Posts by Backdrifter

Punk killed certain genres of music.:(

No it didn't, that's a myth.

Where is Punk today?... Unless you you look at the nakedness of some of these performers. Not an act off music!.

Please see other threads for discussions of this. I came here to pay tribute to a musician whose work I liked at a formative time of my music listening, not start arguing about punk.

Gutted to learn we've lost Keith Levene, a founder member of The Clash and PIL. His guitar playing was a definitive ingredient in the post-punk era and made a striking impression on the teenage me. I'll always remember a Whistle Test appearance of PIL doing Careering, Levene coaxing these angular textures from his guitar while triggering synth sounds by dipping his machine head on the keyboard. Sounds daft I know but it just looked so cool to me!

I know I've moaned about it before but it hacks me off posting these sad RIP notes in a thread headed with breathlessly excited-sounding !!s.

😲

I never knew that! Would have been interesting timing with Genesis out on the road then too.

Looking forward to US dates being announced. I've never seen him live. Would hope for a couple of tracks off IV and UP. San Jacinto, Wallflower, Growing Up, I Grieve etc.

He said it during a talk he gave about 6 years ago in London. He laughed and said it didn't go down too well and there was near-mutiny.

I'd be very happy with your suggestions. I never think much about my preferences ahead of tours but with him there's always a lingering hope he'll suddenly show 2 a bit more love but it's unlikely.

I would have thought those are also Obvious.

They are but I was teasing out the areas mentioned in the email.

Unexpected might include something like San Jacinto & a couple of tracks from Up.

I wouldn't assume SJ but I don't think it's unexpected. I'd tend to agree Up tracks are less likely.

With a very basic band I expect only Unpuggled Rearranged Hits.

What? What 'very basic band'?

I share the generally positive thoughts about Dodo/Lurker already expressed, and that it was a nice one to see being played live. As mentioned elsewhere, it has a special place in my Genesis gig-going experience partly because of that stunning moment of seeing the varilites sweep in one collective move for the first time - as was their wont with the visuals, very cleverly kept until a few songs into the show.

As far as listening to it is concerned though I always default to the original as I feel it's better served by the taut, sharp drumming rather than Thompson's looser style. Overall it's a good balancing of the newer 'spacier' sound and their earlier textures.

I too like the keyboard line in Lurker, and the switch to the big chords of the 'clothes of brass' bit. Never thought of it in terms of similarities to 2nd half of The Lamb - a bit like Scree perhaps?

Re the proposed 'suite', as with Duke and the Moonlit/Cinema Show ones it's as well they abandoned it. They were wise to avoid suites post-Suppers - it's one of the things I always admired about them among the prog bands, that they didn't go down that road again. I suppose they sort of nudged towards it with Domino but only really by giving the two parts names. I like both Naminanu and Submarine, they're very different from each other and both in line with the newer, fresher approach they were taking at the time. Naminanu sounds a bit Brand X-ish which makes me think it might've been PC-led, while Submarine is something of a personal favourite of mine - I like its simplicity and it has a nice atmosphere, with a dreamy feel yet there's also a bit of tension in there too, an interesting mix.

The tour announcement said that as well as I/O tracks there'll be "hits, fan favourites and the unexpected".

'Hits' will mean Sledgehammer and Solsbury Hill. Possibly GWF.

'Fan favourites' - personally I don't know what this means. Any takers?

'The unexpected' - where do you start? If it's unexpected it could be anything. Maybe he's finally persuaded his band to play Supper's Ready as he tried to in 07!

At the point of this announcement it's 40 years since 4. OK the tour will miss that anniversary but is it possible he'll focus on that album, do 4 or 5 from it? Including dusting off I Have The Touch?

Another category is of course 'The Obvious' eg In Your Eyes.

I'm going to mention actor Charlbi Dean Kriek as her death probably won't otherwise register here. I only say that as it's likely her name wouldn't feature on most people's radar, indeed she only just caught my attention last week when I saw a film with her in. It was an odd but very well-made and compelling, if occasionally nightmarish thing called Triangle Of Sadness. I took note of this beautiful female lead whose performance I thoroughly enjoyed, and afterwards looked her up. I discovered that she died in August aged just 32. She'd been tipped to have a very promising career, which I can see based on her work in this film.

So anyway that's my tiny wee belated tribute to Charlbi Dean Kriek, a terrific performer who died tragically young.

Sad to hear of the passing today of Dan McCafferty, the former lead singer of Nazareth.

This comes just four months after the death of another key member, Manny Charlton, who was the lead guitarist from the band's heyday.

I was a big fan back in the day, saw them in concert a couple of times in my teens and early 20s. I have very fond memories of seeing them perform.

That is really sad and has a special poignancy for me, as Nazareth's version of This Flight Tonight was the first 7" single I bought. I still like it and it retains a special place in my heart.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-gabriel-2023-tour/

Article on the tour, followed by an amusing top 50 ranking of all solo albums!

The rankings themselves are ludicrous - The Fugitive supposedly the worst, So allegedly the best, among other silly placings - but some of the summary descriptions are quite good and I'm glad Sides featured highly and gets a positive write-up as I've always had a soft spot for it

One After 909 was actually an early song but not recorded until Let It Be. I just love the energy of it. Despite all their differences John & Paul seem to be enjoying themselves.

Yes, recorded in 63 I think around the time of From Me To You. It was taped, but they were a bit chaotic and couldn't finish it but an early version is on Anthology 1. Harrison makes a decent start to a solo but then goes astray and when the song breaks down Lennon is heard saying incredulously "What sort of solo was that?!"

You're right, it's a very energetic song with a sort of joyous quality.