Posts by Trick of the Wuthering

I think they must tour Europe in some capacity? Germany, Belgium and Italy in particular were such huge fanbases for the band so tickets would definitely sell well for a continental Europe Last Domino? tour.

There's very little chance of Ray returning. Tony and Mike still shudder about the CAS tour and the lack of US ticket sales so I can't see that.

I also worry that Nic will want to carve out his own career with his own band soon rather than being 'just' the Genesis touring drummer.

Peter is constantly indecisive but one final show/tour or album with the four/five is and always will be the dream!

Being too young to have seen anything pre-TIOA in 2007, my thoughts are based on videos of shows.

I went for the Duke Tour as the Lyceum recording shows Genesis at the peak of their powers with a powerful setlist of old and (then) new Genesis. The Duke Suite in full, plus The Knife as the second encore, make it a special tour for me. That would be my time machine location!

Second would have to be the Trick or Wind tours just to have heard Steve within Genesis playing Fly on a Windshield and Firth of Fifth live. Again, these look epic in the 1976 tour recording.

I saw the concert last night and it was a phenomenal gig. Almost 2.5 hours of Genesis magic.

The star of the show (or boy wonder as his dad called him) was Nic. An absolute monster behind the kit who held his own with a heavy booming drum sound. His drumming was particularly brilliant on Second Home by the Sea.

Tony, Mike and Daryl were as professional as ever and the backing singers topped up Phil's vocals nicely. As for Phil, his singing was good throughout, albeit without the power of old in some places - but we expected that. His vocals were especially impressive on No Son of Mine and Invisible Touch.

I did feel the setlist was a little too safe though. I think a rarity like Many too Many, Ripples, Undertow, Los Endos or the ending of Musical Box could and should've been thrown in rather than dusting off I can't Dance once again.

Surprised, but not disappointed, that Hold on My Heart and Jesus He Knows Me didn't make the cut.

As good as Duke's Intro is, I do agree that it should've been switched up and something like TTT or Mama should've opened up.

The only slight disappointment was the Fading Lights medley. By launching straight into Cinema Show, they robbed the song of its thought-provoking sadness and beauty. The heartfelt lyrics need time to be dwelt on rather than BANG Cinema Show.

Highlights: Second Home by the Sea, Duchess, Afterglow, Firth of Fifth, DWTMK

I've now had a lil' listen.

Once you get past the wall of sound (which can be a little too much at times), there are some really good tracks that reveal themselves after a few listens: Relaxation Music for Sharks, Held in the Shadows and Shanghai to Samarkand, in particular.

Hackett's guitar work is phenomenal as ever and Fox's Tango sounds better within the album than as a standalone single.

As ever, the music just needs to breathe a bit. I'm exhausted after listening!

I hadn't thought of Icarus Ascending and It's Yourself is a good shout although it's very much locked into the Trick album, sound and mood-wise.

I think Kim could've worked in a similar way to Horizons.

If I removed The Voice of Necam and How Can I and replace it with Wot Gorilla I think mine could work (ish).

I read an article earlier today where Steve goes into a little more detail about his departure. It's an extract from a new book that comes out next week which I'm excited to read.

The article gave me an idea: what if Phil, Mike and Tony had been a bit more receptive of Steve's ideas? I think there would've been a lot more material for a double album like this. I know this wouldn't have happened so soon after the Lamb double but it's fascinating to ponder...

Disc 1: side A

Eleventh Earl of Mar

Land of a Thousand Autumns

Please Don't Touch

The Voice of Necam

Disc 1: side B

One for the Vine

How Can I?

Hoping Love Will Last

Inside and Out

Disc 2: side A

All in a Mouse's Night

Kim

Blood on the Rooftops

Your Own Special Way

Disc 2: side B

Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

I think this is a good balance of W&W and PDT tracks and I would love to hear How Can I? and Hoping Love will Last with Phil on vocals.

Match of the Day and Pigeons would be B sides to the singles so no need for Spot the Pigeon.

I know it's unlikely, but I think it'll be a massive shame if Steve and Peter don't play at least a part.

Heck, even David Gilmour and Nick Mason played at one of Roger Waters The Wall gigs in 2010 and they despise each other!

Options:

• Peter and Steve to join in on a full rendition of Supper's Ready as the encore. Phil could sing the majority of the song and then Peter could appear unannounced to sing 'Guards of Magog' onwards with Steve's iconic guitar playing us out. Epic.
    • Peter and Steve join in for I Know What I Like, Carpet Crawlers or The Knife as an encore.
    • Phil says "here's one we really should have played live but never did" and Steve appears to play Blood on the Rooftops before segueing into In That Quiet Earth and Afterglow to end the main set.

Why not?

What I think it'll be:

Abacab

Squonk

No Son of Mine

Follow you Follow Me

Home by the Sea

Second Home by the Sea

Hold on my Heart

Firth of Fifth

I Know What I Like

<interval>

Dukes Intro

Turn it on Again

Land of Confusion

Mama

Throwing it all Away

Domino

Tonight Tonight Tonight

Invisible Touch

I Can't Dance

Los Endos (+ Nic drum solo)

Encore

Fading Lights

The Carpet Crawlers

Do you have a link to this video? Is it this one?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    or a different one?

Has this interview taken place yet?

I read on Wikipedia recently that 'Former Genesis member Steve Hackett in interviews said "Mama" was his favourite song from the band after his departure, calling it "beautifully haunting".'

There was no source to this, does anyone know if it's true?

To that end, I would be interested in knowing what Steve's favourite Genesis song is from after he left. I know he was a big fan of Mike's Smallcreep's Day and that he watched the band on the Duke Tour and was impressed.

I think this could be pretty much spot on although I can't see them not playing Throwing it all Away, Turn it on Again or I Dan't Dance. (I really could do without the latter though.)

I do wish Hold on my Heart was replaced by a more underrated gem like Many too Many, for example.

To mix it up a bit, I'd love to see them open with Squonk.

The right and only call with April so close. Incredibly exciting to see some rehearsal footage too.

Sad to see Phil sat down as well as there only being one drumkit. Not discounting the possibility of a second being wheeled on for the encore or something like that though.

Different to see backing singers too.

Daryl and Nic in particular sound great and I'm liking the look of the light show. From the looks of the displays, Domino and Land of Confusion will be certainties but we knew that already.

Who else spotted Mike's double-headed Rickenbacker?

Now going ahead in the Autumn. https://twitter.com/genesis_band

Most importantly, rehearsal footage!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Match of the Day and Pigeons are fine, nothing more nothing less really. However, Inside and Out is a tour de force from the beautiful first half to the rousing second half.

I really think it should have been on W&W, at the expense of All in a Mouse's Night or even Wot Gorilla?

Would Hackett have stayed for another album if Inside and Out was on W&W?