Posts by paul795

Some that I consider perfect (or near perfect) already mentioned, such as Crime of the Century, Trick of the Tail, Selling England)

I'd add

The Snow Goose - Camel

Sunburst Finish - Be Bop Deluxe

Back in the 70s a girlfriend had an EP with Whiter Shade, Salty Dog, Homburg and Conquistador.
    I found a CD copy of it some years ago and was only listening to it a few days ago.

I recently saw this on YouTube, his voice was still great in 2006

I have all Darryl Way's albums including Wolf.. This is an excellent album.

First live gig I ever went to was Wolf, at St. Albans City Hall in about 1973.

I saw Gordon Giltrap with John Etheridge a few years ago, and Giltrap mentioned he met Etheridge when he supported Wolf on tour, so I wonder if he was the support that I saw and didn't pay much attention to (to my shame).

Apart from his time with Curved Air, I only have the the three Wolf albums and Concerto for Electric Violin I should probably check some of his other work.

Just remembered this instrumental track by Darryl Way's Wolf, named after Ian McDonald, who produced their first album, after Darryl Way had left Curved Air

[/medai]

Thanks for posting that, cheered me up!

I had a bad feeling that the Albert Hall gig in 2018 might be their last, so happy to be proved wrong.

Came across this wonderful description of early Genesis by Chris Welch, in the book "The English Difference" from 1974. The book is a celebration of all that is unique about "Englishness", but is a bit more thoughtful and critical than that description might suggest.* And probably more thoughtful and critical than it would be if it were published today. (Also striking how much of what supposedly made England unique in 1974 no longer exists) -

"While a rock 'n' roll band might appear to the casual, disinterested observer as a disorganised bunch of incompetents, Genesis are the antithesis of this concept. Four of them are ex-public-school boys, while the fifth, their drummer, Phil Collins, is an East Ender. Here the two class structures meet with mutual benefit.

so, Phil wasn't an East Ender and it was only three, not four ex-public-school boys.
    Steve was a grammar school boy (and born nearer the East end than Phil was).

Anyone remember Nationwide ? UK TV magazine programme that was on after the news in the 70s . I remember a feature about a bi plane pilot . They used the closing section of AIAMN as music accompany film of him flying through the clouds . I always think of that even now when I play it .

Are you thinking of this documentary about a Tiger Moth Air Race which was made by Nationwide reporter Bernie Clarke? It also includes a snippet of Hackett's Spectral Mornings at 40:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4_96zgEZQ

I received an email saying that the date had changed and that my ticket was valid for the new date so i don't have to do anything. Interestingly it also said, "If you are unable to attend on the new date, we can also issue a full credit voucher to cover the entire cost of your original booking including any fees."

Not even a refund - a credit voucher. What if you don't go to many shows.?

I had tickets for Cambridge, and the email from the venue (I always try to book direct with venues) said:

"All original tickets will remain valid for this rescheduled show. If you would like

to exchange the value of your tickets for a credit with Cambridge Live to use
    on events in the future, or claim a refund for your tickets, please email tickets@cambridgelive.org.uk"

I'd only just rescheduled a holiday for September next year, so I couldn't make the new date for Cambridge. Having now got tickets for the Peterborough gig, I've emailed Cambridge for a refund.

I'll never forget Nationwide ,a nightly UK TV news/magazine show using it to soundtrack some footage of a bi plane someone was flying, it has such a dreamy quality.

Do you mean the opening to this, a documentary by Bernard Clarke (a Nationwide reporter)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4_96zgEZQ

Hackett's Spectral Mornings features later in the same film, at 40:30.

I started work at BAe Hatfield a couple of months after this was filmed. I met Bernard Clarke when returned a few times in 1980 and 1981 to do a Nationwide series on the development and first flight of the BAe 146, and spent a day in my department.

Quote from Backdrifter

Do you remember the unfunny comedian support act with a ferret glove puppet? All I can recall is the puppet 'saying' "Shut up or I'll nibble your bollocks off." He then briefly came on during SH's set as well.

Yes, I remember him.

I don't recall much of the act, just the puppet. When 'The Young Ones' started a couple of years later, I wondered if he had anything to do with SPG, Vyvyan's hamster.

After all these years, question answered.

I've just seen a Q&A with Steve on Facebook where he was asked the name of the 'rat ventriloquist'. The answer was "The rat’s name was Magritte. The ventriloquist was Andy Cunningham."

Looking at Andy Cunnigham's wiki entry, there was no mention of his supporting Steve, or having anything to do with 'The Young Ones', but it turns out he was the
    creator and main writer of the children's BBC television series, 'Bodger & Badger', which I never saw, but remember my sons talking about.

Was into Supertramp before I really got into Genesis. Heard them first on a late night Radio 1 session (Peel or Harris) when Crime first came out, went out and bought the album as soon as I could after that. Saw them at Oxford New Theatre on the Crime tour , and again at the 1975 Reading Festival. The first album, Crime and Crisis are my favourites, wasn't quite so enamoured with EITQM and Breakfast, but still like to listen to them frequently now, quite evocative of my student years.