Posts by thewatcher

First barbecue of the season. Salmon, with a little salt, pepper and a simple spice mix from the local spice shop (i find the big brand ones are often mostly salt). Potatoes cut in cubes, carrots and asparagus, all with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

Add fire + smoke and you can't go wrong.

Look at what Pink Floyd do - or King Crimson.

It seems everybody else is doing nice boxsets and archive stuff - but not Genesis. ☹️

Yes, I think they are light on this front. Not sure I'd want the insane prices Pink Floyd had for some of theirs where the packaging was seriously over the top, but some sort of boxsets/archives would be welcome (to me at least). It feels like the band just aren't that interested.

I don’t think we will ever get a list.
    some shows are pretty much known for different reasons, but since they never realized the Board Tapes project, I assume we won’t get additional info that easily.
    also, times have changed. Physical discs may not be an option for such a project anymore.

I don’t think anything will come anymore ...

I agree, and it's a shame. I wonder if they ever did a feasibility study to show it wouldn't be worth it, or if they just decided it wasn't worth the effort. Either way, what a waste if no one ever gets to hear them.

talking more about it been a dig at religion of sorts

Love the song myself

I don't know, I can't see too many taking great offense at this stage. If it was a pointed dig at the messenger of a certain religion's deity I could see an issue, but the target is christian TV evangelists and the song is nearly 30 years old.

Anyway - I'm with you, would be delighted to hear it on the tour. If nothing else, Phil's vocals are less likely to struggle with later material I assume.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well this is lovely. A cover of Mercury Rev's song Holes sung by Brett Anderson of Suede and Nadine Shah, backed by an orchestra of sorts.

Any chance 'Jesus He Knows me' will be on the setlist ?

The lyrics maybe a little controversial tbh

What way do you mean? I'd like to hear it tbh, I think it's one of their better short(ish) rock songs. It has great energy, I love how it starts off in this goofy major key and then suddenly shifts minor (I think) and takes off. I also think they nailed it with the whole TV evangelist thing.

well, the commercial failure was limited to North America. Even Phil was losing ground there with Both Sides and after that.
    CAS deserved a follow up, Ray had a contract for two albums. They obviously did everything to make this period disappear (see Sum of the parts), so it’s no wonder they didn’t want Ray in this recording. This was just after the CAS tour ...

Totally agree CAS should have had a follow up. Many follow ups! They were still in their 40s, there really was no impediment other than ego (and only Mike's ego at that).

This album has some of the best lyrics of any album I know.

'Pass on, what's mine not yours, pass on... To create what's mine not yours I'm gone pass on, create create pass on pass on!! All mine for yours pass on, pass on!!! Give all, give all give all!!'

Edit: 'everything's fine, everything fine... war! war! war! war! war! war!'

And how to beat a chorus like this?!

Open up the window

Let the light in

Throw him out Throw him out Throw him out

I am currently drinking the only beer brewed in north America in pitch lined wooden barrels. It has a quite lovely flavor, and really tastes like something you'd get if you walked into a small tavern in a village in the Czech republic and asked for a glass of the local brew.

Notch, pitch lined pils. Very hard to get since it sold out in hours but delicious if you can find it.

I would enjoy this very much. I think some of the choices are *extremely* unlikely (earl, keep it dark) but you never know. If the band plays true to form, they'll throw in snippets of songs here and there. What would blow me away would be if they strutted onstage and opened with Eleventh Earl of Mar one night, then walked out and opened with Watcher the next night, Squonk on another night.

I would have thought the title track from Abacab would be most likely, unless man on the corner is a much easier proposition for them given Phil's condition.

I like your comment about CAS. It is firmly one of my favorite Genesis albums.

It's unlikely they'll choose it but if they could perform Undertow that would be really good. They always snubbed that song, never once performing it live.

It was always one of my favorites from that album and I would love to hear it live, but i think they are more likely to play dark side of the moon (in it's entirety). For some reason, I can see them giving many too many a whirl just to excite the long term fans, but undertow I put in the same bucket as seven stones in terms of probability.