Posts by Backdrifter

Loving Line Of Duty. I think there is going to lots of twists and turns as usual.

You will not be disappointed with Broadchurch - excellent!!!!!

LoD was as usual gripping and compelling viewing, and great fun speculating and thinking about all the various theories. It's top notch entertainment.

However... two things. First, it feels like it's on a gradual decline - I personally think it hit its peak with series 3. And second, having now seen all of Broadchurch, in my view its by far the superior show. I couldn't miss Line of Duty but it doesn't get under my skin like Broadchurch has. In particular series 3 really got to me. All in all a truly memorable show that joins my top 3 TV shows alongside The Singing Detective and The Wire.

A big-ish album for me as it was during a Genesis-heavy year for me, seeing my first gigs by them, Gabriel and Hackett and listening to this one a lot.

I've mentioned before that I don't get on with the first 2 albums at all and think he really hit his stride with SMs and this. It's sad to say it about an artist still going strong during now in 2019 that his peak was 40 years ago but it's what I feel.

I do like Steppes with its switches between starkness and bursts of melody, underpinned by the rumbling bass pedals. It creates a nice mix of lushness and menace.

Like others here I'm a big fan of Hammer. There's a sort of melancholy feel but also warmth, maybe regret too.

But yes as mentioned above it's a stupidly short album.

I won my copy in a competition in Sounds, the music weekly.

"Slogans" -- I totally could not understand what the vocoder voice was saying until someone explained it to me.

I've always wondered. I'm hesitant to ask, as part of me wants to remain in the dark and enjoy not knowing!

Today I saw High Life, a very dark sci-fi film about convicts on board a prison ship in deep space. Initially it's just one guy (played by an almost unrecognisable Robert Pattinson) and a baby. Then it flashes back and we see there were previously 6 other convicts and the ship's doctor, then we start to discover what happened to them.

Very well made even if somewhat relentlessly grim and often unpleasant.

For the 2nd time in a few weeks I was the only person in the cinema. It was essentially a private screening!

^ That is interesting. The two top 6s share 4 of the same albums - Foxtrot, Selling, Lamb, Trick. WCD and IT making up the other two in the German poll is intriguing.

This board's results back up my feeling that Trick/W&W is the era most here like (conversely, it's my least favourite phase of their work) but it's funny seeing W&W plummet out of the top rankings on the German poll.

Yeah I'd rather the next tour was solo-based. Perhaps these years of successful Genesis-themed tours will have rebuilt enough interest in him as a solo artist to ensure healthy numbers on a solo tour.

Hackett fans could vote on the songs.

Maybe but how about this approach: it's all Hackett material but he'll do one Genesis track in each set and the public vote determines the most popular ones to select from. But with the qualifier "Due to time restrictions it can't be Supper's Ready".

We appear to have very male-centric tastes don't we.

Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like? I ask also as I find I Iike quite a few and am always up for hearing of ones I don't know.

Some of mine are St Vincent, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Goldfrapp, School of Seven Bells, KT Tunstall, Pixx, Stealing Sheep, Sharon van Etten, Crystal Castles, She Drew The Gun, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Julia Holter, Throwing Muses... lots of others.

Yeah I've also never heard anyone use Dresden in that way. "It's a complete and utter Dresden." No, that's a new one on me too!

It's like when I learned from an episode of Frasier that we apparently say 'bumberchute' instead of 'umbrella'. That episode was literally the first time I'd ever hear that word! And I've still never heard anyone use it. It's apparently from a musical.

just remembered the "ska" section of Me and Sarah Jane (well, the bit where they try and sound like Madness anyway). It really shouldn't work, but it does. One of my favourite 80s G tracks.

It's one of my favourite tracks of theirs overall, and easily one of TB's best. But which is the bit where they try to sound like Madness?! You don't mean "Then I'm standing on a corner" do you?

I agree with COT. I listen to more classic Genesis then their later stuff!

As far as prog, they made a history in our timeline and feel Genesis is well known for their Prog related albums then later on.

Fair enough if you prefer listening to the "classic" stuff (I'm assuming you mean up to W&W) but no, they are generally far more well-known for their post-Hackett output.

this is where Genesis failed their prog fan base over the years. They sacrificed the complexity for radio friendly fluff, and in the end lost a lot of their fans.

Each to their own of course, you can't like what you don't like. But still, I always think it's a pity that some fans see the band's development as some sort of failure, when it really isn't. In fact, to me when a band doesn't change its style, that's more of a failure.

I don't believe they 'sacrificed' anything. They retained their musical integrity, but just applied it differently and in a way that, as you say, many didn't like. At school there were quite a few Genesis fans and I ended up being the only one who liked Abacab, the others all reacted as you described. I've never had a problem with bands moving on and changing, I respect it. That respect increased when in the last few years I learned they junked a load of new material when recording the Duke follow-up, after deciding it was too similar to the last 2 or 3 albums. A bold move that I really admire. If they'd come out with more Burning Rope or Vine type stuff I'd have long gone off them. But I come back to accepting that if the bold move results in music you don't like, I totally get that.

But I can't agree about the 'fluff' thing. Hits consisting of 6-minute spiky songs about child abuse and being obsessed with a mature prostitute aren't what I'd call fluffy. Drippy songs about snowmen, cats and mice, and "poor little nemo" are well within fluff territory, though!

Well, the band themselves (or at least Phil) thought it had one - just watch his introduction to "That's All" on The MAMA Tour DVD. ^^

Yes, I still shudder when I think of that and his appalling accent.

Again, I do think some of the examples being given are stretching things - it's not as though they've actually done a dub-reggae track - but as I said, it does still show the range of work by the band and various offshoots. Most bands classed as prog don't tend to stray far from where the seed has fallen (and frankly, a lot of their fans want it that way) but that can't be said of Genesis.