Posts by thewatcher

Recently, I played the "Shapes" album a lot. Still not in my Top 3, but this has grown a lot over time. Especially Silver Rainbow and Just A Job To Do

Love those tracks. They are very different (from each other, and in the 'sounding odd' sense). Along with Mama and HBTS, that album is half amazing to me. The other tracks all have something going for them, but there's just something uneven about the album. It's like if they spent another two months on it, added a couple of other tracks and made an EP out of the weaker ones, it would have been better.

Actually, just occurred to me, at the time maybe they were each holding good ideas back for fledgling solo careers. It was the first album where every song was Banks/Collins/Rutherford I believe.

So sad that Jim Steinman has died;(

Bat Out of Hell 2 was one of the two albums that most informed my subsequent tastes in music (and to some extent the person I am). The other was We Can't Dance. I can see elements of all the rock, pop, metal, grunge, electronic music etc I went on to enjoy in those releases.

Jim Steinman's passing has prompted me to go back and rediscover his work.

I’d love to hear CAS songs. CAS, Shipwrecked and Not About Us would be great.

I'd love to hear them too but the chances are below zero. In theory, it would be no different than the band playing The Knife, but practice is often different from theory! Also I think there's a good chance Phil's voice wouldn't be up to a song like CAS which is comparable to Mama vocally.

Jim Steinman 😢

This shocked me when I saw the headline. He was only 73 but apparently had been sick. He has written some of the most enduring songs of the past half century including Bat Out Of Hell and Total Eclipse of the Heart. He seemed to have a love-hate relationship with Meat Loaf, in that they frequently ended up in court suing each other, but they always seemed to come back around and did their best work together.

If I recall correctly, he was also going to sing some early song himself (maybe even Bat out of Hell, or more likely an earlier song from some stage production) but a female biker broke his nose so he was unable to and the job fell to Meat Loaf. The favor was somewhat repaid when Meat Loaf ruined his voice touring Bat out of Hell, and was unable to sing the follow up album (Bad for Good). Steinman lost patience waiting for it to recover, and sang it himself. It was a relatively minor hit; when Meat Loaf was finally able to sing again, they released Dead Ringer which was much more successful that Steinman's solo attempt.

Anyway, a larger than life character, a nice guy too by all accounts, and a certified giant in the songwriting world of rock. RIP.

Have you noticed a specific influence of Genesis or the members on a song or other artist?

Two come to mind for me. Nine Inch Nails "She's Gone Away" from Twin Peaks The Return episode 8 heavily derives from Mama, I think. 'ha ha ha ha'... Etc. Check it out https://www.google.com/url?sa=…Vaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

And much less specific, I think Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins liked to compare Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness to The Wall of their generation, but I always thought The Lamb was a much more accurate comparator. Mellon Collie was a lot less monolithic than the Wall, and a lot more varied and melodic, like the Lamb. I think The Fragile was The Wall of the 90s.

Not for nothing but Silver Rainbow would be a very odd song to end an album on.

That said, it's a very odd song no matter where it falls in the running order. I'm very fond of it.

I agree that everyone in this forum seems pretty cool and accommodating. I’ve only been a member on here for maybe a week and half. I’ve never seen Genesis live but it doesn’t seem like that is a qualifying factor for having to be apart of this forum. For me, I was two young in ‘86 and ‘92, and just couldn’t get to a concert in ‘07 because of where I was at in my life. I think a lot of people In their late thirties and early-mid 40’s may be in the same boat. If they do come to the states on this next tour, I’m determined to see them. In the end, it doesn’t diminish my love for the band.

I'm in the same boat except I was lucky to see them on the CAS tour. I had tickets to two shows in Germany in 2007 but wasn't able to go, something I will regret forever. The concert footage of them in their prime makes me envious of the people who saw those shows, but I totally agree - doesn't make me like the band less, in fact they're my tied-with-two-others favorite band ever!