Posts by Wayne

I’m going to see Steve Hackett for a third time later this week , hopefully I don’t sit next to anyone who has either this cold or the virus although I got an alert on my phone last week saying someone at the Bradford show had reported having it. Such is life I guess onwards and upwards!. They report it but they don’t give you an approx seat to make you sweat a bit!.

Well levels of covid are increasing here in the UK due to the majority of us having the Astra Zeneca Vaccine and it wearing off over the months since. The booster on the other hand isn’t been given as quickly as the government would like. Fingers crossed for these dates but no one has a crystal ball.

I saw Steve’s Band twice the week I saw Genesis twice, was a very busy week for sure and I really enjoyed both for different reasons. Steve’s show at Scunthorpe Baths Hall was incredibly loud upstairs so much so that I couldn’t stand it and had to blag an alternative seat which was in the stalls and a lot more comfortable for my old ears!!. I also went to see him the next night at Bradford and was sat upstairs in the Gods and the view was pretty abysmal as you were sideways on. If I was a selfish sort I could of lent over the rail to get a view of the show but would have inevitably ran the risk of offending the guy sat next to me by thus completely obscuring his also limited view ( so I once again moved seats to one I noticed was empty by scanning the stalls ) a risk I know which paid off as it was empty both before and after the interval!. Steve’s band are terrific especially the chap who plays the flute/keys and all manner of other stuff. I agree they are probably better than Genesis at playing the songs from the Hackett Era and I did like the sprinkling of Steve’s own stuff prior to the interval. Genesis had a better light show and sound quality but couldn’t for me match the ability of Hacketts band for musicianship. Both great acts in their own way but the intimacy of the Hackett shows and earlier Genesis songs had the edge for me personally. Genesis themselves I feel were worth the entrance fee but it was a massive price difference from £200 Genesis to £40 Hackett which in these times is a terrific bargain for a great nights entertainment. I do think it would be great for Steve to be invited onstage one more time by Genesis to perform the solo from Firth of Fifth that would be something else to see and probably very emotional if it ever came to pass. The touring bands I feel offer something different to the fans to view which makes the shows complementary to one another.

Emailed you Graham although I’ve already seen the show I would take them off yo if someone who has t been yet to see it decides they don’t wish to enquire. Good of you by the way . It would cost me a bit to travel north of the border but Better than them not been used I guess. Hopefully someone who has t seen this show can attend it.

Well what can I say just seen them and they were absolutely fantastic, I actually thought they were better than 2007!. Phils voice for me tonight was as good or better than I expected. Pleased as punch with his performance totally totally happy!. If his voice was weak earlier on in the tour I personally thought he sang very very well and held most of his notes. The backing singers for me didn’t have to do much and weren’t needed at all. The set list mirrored the previous shows no surprises at all. All band members seemed to be on their game and were relaxed and as far as I could tell no bum notes from anyone. But Phil was a standout and he really has to be commended for putting on a great show like this given his health - he really has put the last Domino TV show worries far in the past for me. I wish I was going tomorrow night now!.

Has anyone actually received any physical tickets yet?. I booked on the phone for one of my two planned shows, and therefore it doesn’t show on the Ticketmaster application as an E Ticket (booked with Ticketmaster direct). This is for the first Leeds Arena Show and I’m wondering if tickets are going to be sent out?.

I’m watching what the government are doing with these trial events for example 2,000 fans in an open air football stadium that can seat 90,000 - a little conservative if you ask me and that was on Sunday of last week at Wembley Stadium!. The World Snooker seems more realistic in that they are gradually increasing attendances over the fortnight to hopefully have full capacity indoors for the final if all goes well with the feedback they get from tests of those who attend. Currently I think they are around 300 in a 900 seated indoor Arena with no problems touch wood!. I think looking at 20,000 in Manchester Arena singing and Hollering their appreciation of Our heroes is pushing it?. Snooker on the other hand is a more or less library type situation were people don’t exactly jump about or sing for 90 mins!. Mind you I’m not saying Genesis fans have a tendency to jump about!, but I have seen the occasional hand aloft.

I actually think over here the numbers are as low as they are probably going to go. Thankfully numbers have dropped considerably from 1250 deaths in January to 4 yesterday. Due to the superb vaccination program we have had over here. Problem is who knows how these new mutations are going to affect things by September?. Hopefully they don’t but as I said our government is cautious in the extreme. Probably for good reason but sooner or later you just have the face the facts that it’s here now. And we must get back to doing the things we enjoy sooner rather than later ie, concerts.

I actually think this will be the soonest outcome, if you look at it closely. They have rehearsed all the songs and invested all that time and money into the stage set etc. If our government over here are so cautious for the coming months as Mike said it won’t be happening anytime soon. So why not cut your loses and look to performing where it’s practical to do so. If the United States are more accessible then why not for you USA fans?.

the question is though is the US allowing such live events soon?, can anyone over there chip in with thoughts?.