Posts by thewatcher

'Ram Rise'.... perhaps a reference to the way Japanese people pronounce the letter L? If that is a horrible stereotype I apologise.

Indeed. I'm really not sure how it came about. I remember buying bootleg DVDs (in China more than in Japan to be fair) and the blurb on the back would often be completely garbled. As would the subtitles (I vividly remember some scene in Pirates of the Caribbean with the subtitles "her microwave is broken", "great, we'll never hear the end of it" or something along those lines. Needless to say it was completely divorced from whatever was happening on screen). And sometimes there would be quotes from reviews on the cover, but instead of the usual glowing 5 star tributes they would pick the worst statements from reviews where they absolutely panned the movie in question. Quite funny really.

Anyway, as to this alternate version of The Lamb, I'm curious as to how Carpet Drawers sounds, and even more so "the Chainbar of 32 the Doors"!

So even though this is Genesis related, it's pretty random.

I was faffing around online and stumbled across a secondhand copy of Genesis Archives 1967-75 for sale on a Japanese Website.

The listed tracks are hilarious. The Ram Rise Down on Broadway?? Was it someone using an dictation tool? If so, how did generate Here Comes To The Super Natural : Setti??

I agree too about Mama working particularly well. I think the new register leant it even more weight, creepiness and intensity if it's even possible. The visuals worked very well for it too.

Going over it in my mind now brings fresh sadness that they won't play anymore 😞.

I thought Duchess was the pick of the lot. The combination of visuals and music, timing and energy was all just perfect.

Beyond that, Domino was a highlight on the night I went (even despite the very sloooowly falling over dominoes on the video), and HBTS. Follow You Follow Me was also a big one, with all the phone lights (in place of lighters I guess) held up. Special moments.

The cassettes Geoff has/had have all now been transferred onto Hard drives. These are in stereo and were only for the band to listen to the previous nights performance. Not for live release.

Sounds ideal for some sort of subscription model where you get a couple of new releases each month. Not for professionally packaged CDs to sit next to Trick and Duke at the local record store. I know I'd buy in, and enjoy it warts and all, and if I would then I assume a lot of other fans would. Of course my assumption might be wrong, and I know this kind of stuff isn't Genesis' style, and I know the material is theirs to do with as they please. But it would be really interesting.

Thanks all. The w&w tree is a nice thought, as is the fox head.

The picture of the NC girl tattoo above makes me feel like that's not the way to go, it's so big! I should say, I have one small tattoo from over 20 years ago (when I was younger, and very hungover!). I guess I could get a small version of her.

Will continue to mull it over and update in due course!

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This has been ringing in my head for a couple of days.

Yes, am absolutely thankful that a member is giving the live experience of the greatest music ever made . I think many forget how essential to the genesis sound he was. That haunting guitar sound was invited by Steve . Utterly unique beautiful . Without him they would never have been the band they were. (Of course that's true for the other 4 as well.) He defined an originality that I don't believe any other guitar player on the planet could have done.

He has a beautiful unique sound and style. If a guitar can be very lyrical, his is. I agree his sound was a huge part of the Genesis sound, a very prominent part of the fingerprint. I think - but am open to correction - that he incorrectly claimed to have invented fretboard tapping as a technique, that obviously became a huge part of metal.

I don't think of best guitarists of all time too much, I think there's an elite group of masters that were/are the best. I would have Steve in a group with David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Phil Lynnott and several others I'm sure belong there but I don't know their work as well (Hendrix, Slash, Clapton etc). Brian May maybe. Bernard Butler too. Billy Corgan is an extraordinary guitarist but lacks some tiny bit of expressivity those others all have.

Not sure about masterpiece but I like it a lot and appreciate the way it grew steadily in my estimation, in fact still is. There's a richness to it, with lots of layers and textures and stuff it gives up gradually. I like when an album does that in these days of instant gratification. In that sense it sounds like an album that took years to make.

Agree with all of this. They are precisely the reasons I love that album.

I got someone at work with this one. She's taking a trip to Ireland and I told her it might be helpful to know in advance of renting a car there. She bought it until I pointed out the date!! It brought me quite a modicum of joy on an otherwise grey day.

While he certainly could do the all-action guy, he also has a depth and range those other guys don't. Neither of them could've done The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. Imagine Schwarzenegger - "You dead ghost sonofabitch!" (Or indeed Stallone - "Dwaa dwaaaa dwaaaaa dwaa-dwaa-dwaa-dwaaaaaaah!")

PS - I liked this tweet, see MNS's above it first.

That tweet is great. Hard not to read Willis' words in his John McClain "how can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" voice.

Yes, I think he was a very good actor. Surprisingly understated a lot of the time, and had great comic timing too. He also wasn't afraid to branch out into pretty trippy stuff like the 5th element and twelve monkeys which I really loved.

A relatively late grower for me is Genesis. Of course side 1 is ridiculously strong but there's something a little off-kilter/atmospheric/exotic about the whole second side that kind of atypical for them. I don't think it'll ever be in my top 3 but it's starting to get the same listenableness as Abacab for me.

The Zombies.

Probably one of the only touring bands older than Genesis. When I saw the little picture of them in the ticketmaster app, I couldn't but think of Phil's phrase from the intro to Old Medley; "these magnificently preserved torsos" 😆

all uphill

Huh. I never knew those were the words. Whenever I sang it in my head, or sang along, I'd have some sound alike words. "All a peel" (edit: or "I'll appeal", I think I had that in mind too) or something. If I ever consciously thought about it, I would have known that was gibberish and put "all I feel" or something, but I'd know it was a bit off. I just never bothered to check.

It's kind of nice I know now I guess!

I received a gift of a tattoo for my birthday some time ago. I've dithered as only I can, but in light of Genesis finishing up I figure why not get a Genesis tattoo?

I'm not a very visual person so I'm looking for suggestions. Two thoughts I had were 1) the girl holding a mallet with a human head on the ground, from NC or 2) some still/image from the Mama video in the style of a charcoal drawing.

Sorry if I chose the wrong sub-forum!