Posts by thewatcher

It's a very classic or typical example of Genesis at it's proggiest. 13. I like it, I think the more effective parts are the emotional bits from the point of view of the tenants. However, the whole thing feels just a little forced somehow to me, and as a result I always preferred Hogweed (I find the tracks analogous to one another, but I prefer NC to Foxtrot for being freer and Hogweed vs Friday is a nice representation of the differences).

Thanks for the help. Mind if if I ask what “seeding” means?

If you download something using torrents, as you download it to your computer, you are also sharing it with others by uploading it. Once it's fully downloaded, as long as you leave the torrent program running on your computer, you will be "seeding" it, so if someone else comes long to download it they will, at least partially, be downloading it from you. If there are 100 people seeding it, if someone comes along to download it (which if I recall used to be called "leeching") they'll download it very fast. If there's one person seeding a concert and 100 people trying to download it, it will be very very slow.

Witchwood is correct, I think the one I used was uTorrent too, but there used to be several of these torrent servers to choose from. Torrentz was another one I think. It is a little daunting if it's completely new to you, but pretty easy to get up and running. Also, leaving it running and uploading after you've downloaded something used to be considered good form, but in the earlier days i ran foul of the old data limits internet companies used to impose if I accidentally left something uploading for days, so I'd be screwed and left with terribly slow internet for the rest of the month 😆

Edit: I assume leaving it seeding for a while is still considered good form, it's how the community shares.

Someone else can step in and correct me here, but my memory of downloading from that site (it has been a good while), was that I downloaded BitTorrent, set it up, and then just selected the concert I wanted. Someone has to be seeding it of course, otherwise it just hangs in purgatory. If there are several seeders the download is faster.

A great song, bristling with ideas and building up wonderful momentum. Very evocative, poignant lyrics I always took to be about JFK and Oswald - I didn't know about the other governor story. The turn at the end to the assassin's broken childhood is gently devastating. I think it's Gabriel at his emotional, innovative, effective best.

Interesting situation developing with Gary Lineker and Match of the Day. Wouldn't have seen him overnight becoming the tip of the spear in a crusade, of sorts. I'm inclined toward respect at his refusal to back down and the show of solidarity from his co-hosts.

It reminds me of something I would have turned in as an assignment in college, due on a Monday, where I've been partying all weekend. Bleary-eyed and headachey I remember at 10pm Sunday this thing is due the next day, so I frantically listen to IT and WCD. I fall asleep during Dreaming While You Sleep, then make it through the first track of Abacab before thinking "bugger it, I can't go on. It'll do".

I'm also a big fan of the track. It packs a lot into it's three minutes, managing to go from maniacally upbeat to the "maybe deep down inside..." bit that's more ponderous. Band is on top form and I like the horns, I think they're well integrated. It's a tight, punchy track where it feels like it all comes together. Not a masterpiece, but Genesis of the time doing what they did very well, and a nice counterpoint to the likes of Evidence of Autumn and HBTS.

Edit: haha I mixed it up with No Reply At All. I meant the "are you breathing faster..." bit.

I saw this a day or two ago. It is, in my mind, beyond extraordinary if true.

Researchers have done an experiment where they showed images to individuals who had a special type of MRI scan called "functional" MRI. It shows up which neurons are active at any given time. They then fed the MRI data to an AI algorithm and the AI algorithm recreated the images the person had seen. They were eerily close.

This is by far the closest thing to mind reading there has ever been as far as I know, and much closer than I would have thought was *ever* possible.

Imagine this becoming a tool of investigating crimes? Some sort of continuous MRI scan during interrogation where an image might pop into a person's head and gets tagged as evidence.

Between this, chatGPT, VR and that scientist in China who genetically edited a baby I can't help but feel like the future is starting to become present in a disconcertingly rapid manner. Think of how analog the world felt in the late 1980s (the earliest reference I have in my personal experience) compared to this shit.

https://twitter.com/heykahn/st…yP5_p7BRFRdm2rwCcgCQ&s=19

since they now own the rights of „recorded music“, I doubt any unreleased live recording was part of the deal.

Really? Wouldn't they get the highest price for the catalog if it included anything/everything unreleased, and therefore the prospect of boosting sales by including some tidbit like a demo or a live version on reissues? So the cover, or little description on Amazon or whatever, now has "new for 2023, containing the previously unheard...!!" bit included. Forgive my ignorance if I'm easy off base, I know little little about these matters.