Posts by thewatcher

It's only fifty two degrees Fahrenheit right now, about 11 degrees Celsius. Very still. The air is filled with birdsong. I've been thinking about gardening lately. Sometimes, what's good for the soul is bad for the back. Later, it's going up to 65 Fahrenheit, that's about 18 Celsius. And once again, it looks like we're going to be enjoying those beautiful blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way.

Everyone, have a great day!

There's a bit of daylight opening up between number 6 and 7 on the list. Looks like a growing consensus on what constitutes the 'best' versus the 'rest'. Interesting that all albums except FGTR have multiple votes, and also that the 5 of the top 6 were released sequentially, with the sole outlier being Duke. I also find it interesting that 2 of my favorite 4 are in the 'rest' grouping while the other 2 are in the 'best' group.

No, they opened with an instrumental version of Behind The Lines in 07.

I’m leaning towards Duchess this time around but I’d love it if it was Squonk. That was the first song I ever saw Genesis perform live, and to come full circle some 40+ years later would be a real treat.

I'd like this too. But I can't see it happening. I'm guessing Behind the Lines, or a distant second wild card guess is The Lamb Lies Down.

I'd also love if they walked on stage, fearless, and blasted out the opening chords of Watcher of the Skies but that definitely ain't gonna happen. I think they'd worry half the crowd would be gone three minutes in. Who knows, maybe they'd be right.

Re: the cover of R-Kive. What were they thinking? A first year graphic design student would have made it, then deleted it to save themselves a failing grade.

I like the W&W cover like others here, more than some of the music on it. It's quite evocative, a real November album. And Nursery Cryme is very distinctive. Great to see Trespass getting some love!

I seem to enjoy underrated music by bands, like it's a secret or something. This is surely one of the best examples. No, it's not perfect. It's pretty messy and chaotic actually (and the 13th is awful) but a lot of the chaos is joyous and beautiful. Want, This is a Lie and Jupiter Crash are terrific.

"However unsure
    However unwise
    Day after day play out our lives..."

Agreed! A second album would have been called for, it’s a shame that it didn’t work out. I loved the darker grittier sound. For what it is, CAS is solid.

Totally agree. I'm a huge fan of that album. I've spouted off before on what a shame it is how things didn't work out. Suffice to say, I think they had a lot of potential, of which there was plenty of evidence in the CAS material, and a second album would have been so interesting.

I know we've derailed the thread massively, but it had been defunct anyway.

ACF is extremely tepid for me. I can't get excited about (or interested in) it. My favorite banks solo album is probably the fugitive, but I'd take any Genesis album over it. I do think Genesis had a lot of variety too, obviously from era to era, but also within an album. I think the trio stretched themselves with something like tonight, tonight, tonight with a long trancey bit and lyrics about drugs. For all banks' contribution and outsized writing contribution to Genesis, he had one of the best drummers of all time, a legendary vocalist, and an exceptional bassist working with him in the band. The difference between his work with them and without is stark.

Twenty one degrees centigrade, that's about seventy degrees Fahrenheit. Fine, dry day with a gentle breeze. And we've got those beautiful blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Everyone... Have a great day!

I'm the one who voted "outstanding"!

I've always felt that this was one of the standout tracks on the album, showing real promise as to where the band could have gone. I like the darker tone and the greater emphasis on the guitar (is it a synth guitar?) and I thought the vocal line was ideal for Ray Wilson's range. The drums are sparse and Nir Z plays some tasty fills. And the middle eight is just beautiful!

It should have been longer, though. The first time I heard it, I thought the end section was actually the start of another song so it was a real shame that it faded out so quickly. However, editing software is freely available for the amateur mixers amongst us and I've cobbled together a longer mix that, to my ears, sounds just right.

These echo my thoughts on this track, although I gave it 13. I think that configuration of the band had great potential, a lot of which was manifest in this track. Very dark, exploratory, new young writer. I was so hopeful for the next chapter at that point. It was a big deal at the time because they spent a million quid on the video. To no avail really.

His chords and chords changes, melodies, moods and atmospheres are quintessentially Genesis, he literally cannot play anything without sounding like Genesis

This is an interesting observation. I know TB is central to Genesis, but there is not a single song from his solo career I would place above the lowest Genesis track. Maybe, *maybe* something like Queen of Darkness over Hold on my Heart. I find the overwhelming majority of his solo work doesn't really sound 'like' Genesis. I think most of it would have been rejected by Mike and Phil.

I'm not crazy about it, that album sounds more Genesis than most of the stuff on IT or WCD.

IT, WCD and CAS all sound like Genesis to me, but I prefer CAS by quite a bit to the other two.

Yep, I've just relistened to Tell Me Why and Way of the World for the first time in a couple of years and can confirm that they are both stone cold classics.

I jest. Tell Me Why isn't their best song. It's not the best song on the album. It's not a great song. But I like the repetitive guitar that is more prominent than the keyboard, unusual for a Genesis song, and the laid back melody for some reason sounds like French pop to me. Way of the World is a bit like Jesus He Knows Me, starting with a breezy major key intro and then the bottom drops out of it a bit with a shift to an unsettling minor key along with the portentous lyrics. It doesn't rock as much though. And it loses direction in the end but I like it overall.

Actually haven't listened to this album in a long time. Really enjoying it. Does anyone else keep coming back to Genesis because if you haven't heard an album or song in a couple of years, it's like hearing it for the first time again?

Preachy would entail some sort if intensity or even passion which is completely absent from those lyrics, it's just perfunctory generic, like talking about the weather and glib, although not remotely as glib as way of the world. Musically there's nothing there for me, it's sounds like absent-minded Beatles.

Way of the World is awesome 😎. "Take the danger out of a naked flame..." Love the way Phil half whispers that verse like it's a threat.

I agree with you about Never a Time, Hold on my Heart and Since I Lost You. I think they are a bit too samey (and not my speed). It does make the album feel a bit padded. I'd probably keep one for balance, Since I Lost you maybe. And I might be on of the very few that doesn't think On The Shoreline is great. It's all right, I can see why they left it off. I've seen many people say it should have been on the album but I think there are much stronger tracks on the album.

I do love Way of the World though.