Posts by Sugar Mouse

Can't stop listening to the new album by The National which is so good.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

One of my favorite indie rock bands (The National) goes prog on their new album and I'm loving it ...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's a "video album" of the A Trick of The Tail album ... enjoy!

Steve Hackett is currently playing the entire Selling England album on this tour. What are the chance that they'll play the entire "A Trick of The Tail" album on a future tour? 2021 will be the 45th anniversary of arguably the best Phil Collins-era Genesis album. Would absolutely love to hear rarely performed songs like "Squonk" and "Mad Man Moon".

Not sure I like that song but I do LOVE the song "As Lights Fall" which sounds like a descendant to "Don't Answer Me" ... beautiful song.

External Content youtu.be

On this current tour, Steve and the band are playing about half Hackett solo material and half Genesis material which seems like a very good mix. And Steve does more than simply play Genesis songs ... he breaths life into them. Mike does play some Genesis songs in his shows but they're clearly covers and mediocre covers at best. When Steve plays them, they come to life and sound as good as if not better than the original lineup could play them if they reunited in 2019. Bottom line is that Mike prefers to play mostly his Mechanics songs while Steve prefers to play a Genesis/solo mix. Each can do what they like and then the fans can decide which they prefer to spend money to attend.

Just heard this new song for the first time and I'm blown away. It's called "Golden Embers" by the band Mandolin Orange.

Neil Finn is such a treasure whether he's solo or in one of his many group projects. I never tire of his songs because they are so immaculately crafted both musically and lyrically. For those who love prog, he even has a sort of prog song from last year called "Where's My Room". Frightened Rabbit were a Scottish rock band and sadly their main songwriter Scott Hutchison died last year. Such a sad story. You can read about it online but he was one of the great songwriters of this generation. They had their own sound but their influences were Big Country, U2, The National, and The Clash. Their album "Midnight Organ Fight" is a perfect album (for me). "Painting of A Panic Attack" was their last album and was their most polished and accessible album. Pedestrian Verse is also an incredible album. See below for a performance of my favorite song of theirs.

I feel the same . My personal reasons would be his voice and at times the feeling his music is at times, form over substance. Brilliant musician undoubtedly but he seems to write songs that are too big for his voice, I had the same feeling with PT and sometimes I feel he gets carried away with his own brilliance.

Agreed. For me, there are two musicians whose music I should love but I just can't connect for some reason; Steven Wilson and Elvis Costello.

My top 10 of all-time would probably be (the order changes on a daily basis) ...

1a. Genesis

1b. Marillion

3. Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz

4. Patty Griffin

5. Aimee Mann/Til Tuesday

6. The Alarm (not Mike Peters solo)

7. The Clash

8. Frightened Rabbit

9. The National

10. Tori Amos

Tough to say really. Would be either the EELS or PREFAB SPROUT - completely different bands, but that's what fascinates me in music ...

Used to be PINK FLOYD for a long time ...

Very interesting picks. Love The Eels but can only handle the dark material for short periods of time. Prefab Sprout totally different but equally brilliant.

This Strange Engine by Marillion.

I'm surprised Phil doesn't pop up at some Steve Hackett shows ... that would be incredible. Ripples? I've always thought that the best chance for a Genesis reunion would be started that way. Phil pops up at a Hackett show. That leads to a big social media response. Then Mike does the same. And then we have a nucleus to start something happening ...

It sounds like they're modelling their shows after what Steve Hackett is doing rather than recreating what the original band sounded like. I actually prefer the Steve Hackett model of bringing the old songs into the modern age.