Posts by choccy

I know the band have now in hindsight all said in various interviews, it should have been called Mama, but surely back then, it was the obvious name for that album?

I wonder why, they want with Genesis ultimately :?:

Alternate reality here, I know what you're saying but I think back to what happened in 1997-98 and I think 99% of bands would be ecstatic at what they achieved. Number 2 album in the UK, a lot of success in Europe, an arena tour etc. ie "fail like before" to me should be "succeed like before". I hate that MR particularly was of the opinion that if they didn't have the same level of success as before then why bother. I thought they had a great thing going. I lament that they ended the way they did while acknowledging the reality of the situation.

I think that MR had a bit of an ego thing going on back then, he shot down Daryl and Chester becoming part of the group and then they wrote 90% of the album without a singer.

Phil was the key peice to that threesome that could bring everything together with his great quality of arranging and yes, they didn't do well in America, no doubt for a various of reasons, but if they had held back a year and got Ray in from beginning of writing, it may have been different.

Very poetic and apt!

I'd love them to magically resume the project with Ray and make a follow up to CAS, which given that they are all able bodied compos mentis talented folks is not impossible. But it ain't happening.

From a touring side it is possible, however, it would fail like before sadly, because the majority accept Genesis ended in 1992/93 after WCD

Genesis suffered at times because people could not distinguish PC from Genesis and all they assumed was its another PC song.

People were sick off Phil by the time 1992 came around and Phil took the hit for the apparent Pop songs that Genesis were putting out and of course it wasn't on him in reality and on the plus side, PC success also brought other people to Genesis as well, so it was a give and take kinda thing with the general public.

I certainly feel Genesis have been more popular all round and appreciated more since 2007 through to present than perhaps 1992 -1998 period.

Genesis suffered because of Phils Solo success, Genesis also succeeded because of Phils Solo success.

At school in late 80s early 90s I was always laughed at for liking Genesis and Phil, yet when ever we did music, In The Air Tonight was THE song everyone loved and wanted to do.

I think Invisible Touch (SONG) and album, is where a big split occurred between cheesy pop songs and great music in people's minds backed up with Phil being everywhere, it probably was just to much of him and so easy to knock.

Phil and Genesis in the last 10 years have definitely become very appreciated and loved by young & older fans.

There were so many people at the Genesis concerts under 25 (especially females) that it shows that quality wins eventually and new people will discover the group.

That's why it's important Tony Smith gets the unreleased live albums out and bring in more new fans, because the band is still strong, whether they play again or not.

I would say the stage and screens were incredible and vastly different from the 2007 shows.

Phils voice aside and some lyric mistakes, I'm certain they could have recorded the show and especially the very last one or 3 in London.

Maybe it was a decision due to covid issues, maybe for quality or cost, but definitely odd not to record the last ever shows of such a huge group.

Thankfully there is footage.

I only recorded small clips or certain songs myself but the sound on my videos is exactly how it was in the arena, so I'm very grateful for that.

Hi everyone

After Genesis have called it a day, I wonder whether or not we will see Phil again as a solo artist. I understood he has retired from touring, but what about new music? Wouldn't it be great to get one more "old man's album"? What di you think?

Phil has unreleased material that will no doubt come out one day :(

Was just thinking, wouldn't it be good for the band to release an official live albulm for both the Mama and Invisiable Touch Tours.

It's crazy that this period has been "officially" underexposed and even the video releases didn't include the full setlists / variations.

I always find it funny that these guys made so much money, but on reality they should have made buckets more, but they weren't that bothered compared to other bands and artists.

They just simply wrote songs and played it for themselves ultimately.

Tony Smith on the other hand.....:D

I was listening to "Match of the Day" yesterday, and it occurred to me that one part of the lyrics really didn't make sense to me:

"But some own their boutiques, well they clean up every week / Inciting riots, causing chaos, such a shame"

Does anyone know what this is supposed to mean? What is the connection between football players, boutiques, cleaning up every week, and inciting riots/causing chaos? Is there some definition of "boutique" that I'm missing?

George Best for example owned a shop by Carnaby Street.

No Choccy, its not on the Genesis A History documentary from 1991.

Peter Gabriel had it filmed, its supposedly the same kind of quality as the Shepton Mallet stuff from the first Womad.

TGA

It was an older video, not the BBC one from 1991.

I just found it on YouTube and they just have photographs from the show not the video footage.

I have seen some video on you tube though previously.

There is some video footage of it, but again, it's not professional quality, it was on the Genesis History VHS from years back.

Mike is probably correct in that, it wasn't recorded, because as Chester point's out, the vocals were not clear.

I suspect, Peter would have been totally against it being released as he has tried to distance himself from "performing" Genesis material and the circumstances were from a necessity rather than a willingness to do a reunion.

Genesis are a pretty unique band, with how they approach things. They tend to stick to their guns and what they want, more so than just giving the fans everything they want or demand.

I think only Tony Smith focuses on the £ signs

All I know is Chester gave a reason why no Audio was picked up that day and why it wasn't released.

It's in his rolling stone interview.

Take it up with him.