Posts by paul795

Steve Harley has died aged 73. I confess I didn't know much beyond Make Me Smile, but I've always really liked that song and associate it with my parents as being music of their vintage. Rip.

Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) was released in January 1975. So after Lamb, but before Trick.
    i.e. same 'vintage' as Genesis ;)

I was already into Genesis, saw him play with them at Earl's Court in 1977, and I'd heard 'Voyage of the Acolyte' a few times when I was at uni, as my flatmate would play it sometimes, but I didn't listen to it properly at the time.

What really made me take notice was seeing a live performance of 'Clocks' shown on the Old Grey Whistle Test, around the time 'Spectral Mornings' was released. Went out and bought the album soon after. It remains one of my top five favourite albums. Within a few months I'd also bought 'Voyage of the Acolyte' and 'Please Don't Touch', and saw him live at the Hammersmith Odeon on the 'Defector' tour. By that time I was growing increasingly disenchanted with what Genesis were doing and much more interested in Hackett and Gabriel.

Lost touch with Hackett for a bit in the 1980s, after 'Highly Strung' (distracted by small children), but saw 'Guitar Noir' whilst browsing CDs in an HMV store one day in 1993, and took a chance on it.

Since then, my late wife (who was also a fan) and I have seen him live on almost every tour, and bought all of the albums, but like others here, I've been disappointed by his most recent albums, although I felt that the few tracks from them that he has played live, came across much better on stage.

I too had been a bit disappointed with Hackett's output in the 80s. I only found out about Guitar Noir when I was browsing in one of the big music stores, and something made me decide to give it a chance.
    As soon as I heard Sierra Quemada I knew I'd made a good decision. Walking Away From Rainbows and There Are Many Sides To The Night also stand out.

Really hoping his next album will be a 'Guitar Noir' moment, to make up for some of his more recent studio albums.

Just seen that Francis Monkman (founder member of Curved Air and Sky, and composer of the soundtrack for The Long Good Friday) passed away last week. :( Curved Air's Phantasmagoria was one of the first albums I ever bought.

I bought the green box set when they were issued, and it's sat on a shelf since then.
    Various things in life have got in the way of me actually opening it up and listening to anything from the set.
    Today I finally opened it up, and to my dismay I found that the CD of Foxtrot is missing from its case! The DVD audio is there, but no CD.

Oh no... given his age it was going to happen soon but I was dreading it: RIP Bernard Cribbins. For a number of generations of viewers this is so, so sad.

Yes, and there's a whole generation who will think this is disrespectful but ...

.. will they bury him in a round hole or should it be square?

Some that I consider perfect (or near perfect) already mentioned, such as Crime of the Century, Trick of the Tail, Selling England)

I'd add

The Snow Goose - Camel

Sunburst Finish - Be Bop Deluxe

Back in the 70s a girlfriend had an EP with Whiter Shade, Salty Dog, Homburg and Conquistador.
    I found a CD copy of it some years ago and was only listening to it a few days ago.

I recently saw this on YouTube, his voice was still great in 2006

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have all Darryl Way's albums including Wolf.. This is an excellent album.

First live gig I ever went to was Wolf, at St. Albans City Hall in about 1973.

I saw Gordon Giltrap with John Etheridge a few years ago, and Giltrap mentioned he met Etheridge when he supported Wolf on tour, so I wonder if he was the support that I saw and didn't pay much attention to (to my shame).

Apart from his time with Curved Air, I only have the the three Wolf albums and Concerto for Electric Violin I should probably check some of his other work.

Just remembered this instrumental track by Darryl Way's Wolf, named after Ian McDonald, who produced their first album, after Darryl Way had left Curved Air

External Content
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/medai]

Ian McDonald :(

Maybe not strictly Prog, but label mates of Genesis in the Charisma years

Thanks for posting that, cheered me up!

I had a bad feeling that the Albert Hall gig in 2018 might be their last, so happy to be proved wrong.