Posts by Liquid Len

Can you imagine how much dough Steve would’ve had if he had stuck with Genesis as they went through the 80’s pop-rock era!? My goodness the guy would blow his nose with hundred dollar bills! :P

I’m not suggesting he should’ve done so, but I have to think somewhere in the back of his mind (and with Ant, etc) the wealth Genesis and Peter amassed from around 1978 onward....HUGE!!

What’s crazy about that theory is that I don’t think there would have been a “pop rock era” Genesis had Steve stayed and had any major influence on their music. At least not to the extent of Invisible Touch. I mean they were already getting more poppy after the Lamb, but the two, four man Genesis albums definitely retained their proggy elements. We’ll never know.

What would you consider the absolute peak of Genesis, artistically speaking? Thinking in terms of songwriting, but also powerhouse live performances. Recently listening to Duke and watching some of the concerts from the Duke tour, I would say the spring of 1980 was their zenith. Your thoughts?

Love, Love Selling England...to me there is not a weak spot on the album. I’ll even defend Epping Forrest to the bitter end. It works.

Mrs Backdrifter and I allow ourselves a take-away blowout dinner once a month. Tonight's the night. Just a couple of minutes walk up the road we have what's probably the best Chinese takeaway we've ever known. It's absolutely outstanding. My mouth is already watering at the thought.

Still not fully decided what to order but one thing I do know: this is the occasion I order their crispy aromatic duck for the first time, I haven't tried it from there yet. Veg spring rolls will as usual be had. But what else... nice 'problem' to have. Whatever it is, it will be washed down with ice-cold Westons vintage cider.

What are your dinner plans? And what would you get if you were ordering in some Chinese food (assuming you like it of course)?

I too have tried to avoid Chinese food over the last few years, because of all the loaded salt and MSG, however I do usually love it. My preference would be shrimp fried rice with a nice crispy egg roll. It can’t be too greasy of an egg roll though. I love General Tso’s chicken too, big fan of that.

Nice job on the interview, Christian.

It was also gratifying to read that Under A Mediterranean Sky sold well and that Steve was pleasantly surprised by how strongly it did.

Always nice for artists to have to that reward and incentive to continue being creative.

I agree with Witchwood, it’s nice to hear a musician hint at the monetary success of his work. After all, while these are highly artistic and creative individuals, this is also their livelihood, and they watch their bottom line just like all of us.

In some ways, PG leaving was the natural course of things. Ive seen the guys all saying that they were frustrated with the band being labeled as Peter first, and everyone else secondary. That type of a dynamic can tear a band apart. Still interesting to wonder “what if”.

I bought the five boxed sets in December, I got lucky and found someone selling them all in great condition for about 1100 dollars. I put myself on a payment plan and just about have them paid off. They are quite amazing. They are the SACD hybrids. I wish I had a 5.1 system to listen to them at full sonic capacity. Does anyone know the best 5.1 system to purchase at a reasonable price? I have no idea what I would be looking for.

I hear ya, brother. Even a tiresome Phil vs. Peter debate isn’t half as bad as politics! My buddy at work, my very best friend in this life, is a Bernie Sanders guy and left of center. I’m a conservative to the core, but we have really civil discussions about how BOTH sides are nuts now and I think when we try to avoid preaching, we get somewhere. But on the Internet there is that anonymity that makes people’s civility melt like magma!

Indeed! Liquid hot magma, as Dr. Evil would say!