Posts by Phil Morris

Ahead of this week's anniversary of the release of The G&G (actually in commemoration of Mike Giles' birthday today) I was reading the transcript of an interview Ant did with US radio in 1977. I was surprised to read the interviewer say: "late last year, we got this album [G&G]..." Given that recording continued into November '76 and then mixing was required, this seems quick for promotional copies to be circulated, even in rough form.

I was further surprised by this answer to the inevitable touring question: "I'd love to take this album on the road. I don't think it will happen for a while 'cos it's going to need a lot of resources; a lot of back-up; a lot of musicians. Heavens! I could conceive by early next year, with the second album under my belt, taking both albums on the road..."

Phil Morris

Great to see the two Scottish tracks on there. Really looking forward to the new dels album.

Yes, it's the original UK edition from 1989.

The only other CD I have had turn bronze like this is Tony's Soundtracks which is inscribed on the disc's center with "Made in UK by PDO." Through online research, I found that it's common for discs manufactured in the UK by PDO between 1988 - 1993 to have this problem. Smallcreep's Day, though, does not say made in UK by PDO.

Thought so. I had a load of these discs at the time the problem was first reported. Fortunately, labels were very good at replacing them and I was able to do so for all but a couple of obscure CD singles which had been deleted.

Phil Morris

Also off the radio (most of my new-to-me stuff tends to come from BBC 6Music radio) are Field Music; here's Count It Up and Orion From The Street. The latter is crying out for a middle-eight or some other variation but I do like what's going on otherwise.

Another new Field Music track is being premiered by 6Music tomorrow morning. The brothers Brewis like their Genesis. I spent Gabriel's set at the Hop Farm festival in the company of David Brewis, having just seen their own set.

Phil Morris

On another note: Where does the title of the B-side "Compression" come from? It's not even remotely hinted at in the lyrics as far as I can tell.

Way back in the early '80s, when I was familiar with the album, and knew of the B-side but hadn't yet heard it, I thought the title sounded like it could be connected somehow with the "mechanical" theme of the SD suite.

I've always surmised that this was the working title from where it originates (the end section) during the SEBTP sessions.

Phil Morris

When I pulled out my CD, I was disappointed to find that the 30 year old silver disc is starting to turn light brown/rust colored. I know this probably means it is in the early stages of CD Rot and will eventually stop playing. For now, fortunately, it plays fine. As a back-up --- since a replacement CD isn't available --- I was able to successfully rip the tracks from the CD onto my hard drive as both WAV and FLAC files.

Which edition is that? I'm guessing the original UK one.

Phil Morris

What are your plans for live performance now/once the Genesis Revisited chronology has run its course? A return to a focus on your solo output?

Any plans for acoustic shows? If not a tour, then select showcase performances based around the latest album.

(Of course, by the time touring resumes and Hackett has finished his planned Revisited shows, Mediterranean Sky will be long past and he will have moved on to the promised next rock project.)

I only have Checking Out Of London and enjoyed that a lot. Sadly, can’t find my copy anymore. Any idea if this will be made available again any time soon?

Not aware of any intention to reprint, but I see there's a copy currently on eBay in the UK to buy for a tenner. This is the cheapest I've seen it for a long time. For some reason it seems to be listed at very high prices.

Phil Morris

He also wrote

and I agree to both. I always liked John‘s vocals. But of course - he is not a natural singer. Not is Steve

I did note that reference in the review, but feel it was a little too kind in saying "occasional" and the earlier reference to "lovely" is rather contradictory. I have no desire to be harsh to John but I do believe in objective criticism. (Even if that could be considered an oxymoron.)

PM

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if Permanent Waves was released in Canada (or anywhere else) before the UK? I know this was the case with earlier albums but wonder if by the time of PWs they were big enough to command simultaneous worldwide releases. It's just that the UK release date has been identified (you can usually ignore any date W*k*p*d*a gives, especially where bigger North American acts are concerned) but I'd like to know if it appeared anywhere else beforehand.

Thanks,

Phil Morris

Woodroffe being phoned by Peter Gabriel during interview, well that may be a clever way to hint to loyal fans that some kind of reunion is being prepared. Or it means nothing at all. But I've said for years now, that if a reunion with Gabriel and Hackett should take place it should be short - only a few songs on a couple of concerts. Anything beyond that is unrealistic.

I agree with Simon's suggestion. My immediate thought was that Gabriel was thinking ahead to future solo projects and sounding him out. Or maybe it was Woodroffe's birthday and Gabriel was ringing with felicitations.

I do wish the BBC had not included this bit as the conspiracy theorists have been triggered.

Phil Morris

One thing I am disappointed in, maybe I am being picky, is the CD included with the LP's is just shoved in a plastic sleeve, was hoping for a digi pack so I could put it on the shelf with my other SH CD's and be able to find it easily.

That's how they are always done. It's a nice touch for it to be added. Far from all record companies do that. Usually, it's still been "necessary" to buy the CD edition of Hackett's albums for the extra disc. This time around it's really not necessary.

Phil Morris