Posts by siderealxxx

I think Mike said he was in vacation in South Africa when lock-down occurred in 2020. So he was stuck there, and he hadn't brought his equipment. He had to stay trained for the forthcoming rehearsals and tour, and so he bought a cheap Squier at a local store. It turned out it was surprisingly good, and he became quite attached to it, finding the neck of the instrument comfortable for his hands.

They changed the pickups and the tuners for the tour.

Well I never!

I know Daryl was using his Godin signature DS-1 and a pair of the new Mesa/Boogie Badlander amps

And Mike uses a couple of extremely cheap Squier Bullet Strats for a few songs

And most of Tony's sounds come from a MacBook using IK Multimedia connected to midi controllers, alongside an Oasys

I thought is was very odd Mike used a lot of Squier Strats but I noticed they all had stickers on the top and realised they were all for the different tunings for the downtuned versions of the songs. Why they were Squiers and not Fenders I don't know, I figured between them they'd have enough real Strats or wealthy enough to buy a few! I'd have lent him mine ;)

Has anyone received their tickets for o2 yet?

I've had an email from Ticketmaster saying to download the o2 app as tickets will only be available through the app....that same email says tickets may not show until 48 hrs before the show.

Just wondered if others are in the same boat?

I'm having exactly the same problem.

I have the app and I'm logged in and the event shows up with a document saying "This is not a ticket".

I also had the email you mentioned which says they will be delivered 48hrs before the show, but the Friday show is now less than 24hrs away now...

Also there's no longer a Ticketmaster phone number so that's useful. They only sent this email on Monday saying they were working hard to deliver them in time.

Reassuring :/ brilliant work Ticketmaster.

I have one ticket for sale to see Genesis tomorrow (Sat 26th) at the O2 in London. Great seat in stalls near mixing desk Block B2 Row C Seat 30. Price is what I paid for it, £220. Would need to be collected from Notting Hill W11.

Call/Text me on 07887 565475 to arrange.

Apologies if this is against forum rules, I did try searching for guidance. If so mods feel free to delete.

The O2 concert is not tomorrow, it's Saturday 25th MARCH not February!!!

Not trying to pick a bone at all but if I had watched a Genesis video from 1973, 1976, 1980, etc., at the time, should I also have not judged the performance and just "see them live"? I have tickets for Genesis too this time around, let me clear. But my level of enthusiasm is at about a "1" on a 1-10 scale, after seeing these videos. You can delude yourself into thinking that they sound great; they don't unless you're tone deaf. Phil Collins can't sing anymore, period. His timbre is horrible, he's off key a good chunk of the time and he can't sing to the tempo (just watch the damned videos). Yes, the visuals are great, yes, the musicianship (mostly) is ok but that's not enough for a professional show that's charging $150-$500 a ticket. Come on! You wouldn't accept this from any other act! Now if you want to enjoy the company of other G-fans and have fun for one night, I get that. But to push the argument that they sound great? Not even close, unless you're completely delusional or your only experience of them live is 2007.

I had all the same reservations you did, I really did. I had seen all the teasers and clips prior to going and I really thought Phil couldn't carry this off. You're right his tone and timing is off. It was a bit painful and worrying at times.

Then I went to Manchester and admittedly I was 10 rows from the front, but they blew my mind. I was literally buzzing for days.

Was Phil a bit off? Yes. Was he terrible? Not at all. Was he trying his best? Absolutely. Was he winning the audience over? They were in the palm of his hand.

The band honestly sounded as good as ever (albeit with undesirable key changes which didn't bother me in the end). In the instrumental sections you could close your eyes and it was the same old band, as tight as ever. The mix/PA was excellent too, total clarity.

I also watched the Newcastle show the other night and Phil had noticeably improved in just a week or so and was in good spirits. I bet by the O2 he would've been pretty sharp.

Remember the concert films from the 70s and 80s were all well rehearsed deep into tours, professionally shot and mixed. It's just not comparable to smartphone footage in the early stages of a tour after a 14 year break at the age of 70!

Would I want to listen to this tour as a pro recording? Well I don't think it does anything the 2007 recording doesn't do. Yes the vocals will be better from that. Or from Seconds Out or Three Sides etc. But this is first and foremost a live performance, and in that respect it 100% delivers.

I think it's good you have low expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprised! I'd reserve judgement a little until you see them.

Of course it's not 1978 or whatever. I wish it was. But it's this or nothing. And believe me this version of Genesis still knocks it out of the park in a way not many bands can.

Phil wasn’t tested positive, our sources say. But anyway, they had to do it. Whether or not they knew before the show on the 7th is subject to speculations. Their behavior during that show might indicate they knew. Maybe they learned about this just before the show.

Sounds like something like that happened and explains the hasty exit. They must be gutted, they've had a bumpy ride on this tour so far but they've been killing it on stage!

I read that too. From my vantage point right at the front, I didn't see what I'd call "storming off". At the point I'd expect them to take bows, TB simply got up from his stool and walked off. The others simply followed. I suppose as he's nearest the exit, his leaving dictated that the others had no choice but there was no exchange of confused looks between them or anything like that. In fact, it had the air of something that had been agreed beforehand. Why that would be, only they'd know.

It certainly wasn't as though Banks looked furious, slammed a fist down on his keyboard, kicked his stool over, threw his arms in the air and stomped to the exit swearing loudly. Had he done so, it would've been worth the ticket price on its own.

It sounds like something was clearly amiss last night but they soldiered on.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful by posting this but after listening to the Glasgow video.... Eeeekkkk. Phil's voice was horrible, off-key, off tempo, etc. I'm willing to give the guy some love and slack (lower keys, change in tone, etc.) but this was beyond the bounds of what a professional musician should be able to deliver, especially at the ticket prices charged for this tour.

Also with no disrespect but I think there's a lot of confusion with people watching videos and making judgements about the quality. Remember it is first and foremost a live show and live shows are rough and ready at the best of times. They're also very forgiving in a way that videos aren't (particularly phone videos on youtube).

The atmosphere in that room was electric and Genesis on 50% functioning power is still better than most other bands on 100%. Also this is the first time Genesis has toured in the smartphone/youtube era so people are seeing them in a whole new way. I bet the early shows in 2007 were rough too but by the time they filmed them they're on fire.

It's 2021 and you have to set different standards, but really the show isn't diminished by the situation, it just forces us to confront new realities and appreciate that somehow they used to be even better!

I predict they'll just tack these make-up shows, along with Ireland, onto the schedule of the inevitable 2022 tour dates.

Yes I know Phil said they would not be continuing next year, but I do not believe it. I still fully believe they'll do a few months' worth next year, before wrapping it up.

We shall see.

I would guess 2022 shows are now more likely too. But it may still just be playing out existing obligations. Might spur on some extra dates though to make it more worthwhile. I saw the show but I'm genuinely gutted for those that won't for the time being.