Posts by thewatcher

It's very odd in a good way, my favorite TB solo by far and one of my favorite Genesis solo releases. Closest he came to wearing his heart on his sleeve and it sold like 3 copies which is a shame but not a surprise at all - it sounds clunky compared to the commercial fare of the time. I still like listening to it.

Tour spoiler in the first post!!! Please remove!

I love this song. I remember when it came out, and it was on one of those Now! collections. At the time, the usual poppier hits sat alongside darker club music and the odd grunge track in the charts. Digging in the dirt leaned heavily into the darker, almost unsettling vibe that came from the dance music of the time, but it obviously wasn't a dance song. The 90s were good for these kinds of off-kilter sounds - I think of other tracks like 7 Seconds or Right Beside You in the same context. With Peter's track there was the added contrast of beauty in the chorus to counter the menacing verse. A terrifically textured and well-crafted song. I feel like he tried to recreate this on Darkness with a little less success (though I love Darkness too). 14 for me, but it's really 14.5.

Interesting 50th anniversary perspective on SEBTP:

https://www.goldminemag.com/ar…ling-england-by-the-pound

It more closely aligns with my view of the album than the generally universal high esteem it is held in, and similarly places Epping Forest dead last in order of best-to-worst. I like the idea of skipping from firth of fifth to after the ordeal. Might try that and see if it improves my personal opinion. I don't dislike it per se, but it's one of my least revisited Genesis albums at this point.

Currently, Eels in Boston in a couple of weeks. Have tickets to Greta Van Fleet later in the year (I'm not a fan of either band tbh but my wife is).

Am also toying with the idea of getting tickets to Protomartyr, who are improbably playing a small pub in Ireland, and finagling a trip home in the process. One can dream!

25 years old today 🥹

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No need for it to be popular at all, it's your list! I have always liked Way of the World and thought it gets too much flak. It was.one of my early favorites on the album so I still enjoy it very much. I think the menacing atmosphere they get going is great 😃!

I rarely do 15 here, it's got to be exceptional. I think this fits the bill. It feels much shorter than it is, it is so emotionally impactful and well-executed, and moves through the gears so smoothly that it feels like one of those songs that was excavated whole (like carpet crawlers, mama or home by the sea) rather than laboriously written bit by bit (like Epping Forest or Slippermen).

The wistfulness at the start with the interplay between Mike's guitar and Tony's keyboard is perfect, and complements the lyrics and vocal delivery excellently. Better again, the crescendo parts where Phil sings "I can hear my children's cries, I can see the tears in their eyes... I'll never forget that night, when they waved goodbye to their fatherrrrr... We followed the rail, we slept UNder the stars" etc and the band each belting out their parts at maximum intensity. It's so powerful, about as powerful as any band could get. Overwhelming really. if they were 20 year olds making music for teenagers it would be music for the ages but they weren't, they were later career loathed-by-the-press working men doing their best and we got this diamond for the fans instead of an enduring classic. I'm so, so glad im a fan.

I'm seeing them in August.

Waters claims the 'costume' he has been wearing is in the character of Pink from The Wall.

The mason show is supposed to be great, I'm glad you're seeing them. I feel terrible about missing out. Waters... Is a <expletives even I can't spew here> of the lowest order. Bitter old man with very limited musical ability, some good lyrics who had the extraordinary good fortune of crossing paths in his lifetime with a true original in Syd Barrett and a true musical legend in David Gilmour. He wants desperately that he'd be a legend without Gilmour but it's entirely the opposite.

Well, I would not call it fuck up. Though that was funny.

Funny and about as authentic and live as you can get. Not sure what the other poster's issue is but he seems to have a real bee in his bonnet about Peter performing live at his age.

I pretty sure I'm gonna stump for tickets to see him now, he seems to be in great form and very proud of his new material. The antithesis of a legacy act, and I'm all for it.

Chocolate chip pancakes from a cheap breakfast place, with generic syrup and sweetened whipped cream from one of those shaving foam can deals. I confess I was singularly unexcited about this. We got a bunch of pancakes because our house is full of kids for a sleepover birthday. I didn't even order for myself because I don't really like the place we ordered from, but there was so much and I was hungry so I went for it.

It was much better than it should have been! It was actually pretty delicious. Sometimes the simplest things work.