Shure should be Darkly Shone, a.k.a. Darkly Shone The Night

Two other tracks mentioned there are on the list of possible songs to record but Ant and Mike ultimately didn't record them:

Morning Meal - should be Morning Mist

Leaving for Eye - should be Leamington Spa

The news that Hit and Run intended to start going through existing audio and visual material to identify recordings that might be suitable for release was first mentioned when the Genesis site was re-launched in August 2001. Here's the exact wording posted at the time:

But what will excite the thousands of Genesis fans the world over is that Hit & Run are planning a major trawl through their Sound and Video Archives in order to identify historic live recordings that may be suitable for special release. We know there is huge demand for this - we've already identified over 200 concert bootlegs of the band and the solo projects available on the Internet - and, if they are of suitable quality, we are hopeful that we can develop a release schedule in the coming months

A check back via the Internet Archive site has located this page on the former site which listed all the recordings found by 2002: Soundboard tape list

Another item from the site from around the same was a video interview with Geoff Callingham (filmed by a friend of Nick Davis) where he talked about the soundboard cassettes and some of the technical issues involved with getting them transferred. The video has been uploaded on YouTube here; the quality is not great but it gives an idea of what was happening with the tapes.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/pr…2-5cd-remastered-box-set/

Excited to see this latest addition to the series of Ant Phillips box sets, especially with even more previously unreleased early 70s recordings. The inclusion of Pennsylvania Flickhouse is interesting as well. Do we know if this the same version that was released about 10 years ago now for the Genesis fan club anniversary, or some recently re-discovered demo version?

It's the same version that was previously released in 2011

Jonathan Dann - just want to thank you for providing first hand info on some questions every now and then. Much appreciated! :)

Thanks - that's very kind of you.

Thanks! I must have got it confused with the Jupiter 8.

Still, he must have used some synths there he never used elsewhere? The sound is quite distinctive. I think I read somewhere Ant borrowed synths for this album.

I believe what you may be thinking of is this: in the summer of 1983 the library company Atmosphere rented a Jupiter 8 for Ant to use for the first time for a library music project. He was inspired by the different sounds from the Jupiter 8 and used it to recorded a large amount of new material. Some of the pieces were used for the library project and can be heard on the first volume of Missing Links including Evening Ascent, Streamer and Sad Fish. Other pieces recorded at the same time didn't quite fit the library music brief but Ant returned to them for Slow Waves, Soft Stars adding new parts in places to the original recordings such as the different sections of Ice Flight.

Ant subsequently bought the Jupiter 8 from the hire company - it was used on numerous recordings from late 1983 onwards, including Slow Dance and he still has it to this day. The only synth he bought after that which is used on PP7 was the Casio CZ5000, which amongst other things is played on Vanishing Streets and the title track of the album. I think it's more a case of Ant using synth sounds that he never used elsewhere rather than different instruments.

I just love the sounds of the Prophet V Ant used on this album

Ant has never actually owned or used a Prophet V - the synths he played on Slow Waves, Soft Stars are the Roland Jupiter 8, Casio CZ5000, ARP 2600 and the Polymoog.

From my notes for Ant's Harvest of the Heart release:

With these preparations completed, the recording of the album commenced at Polar Studios in Stockholm, with David Hentschel undertaking both production and engineering duties, assisted by David Bascombe. The choice of Noel McCalla as lead vocalist for the album had yet to be made so during the sessions at Polar the tracks for the album were only recorded in instrumental form. In order to ensure that the singer would have a point of reference when recording the lead vocals, it was decided that Mike would put down some rough guide vocals for most of the tracks. With Ant and Mike knowing each other very well and both possessing a similar sense of humour, it was almost predictable that this would be the source of some amusing moments in the studio. Almost inevitably, as Mike sang the first line of Between The Tick & The Tock (“It’s so very dark in here”) the studio lights were promptly switched off....

Ok, here's the next question. When Genesis played at Oxford Town Hall in 1972, Richard Macphail inadvertently left something belonging to a band member behind when they were packing up after the gig. What were the item(s) in question?

One of the people in question would be Paul Samwell-Smith formerly of The Yardbirds who produced the Genesis Plays Jackson demos.

The other would be Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues, who arranged for Genesis to record a demo of Looking For Someone when there was the possibility of Genesis being signed to the Moody Blues label Threshold Records. The production on that recording was done by the Moody Blues producer Tony Clarke.