Posts by MoonlitKnight

thanks. glad I could help!

regarding your other comment - my partner thought the set was pretty demanding for fans who are more into the hit stuff. There were quite a few longer and instrumental tracks....

I agree, especially if by "fans who are more into the hit stuff" you mean literally only into the stuff that was played regularly on pop stations, beginning with FYFM. By that measure, Behind the Lines, HBTS/SHBTS, Fading Lights, Cinema Show, Afterglow, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Duchess, Domino, DWTMK, and Carpet Crawlers are all songs that aren't familiar to the ears of the pure pop crowd.

Nic mentioned before the tour that he had practiced at least parts of Watcher of the Skies and Supper’s Ready. My impression is that they were at least considering those songs but set them aside due to the difficulty in playing songs like that for the first time in 40 years.

Dodo/Lurker, after hearing it on the radio yesterday and being reminded how much I love that song.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Was there actually an 'era' where bottles were thrown at bands? Why was this behavior ever tolerated to such an extent?

I wasn't there and I was 1 year old in 1982. But support bands are a common, easy to understand thing. What kind of brain dead fool throws solid objects at someone trying to do their job. I can't share the view that this behavior was inevitable, with the caveats I mentioned.

If I had been in Genesis I would have gone on stage and told the crowd that if one more object was thrown at my support act, I would not be taking the stage myself. Bullying enrages me.

In the early 90s while in graduate school I had a job one summer working at the arena in Salt Lake City. One night The Cure played there. I was tasked with stage clean-up after the show. There were literally dozens of panties littering the stage. All I could think was “Women want THAT guy?” It was definitely a different era.

This isn’t a dream, but yesterday I was listening to the 70s station on satellite radio here in the US. Suddenly this thought popped into my head “They’re playing Phil Collins or Genesis on the 80s station right now.” So I hit the button for the 80s station and I hear “Well I’ve been waiting for this weekend, I thought that maybe we could see a show.”

I hit gold on the way home from work yesterday listening to SiriusXM satellite radio. First Misunderstanding on the 80s station. Then I flipped over to Deep Tracks and . . . They were playing Robbery, Assault and Battery 😁

Last half of Supper’s Ready, sans vocals.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have a very soft spot for this tour, as even though I didn't go to a show for being too young, I love WCD and felt to some extent like I was "there" in that I was a massive fan of the band and all their music by the time the tour video came out. I watched my vhs of that tour until it was badly worn. Loved the visuals and selections. I also read that the IT tour video was at the end of a long tour leading to the band seeming tired, while the WCD one was much earlier in the tour and they seemed fresher.

But oh the folly of cutting TTT in half!

Also in hindsight, they were really so young despite having been around seemingly forever. It's a pity they went away.

True that about cutting TTT in half. Such a shame. I read an interview with Tony somewhere a while back in which he described the keyboard solo as being “deceptively difficult” (or some such language) to play. I’ve always suspected that explains the song never being played in full since the IT tour, rather like the piano intro to FOF was never played after the SEBTP tour.

I remember hearing "Follow You, Follow Me", "Misunderstanding", "Turn It On Again", "Abacab", and "Man on the Corner" on my local rock radio station (98 Rock in Baltimore). At least a few of those made it to my mix-tapes recorded from the radio :) MTV added "Missed Again" and "Abacab" to regular play, and on one of their Saturday night concerts they showed 3SL, sealing my interest in the band.

My Dad liked Phil's singles as well as the Genesis tunes playing on the radio. He wasn't a musician but had a good ear for a good drummer & he really liked Phil's style. Dad took me to see Asia & Yes in 1983, and I remember we talked about catching Genesis, but the show was in DC and mid-week... just couldn't make it happen. No doubt he would've loved the show as much as I would have!

Ah, 98 Rock in Baltimore. I grew up listening to that station. I recall one of their station ID’s being “98 Rock . . . KICK ASS ROCK-N-Roll!” Lol. Better that WLPL (was that before your time?) They used to play songs faster than the regular speed (I guess to fit in more advertisements?)

Yes I listen to this podcast a fair bit and I've only just about got to the stage of telling Kemp and Pratt's voices apart! Pratt's voice is a little lighter in tone - and, as established, he interrupts a lot.

I'm not sure about Hackett getting frustrated at these Genesis questions vs solo career questions. This is a guy who barely ever performs any of his new material and does regular tours based largely on Genesis material so he's kind of laid down the rails himself.

Plus, a lot of listeners will only marginally have any interest in Genesis let alone the solo work of that other guy who left them in the 70s who isn't Peter Gabriel. So the slant of the questions is understandable in that sense.

Couldn’t agree more about Steve. He seems perfectly comfortable with reliving his Genesis days, whether on stage or in interviews.

We were at the show in DC as well, sitting up sigh the “little people.” It was fantastic show and a evening my girlfriend and I will treasure always.

At the concerts I attended the lights during Dodo caused an audible gasp and then an eruption of cheers during the Abacab, 3SL, and Mama tours. The lady I was dating at the time of the Mama tour was not a huge Genesis fan (she preferred the Talking Heads). But I remember hearing her exclaim “Oh my God!” during Dodo. The only other light-related crowd reaction that ever approached that at the concerts I attended were the “glowing Phil” effect during the 666 section of Supper’s Ready and the exploding color of lights and then thousand pins of light effect during the end of SR, circa 3SL.