Posts by Snowbound

I’m going to cheat and do my top 5 phil collins studio tracks and my top 5 live versions.

Top 5 Studio Songs

In The Air Tonight

I Cannot Believe It’s True

Easy Lover

Take Me Home

I Wish It Would Rain Down

Honorable Mention: It’s In Your Eyes

Top 5 Live Songs

The Roof Is Leaking (Perkins Palace 1982)

…And So To F (Perkins Palace 1982)

Behind The Lines (No Ticket Required 1985)

The West Side (No Ticket Required 1985)

Drum Trio/Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (First Farewell Tour 2004)

Honorable Mention: Both Sides of the Story (unplugged)

Here are my favorites from the Hackett albums I’ve listened to:

Voyage: Ace of Wands

Please Don’t Touch: Hoping Love Will Last

SM: Everyday

Defector: The Steppes

Cured: Funny Feeling

Highly Strung: Always Somewhere Else

Till We Have Faces: A Doll That’s Made in Japan

GTR: When The Heart Rules The Mind

Blues With A Feeling: Big Dallas Sky

Genesis Revisited I: Deja Vu

Darktown: Rise Again

Out of the Tunnel’s Mouth: Nomads

Squackett: Perfect Love Song

Genesis Revisited II: Eleventh Earl of Mar

Wolflight: Loving Sea + Black Thunder

Night Siren: Anything But Love

Well, based on the music alone that was better than I was expecting based on the comments so far! The samples give it a bit of a feel of one of the tracks on Darktown, The Golden age of steam, maybe? It's ok.

I was also reminded of those tracks. Honestly it felt like “People of the Smoke” is a worse variation/combo of songs Hackett’s already released… that said I don’t dislike the new track. I enjoy the parts of the song where Hackett shreds, even if I don’t love the entire song.

I certainly wouldn't pay to see a Steve Hackett concert where he plays a bunch of his more recent stuff. I think he's realistic enough to know what his fans want to hear live. I saw him about a month ago, and it was incredible.

Yeah there aren’t any songs from Surrender of Silence I’m dying for Hackett to play live. I would love for him to play “Anything But Love” and “Black Lightning”. That said I’m not sure if those songs still qualify as recent.

Good to hear. I’m glad he’s not playing the whole thing and wouldn’t expect him to, but good that he’s celebrating the album even though he’s not prominent in much of it and felt he didn’t contribute as much as he wanted to at the time. It does contain some of his best work with Genesis and very typical Hackett sounds such as Carpet Crawlers and The Lamia. Just hope he does a little more solo stuff as well.

I’m glad he’s honoring the Lamb’s 50th anniversary but I also hope he does more solo stuff live. Next year is the 30th and 40th anniversaries of Blues With A Feeling and Till We Have Faces so I’d love to see him revive some deep tracks from those records. I could see his current band nailing Footloose, Tombstone Roller and A Doll From Japan.

I am curious how many Lamb songs he’ll play. on his website Hackett states he’s “looking forward…{to playing Lamb} favourites as well as other iconic Genesis numbers along with solo gems.“ Since his show’s are a 50/50 solo material genesis split I was hoping that his second set would be 100% lamb material but I guess not.

If anything it’s the sax/clarinet/flute parts that have been expanded. I would expect a prolonged Waiting Room jam to mop this up but I think Steve’s class will shine through in restraining himself on other songs.

You took the words out of mouth! I’m also expecting a moody sax jam on Waiting Room. I also really want him to play In The Rapids and It. I imagine It would have killer guitar/keyboard/woodwinds interplay.

Let's hope he will finally perform A Trick Of The Tail in its entirety. His Selling England and Foxtrot shows were stellar, I don't care too much about The Lamb but Trick would be a real treat.

A full trick performance could be cool… but I also feel like parts of that album are so banks heavy that I wouldn’t mind him dropping some tracks. Since his first solo album was made nearly back to back with trick (and with Phil and Mike) I’d be down for a set with songs from Trick and Voyage. It’d be a good way of increasing the solo songs in his set. I’d be happy with a Trick/Voyage anniversary set like this:

Dance On A Volcano

Entangled

Squonk

Star of Sirius

Ace of Wands

Ripples

A Tower Struck Down

A Trick of The Tail

Los Endos (w/ Myopia and Slogans excerpts)

I’m sure if I took the song “Eleventh Earl of Mar” off W&W, and advocated putting it on there, someone would say, “nahhh. It’s too over the top for WW. Those flamboyant guitars and blaring keyboards. Bad fit!” Or if you never heard “Your Own Special Way,” you’d think it’s way too lovey-dovey pop bubble gum for WW. Strummy guitar tune aimed at chicks thirsty for ballads. You could argue, “Blood on the Rooftops doesn’t belong on WW. It’s too cynical and about contemporary issues of the 1970’s while the other songs are more historical. Bad fit.” You could argue “All in a Mouse’s Night” is too comical, too goofy, not dignified like the other songs.”

I dare say we could argue anything could be removed. The titular Abacab may have a bit of a crunchy synth sound, but it seems that Hackett liked it as his favorite post-Hackett song, so it has something Hacketty to it. I think it had an energy to it that would fit fine. But he’ll, what do I know!? 🤣

Abacab doesn’t remind me much of W&W BUT Eleventh Earl was the song that immediately came to my mind as well as the song most like it... if that makes sense. In terms of it being Hacketty... a lot of Mike’s guitar playing in Genesis demonstrates inspiration from hackett, especially early on. I don’t personally hear much Hacketty going on w/ Abacab but I respect that you do.

Hackett has mentioned that he could’ve added slide guitar and that would’ve been very interesting. There’s lots of Genesis tribute bands out there but are there any that try to explore what an 80s 5 or 4 man genesis would sound like? I would love to hear someone try a Hackett slide guitar arrangement of Abacab.

Possible, yes, but unless one of them came out and said that's what it's about, I would be guarded about making such a claim.

I have made it very clear in my previous point that I am not claiming that anyone in Genesis had an affair during or prior to the writing of Abacab:

Tbc I ain’t accusing the trio of infidelity.... Again not accusing anyone of anything but I think it’s in the realm of possibility

It is very possible the song is about an affair but it is not a reflection of anything that was happening in the band’s personal lives. That said if the song is about a real affair and they’ve kept their mouths shut for this long... I don’t think their gonna start yapping now. Plus if only one member wrote the lyrics it is possible that the rest of band thinks it really is a song about nothing.

Wow. This is top-level contortionism. Nicely done!

Thanks, I think? Lol

But I kind of like that fans of a band will wring meaning from a song the band themselves have said doesn't really mean anything. In a sense, why not - all creative arts should be open to interpretation. It's just that in this case I can't imagine they intended any of the stuff suggested above.

There's also the notion that even if the writer isn't actually aiming for specific meaning, there may be some unintended significance given a creative person expressing themselves will always in some way shape that expression. (See also the brouhaha I was involved in regarding Walrus in the Beatles thread).

I wanna make clear that I was never suggesting that I had the true interpretation of Abacab or anything. There are certain songs in the Genesis cannon where lyrics are very important then there are songs like Abacab, and Firth of Fifth where the lyrics aren’t that important (to me) and are almost solely tonal poems. So when I listen to Abacab I’m not engaging w/ the lyrics to the extent I would on Supper’s Ready instead I’m mainly listening to the instrumentation. My guess on Abacab’s potential meaning was less a theory and more half-baked thoughts I was curious if anyone else had. Even if Abacab was intentionally a nonsense song I agree that works of art can have “unintended significance”

Leaving aside the contortionism, it also doesn't follow that any alleged 'infidelity' in the lyrics is about a member of the band.

To quote the incumbent President of the US “C’mon Man”: You don’t think it’s POSSIBLE that rock stars would be having affairs. Tbc I ain’t accusing the trio of infidelity. I’m just saying I’ve always thought it was possible that whoever wrote the lyrics to Abacab was having an affair and it unintentionally was reflected in what were supposed to be nonsense lyrics in a song about nothing. Especially given the fact that Phil Collins literally had an affair during his 2nd marriage. Again not accusing anyone of anything but I think it’s in the realm of possibility

I also thought the song was about infidelity. If that was the band’s intent I could see them deciding not to reveal that... for personal reasons.
    That said, in recent years I’ve also wondered if the song isn’t about an affair but instead about moving on from Peter Gabriel and creating a new identity for the band. The line “Tell me, do you think I'm to blame?” Could be about the public’s (incorrect) assertion that Phil forced Peter out.Cause you've taken someone else's girl“ Maybe the band itself is the “girl” in the song and even though Peter left they associate him with it (reflection of someone else's name). This left the band feeling trapped (Wake and find you're covered in cellophane) and desperate to poke a “hole” in the public’s image of Genesis to stylistically move on

But if he had that confidence in his new stuff he'd tour it properly, he wouldn't choose to do a token couple of tracks and get them hurriedly out of the way before focusing on an entire 44-year old album by his old band.

Initially you were saying that Hackett had no conviction in his new material and now you’re saying he has no confidence in it and, to me, that’s two different things. If you’re trying to say that Hackett isn’t CONFIDENT he will make enough money touring just his solo material than I think you’re probably right. But If you’re saying that Hackett does not have personal CONVICTION in his new material ie he does not think his new songs are good...then I think you are coming to that conclusion based off your personal negative views of his recent albums and arrangements. to claim that Second’s Out taking up 2/3rds of his set means he lacks conviction in the remaining 1/3rd is a logical fallacy. It would be like saying that Yes’ Masterworks tour is proof that Yes only has conviction for their long songs. For both tours there are multiple other factors that went into why that theme was chosen be they financial, artistic or nostalgic. Also keep in mind that Hackett fans have grown accustomed to his tours including old solo songs. So for that remaining 1/3rd he was left with a predicament as each new song he plays takes up space that could have gone to an older fan favorite. In my opinion if Hackett had no conviction in his new album than he wouldn’t have played ANY songs from it and just stuck to what he KNOWS works live. But that’s the thing: this is just my opinion and if you’ve just been saying your opinion than I respect that and I sympathize with ur disappointment as, like I’ve previously stated, I would also prefer more solo material live. But if you were seriously trying to analyze Hackett’s decision making then I strongly disagree with your conclusions.

I'm guessing the setlist didn't change on the third night in Birmingham either? That, I believe, was the only chance that they would introduce new songs on this British tour. I think that Jesus He Knows Me and Hold On My Heart are ready to go if necessary but probably won't be played unless they change it up slightly for the American tour. I think it may have been decided since last November's rehearsals that neither Abacab nor the Musical Box would be in the set this tour since they weren't printed on the T-Shirts. I still can't believe they did that as well as released the cd with nearly the same setlist order. I am still so disappointed that Abacab didn't make it since it is/was so popular and gives the set another harder rock song. It actually is still one of the songs that is played on classic rock stations here in America. If they did rehearse it though, I fear that it would be the edited version since that again is what is on the CD set. That to me would be worse than not playing it at all.

I've been looking at the setlist and I thought that it seemed shorter than past ones but it still says it is 140 minutes, which is already over the 2 hours we expected them to play. I really don't know what they would consider dropping to swap another song in. I'm stuck on this.

I’m also disappointed they didn’t play Abacab. To be blunt tho I’m not surprised. Mike hasn’t had the inclination to play guitar with any fucking energy for decades. The man who recorded “Out into the daylight” is on his way “out to the pasture”... I kid. Mike is doing a great job from the videos I’ve seen; ESPECIALLY when he’s slappin da bass. But his GUITAR playing has mellowed with age.

Are any of these lives streams still up? From the videos I’ve seen Phil’s voice isn’t great but it’s not BAD. WAAAY better than the PBS doc. Setlist would be fine for me if they just added Abacab and SOMETHING from A Trick of the Tail. I was hoping for Dance On A Volcano to replace Los Endos cuz in 1992 Phil used a vocal effect on the song so it wouldn’t be too demanding for him. Honestly I wouldn’t mind them dropping the abridged Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and replacing it with DOAV. I think Dance would work well transitioning into Invisible Touch. Although mike would have to give Daryl guitar duty on IT for that to work. I’m surprised that the pic of the rehearsal setlist reveals they even tried doing Los Endos. Not at all shocked it was dropped cuz it’s really a two drummer song... but then again Hackett has been doing it w/ one drummer for years. I think Nic could’ve pulled it off. I suspect it was dropped cuz it was understandably too hurtful for Phil to sit out ANOTHER instrumental he used to drum on. Frankly we’re LUCKY he’s being a good enough sport to allow the boys to do Cinema Show AND 2nd HBTS AND Firth of Fifth

Seems to me like he's saying he'll be done. By extension of course that means Genesis, unless Tony and Mike decide to do something extremely unlikely. I needn't point out here that the band has two other front men they *could* call upon if they wanted.

And if Tony and Mike REALLY don’t want to bring Peter or Ray back they could always get Martin Levac. The fella sounds exactly like Phil. Not saying that I want them to do that, just pointing out that they COULD. How would y’all feel if they got Levac? I’d personally prefer a Gabriel and Hackett reunion with Chester on drumming duty.. regardless I don’t think either’s gonna happen

Par for the course for him now. Do a new album, then play a couple of tracks from it on tour in a show otherwise comprising a Genesis album and a handful of his own old stuff.

It smacks of having no conviction in his own new material but most fans probably don't care. The shows are popular and I don't begrudge him or the fans that but I do think it's a shame in some ways.

I think it has less to do with him having “no conviction in his own new material” and more to do with the fact that Second’s Out takes up the majority of the set. TBH I have mixed feelings on the second’s out tour. On the one hand I missed his initial Genesis Revisited tours so I’m looking forward to seeing him in the states next year. On the other hand I would prefer more of his solo material... or at least if he were to do mostly Genesis stuff I’d rather he didn’t follow the order of Second’s Out. Imo Second’s Out has a terrible flow due to the space limitations of vinyl. I find afterglow by itself to be particularly egregious as I feel the songs works best being transitioned into. I would prefer a set where he plays all the songs from Second’s Out but changes the order to flow better. This would be my ideal set for the tour:

Squonk

Carpet Crawlers

Every Day

Held In The Shadows

Robbery, Assault and Battery

Cinema Show

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Musical Box

Shadow of the Hierophant (instrumental)

The Air Conditioned Nightmare (to celebrate Cured’s anniversary)

Afterglow

I Know What I Like

The Devil’s Cathedral

Firth of Fifth

Supper’s Ready

Dance On A Volcano

Los Endos (w/ Myopia intro + Slogans interlude)