Posts by thewatcher

KID stands out imo, so do MASJ and Dodo, I think MOC is a pleasant listen but nothing more than that, the rest is forgettable in my book, even the title track that should be a highlight, at least live but the band dropped altogether. It's probably the only modern era album whose songs never get performed live and personally I can understand why.

I absolutely love the title track, it's one of the most 'live' sounding studio tracks they have. Phil's vocals are almost snarling and the pulsing interplay between the instruments is like a knife thrusting in and out. Very energetic and inventive.

Bigger issue... the scope of what different fans love is a *huge* draw for me in Genesis. There are very few big bands that cover the range of tastes they do.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I feel exactly the same about Abacab, only I get to a different conclusion. Ever once in a while I give the album a chance, something draws to it: the energy, the novelty, the production, the crisp sound. It is imo, together with Shapes, Phil's absolute vocal peak, I've always maintained that at the time he was one of the best vocalists around, including much more celebrated figures like Bono and Sting. I saw them live and he was a force of nature, not always the case before and after that period. Anyway, when I'm done listening to Abacab and I break it down, I inevitably have to conclude that I'm spite of all its redeeming qualities the material is quite weak when compared to all previous albums with the only possible exception of ATTW3. Very few songs stood, imo the test of time and have particular significance in their songbook.

I agree about Phil's vocals here, 81 - 83 I think was his peak both vocals and drumming. I was born in 1981 so I have no direct experience unfortunately!

As for Abacab, it has an oddly anonymous quality in that it is sandwiched between albums with more celebrated tracks like Behind The Lines and Turn It On Again on one side and Mama, That's All and Home By The Sea on the other, than anything on Abacab. Maybe that keeps it a little fresher in my mind. I enjoy the off-kilter nature of Keep It Dark and Another Record.

I have picked Selling England and The Lamb - and I quite like Abacab more and more, the older I get ...

Abacab is a great grower isn't it? There's something about it that keeps me coming back. I think it's more exploratory than the albums either side of it, the production is sparser and there's an energy in the musicianship that isn't always present in Genesis. For example, WCD which I very much like hasn't got the same punch throughout.

71, multi millionaire - the last thing I'd be doing would be work or trying to please strangers.

Depends how much you like what you do, really. I'm reminded of something Stephen king said once, that he retired after he published his third or fourth book (roughly something like that). The point being he didn't have to work anymore, writing became a hobby instead of a job.

Be sweet if people paid me millions to read, listen to music and veg out in front of the laptop.

Thinking a bit more positive about the Dublin shows happening . Looking at the 3Arena website Snoop Dogg is playing the 12th September with 3 days free before Night 1 of Genesis. I imagine they may do a few rehearsals those days in the Arena September is still a long way away and as we know Covid is so unpredictable.

Imagine how good the summer could be knowing we have the tour to look forward to for the Autumn

What a small world. I saw Snoop Dogg in that arena maybe 2006 or 2007. It might still have been The Point then. He put on a brief but phenomenal show. He sprinted onto the stage draped in an Irish flag and the crowd went completely berserk! It was brilliant entertainment. If I could see him and Genesis in the same week in the same venue, I'd be a content man.

Fingers crossed it works out in Dublin. I think the rollout will accelerate. I retain deep enough reservations that a throng of people inside screaming at the top of their lungs will come to pass that soon but hopefully!!

Btw, imagine if Snoop Dogg and Genesis co-headlined a tour where their sets were covers of each others songs. HAHA 😆

Audio luddite here in peace. I love it when music sounds great. If streaming or downloading I try to get the highest quality files I can (flac or what). I enjoy vinyl although the time I get to listen to it is short these days... I have a pair of elac bookshelf speakers I *think* sound great and I just treated myself to a pair of sennheiser wireless over ear headphones. I will occasionally research different vinyl releases to see what's thought to sound good.

So I am interested in this topic. I have to ask... Is there no upper limit to improvement in audio quality? In other words, what is it about this golden egg of Genesis vinyl that would sound so much better than the best commercially available one? Beyond a certain point, how can the aural quality of drums, guitars, keyboards and other instruments be enhanced in their journey from the musician making the sound 45 years ago to the sound entering my eardrum today? Is the goal to get as close as possible to being in the room where the sound was made at the time the sound was made?

Sorry for the stupid questions and don't want to detail the thread by any means. It is interesting that this vinyl exists and that some dude who may not be a big Genesis fan (or may be, I don't know him from Adam) has it.

Also Mr.Farmer: good luck with the lottery!

2. Running Up That Hill

If you haven't already heard it, Meg Myers had a cover of Running Up That Hill out a while ago. It was accompanied by a striking video and I thought the cover itself was excellent.

Edit

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.