Posts by Mark Bataitis

The Roundhouse Atomic Sunrise film, when last I heard (and this was some years ago) is archived away at EMI. Many years ago I attempted to obtain the full 20 minute Genesis portion of this as I had a good contact who worked at EMI. I was close, very close but Gail Colson starting sniffing around and was asking my emissary (if you will) why he was making inquiries about access to the footage, so sadly, that put an end to the mission for he didn't want to lose his job, understandably. Yoko Ono (YUCK) also is reputed to have a copy of this that she shot herself, with audio sound track. I knew someone who was trying to get it from her a long time ago but she couldn't find it (so she said).

mythnormadmanSomeone has to smoke the sky

bluedemon25 said:
    What happened wi4h the roundhouse 1970 film of the atomic sunrise Festival? I know it was advertised as being shown. In England for a few nights. Whether that went through in reality I don't know. The guy who has the private copy that was to put together the airing in theaters was and has been hard ro find any extant fo tact information from. He apparently wanted a "ridiculous" amount so it was claimed to provide a copy or part with it. have heard the rumors that Yoko Ono was involved in financing or setting it up and so maybe a copy exists in apple. I come to ask this having been made aware as a Genssis nut and both Bowie and Genesis having been filmed at this show ( and in Genesis's case its rhe earliest known footage of them). I assume this would be the earliest video of Bowie, is that correct? It definitely exists, snippets by the holder of the Genesis portion were released. No one I the Genesis fandom seems to know anything beyond what I summarized. Anyone here amongst the Bowie experts know anything else? Small glimmer of hope that maybe through Bowie fans it will see light one day and in doing so the Genssis portion too.

The film showing did happen, I went. The highlight was the Genesis footage

Lots of great stuff on here and it highlights what a loss Hackett was to be. I think the whole album holds together well without being too samey. In the CD era, Inside and Out would have been included, though Pigeons and Match of the Day probably best left as pleasant B-sides. If they could have continued to produce albums of this quality, a good balance of long and shorter songs with enough to reward repeated listenings, I'd have been happier. But I don't blame them for the changes that were to come and they did still produce some great stuff. But Wind is the last album where I really liked every track- even Your Own Special Way, despite the bland solo.

It's my personal all time favorite release by the band.

I don't rate "One for the Vine" as highly as some do, though; to me it sounds like a smoothly-done medley of song bits from a concept album.

Tony has mentioned it was something he had been working on since around the end of the Lamb tour/Beginning of the Trick sessions.

It is also interesting how taste evolves with the years; I used to like YOSW, now I wonder what I was thinking, I thought Mouse was pure genius, now I think it is Banks at his most self-indulgent. Vine was perfection and now it feels cobbled together. I found Steve's instrumentals just OK, now I think they are absolutely brilliant.

To me, W&W is 'brilliant' beginning to end and One for the Vine cobbled together? It is a masterpiece and ranks right up there with Firth of Fifth and any other of the more noteworthy Banks tracks.

Who's "Over Your Head Carter"?

Unarmed with a reference that makes sense, I'm assuming you mean Jimmy Carter, owing to his age. Should you ever get to be his age, and still have a mind as sharp as his, you'd be grateful to be propped up by pills, much as my mother is, being 2 years older.

I mean't it's over YOUR HEAD, in that, you don't understand. Carter's little pills was a product that came out long before you were born. Has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter, Bonham Carter or whatever, GET IT?

I am a casual fan. I find him a fantastic vocalist and performer, and a decent writer. I like many individual songs, from his rockers to his more reflective works. Just have never committed to an album.

His album "Live Bullet" is what brought me into his camp, I've only seen him twice, once in '77 and last year. Great performer, puts his all into it.

Can someone explain who is responsible for the costing of the book and why they have decided to put the book out at such a relatively high price? I'm sure I'm one of many fans who would love to have such a book but, frankly, to expect people to shell out this kind of money for a book of photographs is a bloody cheek. Even if I had the disposable income to afford it, I still wouldn't buy it.

I feel we live in a world where the majority of folk know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

You are under no obligation to get it and your complaining isn't going to lower the price. The man has worked hard throughout his career and as I mentioned, putting these things together and publishing them IS NOT CHEAP. Do you think the man gets a discount or something working with printers, publishers and such? I don't think Robert will cry for your patronage so fine, DON'T BUY IT.

What are you talking about? John Martyn managed to continue performing despite being in a poor state of health. Phil has only recently finished a world tour and as far as anyone knows his health has not taken a sudden downwards turn since then. Seriously, Mark, this kind of scaremongering does nobody any good at all.

Falling on stage during his tour, that's fine? You are obviously not objective when it comes to Phil, you think the man can do no wrong and scaremongering? To whom, the band? This Forum? The whole point is moot anyway as they ARE NOT going to reunite. For one thing, he can't drum anymore and his singing has diminished, A LOT. But again, you're not going to see any of it because your objectivity missed the bus.

What you do with your spare cash/money is entirely you're choice, this is another book we'll be buying.

Kind regards,

TGA

For sure, if it isn't within someone's budget or whatever, well, that isn't Robert's fault. I like his work every bit as much as Gallo's, I greatly enjoy his Lamb book and am looking forward to his next publication in May.

Doubt Phil would be fit for any reunion. Maybe seated but his health would likely be an issue. Anyway, I doubt a reunion is ever likely given the age of the guys plus Peter has said he could no longer reach certain notes on classic Genesis songs (his era)

A Genesis reunion is off the table and has been and of course. I know Rutherford's "never say never" is a popular quote but the band concluded things back in '07. Phil could never be involved anyway, his health very much precludes that chance.

I hope it might include a tour performance without overdubs. Although it was interesting to hear a latter-day Gabriel sing parts of these songs (and thus help me imagine what if), what I have heard of the original Shrine recordings makes me think that they should be fine, warts and all.

The original, untouched Shrine was just fine (to my ears), I wasn't crazy about the overdubbing at all. The purest that I am, much prefers to hear something as it was rendered, as you say, 'warts and all'.

I have a Lamb mug. When they did nothing in particular to mark its 40th I got myself the mug as my own personal tribute. I think it was from Burning Shed.

It holds tea and keeps it reasonably hot, and conveys the tea into my mouth efficiently. I really couldn't ask for much more of a mug.

I have a Lamb t-shirt, a couple of Lamb refrigerator magnets and a tour program, signed by all less Collins.