Posts by rjhatcher

It would’ve fitted in quite nicely with the i/o Tour this time around to be honest. I wouldn’t go, but I’d certainly watch on TV — and it’d be sure to bring in a lot of new fans. His music doesn’t get played nearly enough these days, even on BBC 6 Music. I’m also happy that Peter just continues to do his own thing though. The London show was incredible.

To be honest, I'm getting really bored of PG's antics here. I'm not sure if he thinks this whole album speculation thing and the full moon release schedule fiasco is funny, clever or a super-sophisticated marketing gimmick.

In any event, the novelty has well and truly worn off as far as I'm concerned.

But no matter how much this pisses me off (which is a lot), I know I can't help myself and I'm going to buy whatever surround sound versions finally emerge!

Peter has always been different. Isn’t that one of the reasons why we love him? I think the album in terms of the music is likely to be complete; but this is allowing Peter some more time to finalise the tracklist, artwork or other details, while sharing the music (or different mixes of it). I was part of the original Full Moon Club and basically, each month, we had a video featuring snippets of one of the tracks from Up, with Peter talking about it. We didn’t hear any track in its entirety until the album was released. This time around, we’re getting a video and a full track each month. Am I eager to have i/o in my hands right now? Of course. However, this is preferable to what we had in 2002, and I look forward to the Full Moon every month, wondering what track will be coming next, which I think is probably the point 🙃

He said in the Uncut interview that there is a surplus of tracks, and we will get 13 this year anyway. So I think he will continue in 2024, but i/o will also come out early next year then.

For more info about possible tracks, check our Making Of i/o special

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…he-Making-Of-IO-s161.html

Great website by the way.

If there will be 13 tracks on i/o, there might not be enough for another full album (o/i); but maybe an EP? I think in the Uncut interview he stated that he had 18 finished tracks in total. I hope we do get the surplus in whatever form that is. I particularly want to finally hear Baby Man 🙂

Any ideas what track we might be getting next (on July 3rd)? Someone somewhere said that it could be So Much?

I forget exactly what it was in reference to, but at the London show Peter mentioned the possibility of o/i as a follow-up to i/o. Of course, he may have been joking. However, if it happens, I’m guessing this would be where the tracks that didn’t make it onto the i/o record would find a home…

I think So Much is very likely to be on the album. I’ve just got back from the London gig and one of the many tour t-shirts for sale has “This edition is limited” across the front of it, which is part of the lyrics of So Much 😃

Also, the tour programme has the ‘art of i/o’ for the following songs:

Panopticom

Road To Joy

So Much

i/o
    Four Kinds Of Horses
    Love Can Heal

Playing For Time
    And Still

Olive Tree

The Court

This Is Home
    Live And Let Live

It’s curious that So Much has only been played once so far on the tour; however, I’m thinking the above will be our i/o tracklist. There’s no artwork for What Lies Ahead…

I noticed that the O2 now advertises the show with special guests

https://www.theo2.co.uk/events/detail/peter-gabriel

Any idea who that could be?

It’s likely that this is just a “standard” ad for a concert, taking into account that PG has usually had a support act in the past…

However, is it possible, as ‘Washing of the Water’ is the opener, that Chris Martin could make an appearance for a duet? Or that there is a one-off support act just for this show?

Yeah I guess it really depends how many tracks will be on i/o. He’ll release every one on a full moon and only after that will the physical album come. It’ll definitely be after the tour. If you’re right and it’s November, that makes 12 tracks (there are two full moons in August 🙂).

Manu Katche said that the album will be released in 2023, but has Peter actually stated that himself? Us and Up were both released in September (1992 and 2002). I don’t think i/o will be released before all of the tracks on it have been unveiled via each full moon — there would be no point in releasing ‘singles’ after that point. So i/o will either have fewer tracks than we all think (9 or 10) and be out in September 2023, or it may not come out until 2024…

Just a couple of extra interesting things that I’ve remembered by re-watching the Full Moon video for January. Peter refers to i/o as “a brand new record of brand new songs or slightly used items”. Could the slightly used items simply be ‘Playing For Time / Daddy Long Legs’ and ‘What Lies Ahead’, which he’d performed live some years ago? Also, he mentions Rioghnach Connolly from The Breath, who contributes backing vocals on ‘Panopticom’ — and states “there will be another track you’ll hear later in the year where she’s very audible”. From all of the live performances from the i/o Tour that I’ve seen so far, there’s not been a strong female vocal on any of the new material, so are we in for a surprise?

A PG-led studio version of ‘Downside Up’, anyone? 🙃

I’ve always thought the i/o title lends itself to a double album, but I agree that this is very unlikely. Nevertheless, if there really is to be 12 or 13 tracks, that’ll be the most of any of Peter’s studio albums, except for Scratch My Back, which had 12. Peter Gabriel 2 (Scratch) had 11. There have typically been only 9 or 10 tracks per album, but I guess i/o has been 20 years in the making!

I’m kind of sad that ‘Baby Man’ seems to have been dropped. It appeared to have been (pretty much) finished when it featured at the end of the ‘Growing Up On Tour: A Family Portrait’ DVD, and I always thought it was destined for i/o. The lyrics I’ve managed to decipher to the beautiful first live performance of ‘So Much’ have almost superseded it: “As an old man, I was born / But I’ve grown to be a baby”. If ‘Baby Man’ isn’t going to be on the album, I do hope it’s released next year along with the surplus stuff. While I love all of the new material so far, I miss the World Music influences.

A track called ‘Path of Fortune’ has been referred to quite a bit. I could be very wrong, but I know Peter changes song titles a lot, and the aforementioned name is very similar to ‘Road To Joy’ — Road/Path and Joy/Fortune. In my opinion, it’s likely to be the same song.

As ‘What Lies Ahead’ was developed from a melody that his son, Isaac, came up with — and the lyrics are inspired by his father, I imagine it’s quite a special track for Peter and that, despite it being dropped from the tour setlist for some reason, it’s likely to feature on the album.

In the Uncut magazine article, Peter stated that he’d like to put ‘The Veil’ and ‘Why Don’t You Show Yourself’ on an album someday, which indicates to me that these won’t be on i/o, despite ‘Show Yourself’ being recently Copywrite registered. It’s possible that Peter has changed his mind though…

Here’s to looking up at the sky and knowing the new full moon is coming! 🌕