Posts by thewatcher

It's raining.

It's pouring.

On a side note, re: my ice rain comment above. Walking in it reminds me of the scene in Home Alone where the lanky thief is slipping and sliding down stairs that have been oiled or greased by the kid. But with the real fear of injury added.

These recordings have been available elsewhere for a while, but apparently they are newly remastered and all together in one collection - and can be pre-ordered at Burning Shed to boot (no pun intended) :

https://burningshed.com/genesis_watcher-of-the-skies_cd

If you don’t already have these recordings and/or prefer factory-pressed CDs, here’s your chance to get them.

If I were twilight alehouse I think I'd be a little ticked off at their description of me.

After having snow and ice in this region which usually has zero snow we now got ice rain. First time in my life I ever saw this: rain that instantly freezes everything into a layer of ice. Getting to work was an adventure, to put it nicely.

Ice rain is the worst.

I mean, short of disasters like tornadoes and so on.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As entertaining as it is that the colours and fonts we've seen so far, and 25 seconds of a song, are being picked apart and forensically analysed I'm disappointed that the studio environment and equipment visible in the video aren't being pored over at molecular level. C'mon guys!

Plus of course he speaks in the video. Can we not spot some linguistic code within his words that reveal everything about the album and tour including track sequencing, setlist and stage design?

I don't think we're trying hard enough here...

😆.

I've noticed sometimes a reddit comment will become the basis for an entire news 'article' on a weird site, and they appear to be entirely bot-generated including a superficial history of whatever the subject is. I wonder if we could do something similar for PGs upcoming tour. "Upcoming Peter Gabriel tour will be BIZARRE if fan theory holds true". Followed by an article about the audience having to wear blindfolds and noise cancelling headphones while being dressed as teletubbies. Or something.

Lots of artists have left similar statements addressing the common "you sold out" comments. Let me add my take on this: it's easier to write a noodly pretentious overly-extended nowhere-going prog longtrack than a good pop song such as That's All, and it's easier to write a bland samey formulaic throwaway charts hit pop song than a prog masterpiece such as Moonlit Knight.

Totally agree with the above pair of comments. Genesis were great at both types of songs. They have made the point that they always tried both too - Silent Sun, IKWIL, ToTT, YOSW etc. They just got much better at the pop song craft as they went on, and still made proggy tracks like HBTS and Domino as they perfected the hits. That the sound changed I think was a reflection of the times, and technology in the industry and they got enormous flack for keeping up. What an unusual, great band. It's no wonder we bloody love them!!

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Love, love this band.

Hahaha! I've always been struck by 'unifaun' but never in that way. If anything it amuses me in the same way as Steve Miller's "pompatus".

Yeah I'm nitpicking a tiny bit of a great song. "Undinal" in FoF strikes me the same way.

14 from me. Lyrically, it's all over the place, some good bits, some bad, but musically, it's Genesis at their best, Mount Everest looking down on the valley that is the likes of "That's All" (Or "That'll Do" as I call it) 10 years later.

When I was getting into Genesis as a teen I was obsessed with Mama and HBTS, and found That's All totally skippable because I found it too straight, or uninteresting. My cousin at the time kept putting it on (partly to wind me up, but also because he liked it). I've come around and although it'll never be my favorite track, I think it's an almost perfectly constructed pop song that's executed brilliantly. Phil's vocals are on top form, as they almost always were around that time. The song has shades of dark and light, and a catchy hook. I think it's very hard to pull something like that off and speaks to the talent of the band. That they could do Dancing with the Moonlit Night and That's All is pretty much unparalleled I believe.

14 for me. It's a highlight off SEBTP along with firth of fifth. Apart from that I find the album altogether too 'pastoral' for my liking.

I love how tight the band sounds on this and as others have noted, it's prog without the bloat or meandering noodly quality prog often has (which I find Genesis has very little of mostly). The "there's a fat old lady outside the saloon" bit really hits and is my favorite part. It's a highlight in the Genesis catalog really. I don't like the inclusion of the word unifaun so prominent and so early though - it's a clangy bit of progginess to my ears.

That's great news. The snippet is pretty organic / sounds like only real instruments were used. Probably Peter didn't use a lot of programming stuff on i/o? We will find out soon, I guess.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, though it's hard to extrapolate to the rest of the album. The little bit here sounds very organic indeed, and has a nice sense of urgency. Hope to be able to catch a show.

I am actually really happy about the new single:

External Content youtu.be

Yep I like the dynamics in that more than the other track. will definitely continue to keep an eye out for more. Is it life-alteringly good? No, but there are enough elements I like, and a general feeling that they are trying something with potential.

Kirstie Alley. Actor from Cheers and Look Who's Talking. Reviewing her filmography I thought she was in more things I've seen than she actually was. Maybe she had a certain energy that stuck with me. Rip.

I remember listening to Up an awful lot in the year it was released, I traveled a lot and it was a major companion piece to those travels. Darkness was such a great opener, with the jagged, unsettling verses and sorrowful, melodic chorus. It has a signature Gabriel component of expressing vulnerability to perfection. 15/15.