Posts by thewatcher

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

🥹 Hypnotic and sad from 1 minute in.

Precisely because for over 10 years Los Endos was all the time or In The Cage, those songs were thrown out. But the fact - they could add one or two songs from the 70s - for example Ripples, Eleventh Earl Of Mar or Carpet Crawlers permanently. But really, this setlist from 1992 is good for those who like this era from the 80s a bit more. Therefore, if these 3 albums from rehearsals in 1992 were ever released unofficially, I would be very happy.

I must have missed a step or two here. How did we get to "3 albums from rehearsals"?

Hold on my heart! :P

I've seen on the few sites that report these things that Hold on my Heart is 172bpm. Definitely too fast for effective CPR!

Great thread! I knew about Stayin Alive but I would imagine the patient wouldn't survive CPR to most Genesis tracks.

It's an interesting thing to think about doing chest compressions not in a 4/4 rhythm, but wholly not recommended I'm sure! CPR in 9/8 might lead to some sort of deficit or unusual change in personality (a new interest in trigonometry perhaps?), were the person to survive.

I also have my doubts, but I can understand why he is doing that. He will deal with the music for most of the year, there is no album promotion thing for a while and each track gets the same amount of time to be discussed etc.

I still wonder how he will do this regarding the tour. Will he play tracks that haven't bee released yet or will he stick to the 5 or 6 tracks released until then?

Good question. I assume he'll play what he considers the best tracks that work with the setlist, or are particular highlights. But who knows. It would be odd to leave off some great track to fit the release schedule.

It's not quite random enough to put in the thread of randomness!

Anyway, you likely heard or read at some point that if you're doing cpr, you should do it to the beat of "Stayin Alive", which is about 100bpm, a healthy rate to aim for if you're trying to keep circulation going in someone who's heart has stopped. It got me wondering, which Genesis tune would one use?

My limited research online points to I Can't Dance being a good one, at 104-108bpm (I think I saw both numbers on different sites). Alternatives are Land of Confusion and Jesus He Knows Me. Incidentally, all three titles pertain well also (I think)!

Maybe someone much more into the nuts and bolts of the music can offer other suggestions.

Blood On The Ceilings

:D

Sleeping While You Dream

Jesus I know Him

Reminds me of these bootleg tracklists from Amazon. Favorite is obviously "mom" but worthy runner ups in "colony of Slipper Men" and "skonk".

The idea of "audio participation time" makes me smile too. I imagine trying to coax the bookshelf speaker to wave it's arms in the air.

I love a response from a guy saying "Why isn't Gabriel in that pic?!" and having it pointed out to him a number of times that, errrm, that's him there on the right... where Peter Gabriel is... He says "Well I've never seen him looking like that which threw me off". He also makes the mistake of pompously saying "Any TRUE Genesis fan knows the 70s classics" which of course yields replies of "Any TRUE Genesis fan can spot Peter Gabriel in a band photo!" Which to be fair he handles with good grace.

Being Penelope Pernickety as I am I enjoyed a number of erratic responses such as "My favourite is In The Cage from Seconds Out" which is interesting, being enough of a fan to know Cage (same guy also cites Undertow) but then placing it on Seconds Out.

Yes, there are definitely a few off-kilter replies! Some replying with album names, some with the opening lines of a song, and some with solo songs like the woman who said "it's a toss-up between I wish it would rain down and throwing it all away". And there's also the stone cold classic "house by the sea".

A couple of nights ago I had a dream that Ray Wilson was playing a show of Genesis songs and that Tony and Mike would be in attendance. I rushed there after work expecting a sizeable show and probably the trio playing some songs, but it was in a small lounge and Ray was just playing the last song, the title track off CAS, by himself with an acoustic guitar. Tony and Mike were indeed in attendance. The small crowd was seated at circular tables. Mike and Tony did photo shoots with members of the crowd in the parking lot after. The show was in a remote place so I had to figure out how to get home and was trying to order an Uber or something when it ended.

I think a couple of words passed between me and either Tony or Mike, but I can't remember what.

For those interested, an account with nearly a million followers asked people what their favorite Genesis song is. Interesting spread of responses with an expected surplus of Suppers Read, Cinema Show etc but a lot of Home By The Sea and several more unexpected choices like Just A Job To Do. I find the variety of choices (and respondents) a testament of sorts to Genesis' breadth of appeal.

https://twitter.com/crockpics/…HwEPNxZD3SfNshd5jbzA&s=19

5. It's very bland, with the exception of some mildly interesting chord changes and arrangement around the bridge. I imagine Tony thinking that if it was a mechanics song it would be a hit, or something along those lines. I think Banks at his most interesting solo was The Fugitive, where he was being more true to himself. For his non-classical music career, he had the option of doubling down on that, which he didn't, or trying to be consciously more mainstream and commercial, which he did - with poor results.

Agree that A Piece of You was the highlight of this album.

I think the best we can hope for is that at some stage, someone sees value in reissuing the previously released "archives" sets or the box sets, and in the process of doing so, decides that some expanded form that includes a few more treasures is worth the hassle. Maybe that would even include a rehearsal or two, though I doubt it (it honestly sounds like a marketing nightmare: here's this shit we thought wasn't good enough to play live thirty years ago. Pay us lots to hear it now!).

I'd have thought the Genesis fans most likely to splurge on such items would be, how to put it... at a stage of life where paying for daycare is less of a concern and buying a nice box set is feasible. But as I've also said I know nada about the economics of these things and my hunches are as likely wrong as not.

As I mentioned in an adjacent thread, I had the experience of another band releasing an album one song/month, and it wasn't great. It's too long a gap for momentum to sustain itself, so by the time the next song comes out you've kind of lost interest. Maybe PG will make it work. I'll dabble in the tracks as they come through but probably won't pay close attention until the whole album is out.

I've seen that same interview. I'm not sure if he was specifically talking about live recordings. I'm thinking he might have meant that there are no previously unreleased songs available or release. Things like "Little Leaf", "Wooden Mask", "The Movement", etc. I didn't take it as necessarily ruling out further live releases.

Like many on here, I'm disappointed they're not releasing any complete concerts on this box set, but I'll take whatever I can get. Maybe if this thing sells enough, they'll consider releasing some full concerts.

I've heard of The Movement, but what are Little Leaf and Wooden Mask?!

I've no expectation of a totally unheard song ever surfacing. As others have said full concerts would be nice. I bought a 3 cd set of BBC stuff on amazon that includes more of the Trespass songs to flesh out the official upcoming box. It would be great someday if a full version of the Do The Neurotic rehearsal makes it's way out unofficially. Still can't believe they even tried that! I wonder if they ever tinkered around with the likes of You Might Recall behind closed doors.