Posts by Liquid Len

It is more nasal and I am not exactly sure why. Age sometimes deepens the voice, which often adds a really nice richness to compensate for the loss of range. Phil's voice has changed in tone in multiple ways over time. It was lighter and initially lacked heft early on, then became stronger and lost some of that light touch, it then became warmer, and then became lighter and a bit more nasally as you mention.

There are a number of songs that might fit his voice now. Some would be great to hear - e.g., Blood On the Rooftops, Inside and Out, the full Cinema Show (the high bits are falsetto). We'll have to see what the final setlist looks like.

I guess the only thing that stays consistent in life is change. He’ll compensate for his voice change. Thinking of artists who’s voices have aged gracefully, I love the way Robert Plant sounds now. He’s got this richness to his voice, almost like a soulfulness. His last solo album was wonderful, IMO.

Oh man, that sounds like quite the evening. A lovely group meal beforehand maybe? Does your daughter know their work?

At Twickenham in 07 I was near a father and son, the boy was about 12. When they launched into Behind the Lines he looked stunned, tears came to his eyes and there was sheer enjoyment on his face. It was wonderful to see.

Oh yeah. We’re definitely going to grab some dinner beforehand.

I’ve been prepping her when we take car rides places. She’s familiar with some of their 80’s and 90’s music from hearing it on the radio. I’ve been stealthy dropping older tracks on her to see what she likes. I played her Supper’s Ready a couple times and she sits quietly and I can tell she’s absorbing it. She knows Phil Collins used to be the drummer before PG left, so during the 9/8 section I told her—-listen to his drums and Tony’s keyboard, listen how intense this is, it’s incredible. She agreed.

What’s funny is that she said to me how early Peter and Phil sound almost identical. This is coming from a little girl with no frame of reference, I thought that was a very keen observation.

That’s a beautiful father and son moment you witnessed. My hope is that they play a few songs that me and my daughter can sing along to together.

It’s hot! It’s so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames! Tonight—-it’s going to be hot and wet, that’s nice if you’re with a lady, but it ain’t no good when you’re trying to sleep!

Oh yes indeed - Glasgow, London, London. 2nd London is a birthday treat for my sister, she was dancing around the room when I called and told her.

For Glasgow I've gone nuts and splashed out on the VIP gourmet meal bag-of-goodies front seat package. Admittedly I did squint while booking so I could pretend not to have seen the price but what the hell, one of my favourite bands in one of my favourite cities? Caution thrown to the highest wind, restraint locked in a trunk in the shed.

That’s really great. I’m happy for your sister too, that’s really cool. That’s awesome about the Glasgow show—hey this could be their last go around right? I’m heading to the first Philly show, bringing my wife and thirteen year old daughter. Also one of my buddies from work who has never seen them live either, and his wife are coming. This will be my daughter’s first ever concert too, can’t wait to see her reaction.

What can I say? If you are expecting the songs to be performed the way they should or it used to be, that is not going to happen but who knows? Perhaps they can still pull off something good, they've always been respectful of their audience and I know that limitations are there but I'm sure they'll give their best. Be as it may, I hope you and everybody else truly enjoy it, the fact that I don't care for it is completely irrelevant. I only begin to have a problem when some fans start saying that it was just like before, I saw several videos of Phil's tour and the comments were disheartening, either that or people are tone deaf.

I totally get what your saying. If I go to the concert in December and it blows, I’ll call it like it is. I won’t be one to sugarcoat it. Of course my frame of reference is limited to concert videos. Many fans’ comments on here are much more credible than mine. Thanks for the spirited conversation.

To be clear, when I think about this tour, Phil is the one I'm the happiest for. I have no appetite for it but I love seeing him up and about with his mates, doing something he loves. He's been through quite a lot and on a personal level I'm thrilled he's still out there. That said, on a musical level, he simply doesn't have it anymore, not enough a reason for many not to go and see them and I'm happy about that too, I wish them all the success they deserve but let's not kid ourselves please.

Fair enough. For me, this is the first time I’m seeing them live, so I’m not trying to be unrealistic, but I don’t want to go to the concert just to see him pal around with his “mates”. For that I could sit at home and watch the Invisible Touch video. I want to see good music.

I don't know about others and I have no data on his health conditions , I'm only talking about his voice which is beyond frail.

I was speaking in generalities and using your quote as an example. All of us make it to be that he is made of glass, his voice, his body. We know he’s not drumming anymore. Let’s see how he starts out the tour, we may all be pleasantly surprised.

True but wouldn't that just damage the song to the point that there's no point in performing it?

Now I know there are forum members here who have seen Phil recently on his Not Dead Yet tour and know much better than I, but are we getting a little crazy with predicting how frail Phil will be? I feel like we’re making it out to be that he’s like China (no put intended). I know he’s been sick, but he has to be in somewhat formidable shape to endure a lengthy tour such as this one. Otherwise I don’t think they would be attempting it. I think Phil is more durable than is being portrayed.

...which begs the question: which would you rather do? Try to vacuum out an eye, or have a fight with a grizzly? This is important - at any point, any of us might have to make that choice.

By the way, I love this idea of having a 'fight' with a rat. The idea of seeing a guy writhing and wrestling about on the ground with a rat, "GRRAAAAARRRGGGH!" More so that some people thought they'd lose that fight.

If it was a R.O.U.S., Rodent of Unusual Size, you’d lose. But moreover, I don’t think they exist.

The rare treat of a cooked breakfast for me today: into the griddle with 2 x streaky bacon crisped up, sliced chestnut mushrooms, 6 cherry tomatoes, handful of spinach leaves. In a small frying pan, a lamb kidney cut in half and dusted with spiced seasoned flour (they have to fry slowly in some foaming butter hence not in the griddle) and a fried egg. Fresh squeezed orange juice, topped up with fresh apple juice.

That should ensure a minimal (or no) lunch required ahead of tonight's strathdon blue cheese and walnut salad dinner.

Wow! I say this with all due respect, because I’m amazed. Where are you? Who eats lamb kidneys with chestnut mushrooms for breakfast?! I had a piece of banana bread. You Brits don’t mess around with your meals. I’m

impressed.

That’s a great question and very hard to answer. In terms of studio work I’d go for the spell that produced Selling, The Lamb and Trick. Here you have a band so full of composers and arrangers at the peak of their powers in a particular style that they were straining to stay together and so one had to go. But the collective efforts produced sublime music in that prog style that never lost its humour, drama, sense of melody and purpose. For live work, Daryl and Chester brought with them an edge that complimented the improvements in technology and available resources to produce a stunning live show. So that early 80s period is probably the peak for live stuff. I was thinking recently that in the 1979-81 period when I discovered the Genesis family of music they managed to turn out Duke, A Curious Feeling, Smallcreep’s Day, PG3, Face Value and Spectral Mornings, Ant also produced Sides, Back to the Pavillion and 1984. That’s a lot of very good music to produce in the period between the studio and live peaks I’ve highlighted. What a band!

So true! What an incredible run of music!

I'm a Prog fan, so their earlier stuff influences me the most. Selling England By the Pound is regarded as their best album Genesis has done by fans all over the globe.:)

I totally agree about Selling England, I adore it too. It makes me think of ‘Sum of the Parts’ where Phil is listening to Fly on a Windshield, and the part comes on where the drums kick in, and the whole band crashes in on the song. He says that’s the best they ever sounded. Selling England is right there alongside it, polished and perfect, in my opinion.

I can't be as specific as you but I agree performance wise I think 80-83 they were at the peak of their powers. Composition wise I think they had different peaks and troughs. 77-78 was a bit of a low point, 74-76 and 80-81 were high points. So to combine performance and composition I do think the Duke and Abacab albums and tours were it.

Totally. I mean the London Lyceum shows in May 1980....wow. Phil is singing with gusto. He’s singing with this chip on his shoulder, almost like with a snarl-the band is grooving behind him with power; magnificent. The crowd is rowdy. I’m just blown away by those Duke concerts in London that spring. I wish they had a live version of them available I could get obtain. Couldn’t have been there though, as I was only a 7 month old baby at the time. All in all just incredible.

Can you imagine how much dough Steve would’ve had if he had stuck with Genesis as they went through the 80’s pop-rock era!? My goodness the guy would blow his nose with hundred dollar bills! :P

I’m not suggesting he should’ve done so, but I have to think somewhere in the back of his mind (and with Ant, etc) the wealth Genesis and Peter amassed from around 1978 onward....HUGE!!

What’s crazy about that theory is that I don’t think there would have been a “pop rock era” Genesis had Steve stayed and had any major influence on their music. At least not to the extent of Invisible Touch. I mean they were already getting more poppy after the Lamb, but the two, four man Genesis albums definitely retained their proggy elements. We’ll never know.