Posts by Liquid Len

Indeed, congrats, Liquid Len. :thumbup:

(Nice to know that, if things get "heavy", you'll likely have the backup of the Smashed Bottle Men to sort things out! ;))

hahaha, thanks foxfeeder! Although I won’t go as far as to say that I’ll be breaking anybody’s legs, as you say I do indeed have the SBM posse to help me deal with any riff-raff on the forum!

Thanks everyone! I look forward to helping the forum in all of the above ways Christian mentioned, while also continuing to contribute to some meaningful discussions about the band we all love!

Agreed, and in fact Len's top 3

is solid.

Nice! Love to see love for these underappreciated gems.

Thanks guys. The hardest part is ranking those middle albums. As for the top, I was thinking a lot about it, Sides 1 and 2 of the Lamb (from LLDOB to Chamber of 32 Doors), might be their strongest set of songs in their catalog. Sides 3 and 4, while still very good, weaken the totality of the album a little. Otherwise it might be a solid #1 or 2 for me. I just think Nursery Cryme is fantastic, a solid rock album. And Abacab is wonderful in a quirky 80’s way.

Do you think so? I think it was Ahmet Ertegun who suggested not to include YMR in favor of Who Dunnit, just to give this album more edge and make it more interesting. I assume he thought the inclusion of a "safe" track instead of something controversial such as Abacab would have made this album less ... special?

To add to Christian’s point as well, they already had a song with horns on it in No Reply at All. I believe the feeling was, that adding Paperlate would have given the album too much horns. They chose one, and went with No Reply at All. Both would have been excellent choices, IMO.

With all due respect I don’t think a gated drum sound was required. There were plenty of songs by other acts at the time that had a much clearer sound than what was being produced on some of those Hentschel-era Genesis songs. Even a song like Squonk didn’t quite sound like the band intended. As Phil has pointed out, that was supposed to be their Led Zep sounding song but the recording, mixing, and production of the song failed to capture the rock sound they were looking for.

I agree with that. And also the loudness of the album is off. I have to turn the volume of these up more, compared to some of the earlier albums.

To me Down & Out is a decent song that could have been great. The opening synths have a rather cheesy sounding quality to my ear and the song suffers from poor production. Dave Hentschel had the annoying habit of taking the sharp edges off of songs (including live songs such as on Seconds Out). I’m reminded here of a review I read one time of ATTWT in which the reviewer referred to much of the music on the album as sounding like a “muddled pudding.” In the case of D&O I can’t help but wonder how fantastic Phil’s driving drum beat would have sounded with Hugh Padgham at the controls.

That’s looking at it with 20/20 hindsight. You’re picturing D & O with the gated drum sound, which didn’t exist yet. But I agree, ATTWT does have poor sounding production. Actually, so does W and W.

This ones really hard to do, but:

Nursery Cryme

Abacab
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

A Trick of the Tail
    Selling England by the Pound

Duke
    Foxtrot

Invisible Touch

Trespass

Genesis

And Then There Were Three

Wind and Wuthering

Calling All Stations

From Genesis to Revelation

We Can’t Dance

Yep. I've been absolutely happy with my understanding of, SR and now nearly 50 years ago PG goes and confuses me all over again!

It’s like in interviews when he describes The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as a sort of Pilgrim’s Progress. Like that even begins to describe the story behind the Lamb! Haha. I think Peter is great, but his explanations about the meaning behind songs is mysterious.

Elaine: Who does this guy think he is?

Keith Hernandez: I’m Keith Hernandez.

Isn't that peculiar? With many people foaming at mouth when Whodunnit? is mentioned and with the famous booing concerts I would have expected it to be the other way round: hate for Abacab because of its music, and indifference to IT, because its music is pop.

I don’t understand the demon vitriol for a particular song. I could understand not liking a song from your favorite band; but sheer utter hatred of a song that brings you to boo at a concert? Just go to the bathroom, get a beer, whatever. If you were going to a Genesis concert in the 80’s wouldn’t you expect them to play their 80’s stuff? Lol.

Yes, it would've been surprising if Genesis were the only band who didn't want to keep treading the same path. People age, they change, and members of these bands were now in or approaching their 30s which is a time when many experience various kinds of life changes which will inevitably lead to creative people creating differently. Changes in music technology will also have driven some changes of sound. And perhaps some bands really did make concerted efforts to sound more 'current'. It's all in the mix and to be expected.

All the above variously apply to fans as well. Some of them will have just stopped liking those bands anyway but yeah there were some who objected to the new stuff. "Alienating their traditional fan base" is a slightly dramatic way of putting it though.

A different kind of example as it involves a long hiatus but another that could go on your list is King Crimson, returning after 7 years with a sound bearing almost no resemblance to their 70s stuff and in my view, going on to the peak of their career.

I agree, I don’t think any band wants to intentionally “alienate” their fan base. I think it’s a byproduct of having a different sound then what said fan is used to hearing. For Genesis, they did what progressive bands are supposed to do, progress. Is that so bad?

Was just watching The Switch episode.

George: Do you realize in the entire history of Western Civilization, no one has successfully accomplished the roommate switch. In the Middle Ages, you could get locked up for even suggesting it.

Jerry: They didn’t have roommates in the Middle Ages.

George: Well I’m sure at some point between the years 800-1200, somewhere, there were two women living together!