Posts by Phil Morris

...In 2004 I was at Lisbon _Rock & Rios to see PG when he had just released UP, with the crystal ball bouncing on stage (Growing UP). It's perhaps the only time he was at a multi-day festival...

No, he's done such things several times before. For instance, the very Glastonbury festival you mention. (In 1994.) Coincidentally, 3 July is the 40th anniversary of him doing this at Belgium's Werchter Festival. (Albeit that this was one of those spread over more than one location.)

I think there may well be more European dates next spring/summer 2024. This would make a lot of sense given the investment in the stage show and trying to re-coup some of the costs. Secret World ran for over 2 years, Growing Up/Still Growing Up was another 2 year + I think. At the moment the I/O tour only covers 6 months. There may be shifts in band members especially the younger ones who already have careers in their own musical areas and have prior commitments. I'm hoping there will be more in Europe anyway!

Except that, as you touch upon, he's now 73. I guess much depends on how much of a toll this tour takes, especially vocally. There's also the little matter of how poorly it's sold (on the whole). However, given he's bound to want to capture this show for posterity and as there's no sign of him doing so in the 'States, I wonder if he'll do something akin to Live Blood and do a couple of shows somewhere - perhaps Hammersmith again - specifically for the purpose.

I watched The War On Drugs and I'm really into this band now.

One of the direct influences on 2021's I Don't Live Here Anymore was stated as 1980s Genesis, particularly IT. I don't see it myself, but it's a good album, nonetheless. (Though not my favourite.)

I’m pretty sure that the American tour will be filmed !!!

Possible new setlist : Shock the monkey / Games whithout frontiers / Mercy street or Carpet Crawlers (!).

What makes you so sure he will film in America? Recognising that Plays Live was recorded in the US (before being "tampered with") he's tended to release his Live material from elsewhere in the world.

A copy of the programme has just sold for over £100 on eBay. Madness. I can't believe anyone would pay that. The trouble is, doing so will keep prices inflated (for the time being at least) and raises sellers' expectations of what they can get for it. I'm just pleased there are no more shows for a while, which will hopefully deter any "entrepreneurial" acquisition at gigs - if only in an attempt to recoup ticket outlay.

Peter obviously likes to mix them a little bit to make sure they're of optimum quality (which fits with what we know about his philosophy of sound! :), so I don't think the format (whether download or physical formats) are going to matter, he'll still want the gigs mixed a bit, so the wait I guess is understandable.

I have a *lot* of the Gabriel Encore series releases and can assure you this is one occasion where the recordings were not "tampered with" at all and were straight recordings of the gigs. Inevitably, there were just too many of these, issued too soon after the shows for any post-production to take place.

Christ, I hope not. Look at what a disaster that '94 appearance happened to be. I know I'm not the only one who thinks festivals - but this one in particular - is just not right for certain artists. There's a clamour from Kate Bush fans (for example) every year wishing she'd do it and I can't help thinking what an highly inappropriate platform for her music.

Interesting facts #273, #274 and #275:

Pigeons was originally intended to be the lead track on the EP, despite the swear word which would have denied it airplay (in the UK at least). The French were less prurient and released a two track single of Pigeons c/w I&O.

The Canadian black vinyl edition of the 12" EP is far more scarce than the "considered-rare" blue vinyl.

When the EP was reissued for the 2012 RSD, the original mixes were used, rather than the Davis remixes, the only re-release which hasn't used the latter since those first appeared.

It's very odd in a good way, my favorite TB solo by far and one of my favorite Genesis solo releases. Closest he came to wearing his heart on his sleeve and it sold like 3 copies which is a shame but not a surprise at all - it sounds clunky compared to the commercial fare of the time. I still like listening to it.

I do realise how hyperbole works, but The Fugitive did make the UK top 50.

Birmingham gig had great sound and the visuals were innovative - it was good to hear all the new stuff live with the power of a 9 piece band.

I had a prime spot on the floor and thought the sound was sub-par. Certainly for a Gabriel gig and I've heard significantly better at arena shows. I've heard reports from others in other parts of the venue that the sound was "awful". I know this is always a risk in this kind of venue but as I say, if others can overcome it, then Gabriel certainly can. Especially when you're paying just shy of £200 for a ticket.

And I so wish mobile devices were banned at gigs. It's one of the reasons my gig-going days are largely behind me. The King Crimson approach seems to work just fine.

Peter Gabriel in 2007 on IKWIL: "I never really loved the chorus. It was one of Tony's melodies and after a while I got very bored of it. But it was fun playing the sort of jerkier and jumpier melodies of the verse with Phil. The lyrics certainly weren't conventional pop lyrics. Again, I think I was trying to explore what lurked beneath the surface."

Hard to answer that in detail. However, I will do my best! As a band they all seem to be very focused and energetic. There was a nice atmosphere on stage. The two singers dovetailed well. They take turns to be on lead and back up vocals. In terms of the songs it builds to a brilliant finale. Surprisingly for me from "I can't ..

First, excuse me for deleting much of your text. Purely for reasons of space, I can assure you. For me, the difference between Collins and Howar is that the latter immediately shows his stage background. He comes across - to me, I emphasise - as the most shallow performer since... Oh, I don't know: Nad Sylvan. I have to shut him out from every show I see him. Now, Roachford, he similarly milks it. But in a less abrasive manner. And sings so much better.

I don't have either of these items, but my understanding is that with the exception of the 2015 RSD Spot The Pigeon reissue (for some reason) all releases after Davis remixed the catalogue were those versions. For instance, the 35th anniversary vinyl edition of Seconds Out. I'd be very surprised if they'd returned to the original mixes for these, but apologies I cannot say definitively.

Depending on quite what you mean by his "last tour", it was in 2011 when Gabriel talked about trying out Supper's Ready "not long ago".