New to me - "new" bands and music

• Frank Skinner's Saturday morning show on Absolute Radio is a fairly regular source of interesting new stuff. Absolute is otherwise a dull parade of bloke rock where you're never very far from Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs or, on the rare occasions they dredge up a female voice, Florence And The Fucking Machine to give them their full name. And as for Oasis and the Sodding Red Hot Chilli Peppers, to give them their full name, the station must have shares in them.

Skinner gets 6 of his own choices and they're invariably nuggets of intetesting enjoyment amid the dullness of the other stuff he has to select from. Here is a recent one I like, Palpitations by Felicette.

Abandon all reason

• From Taylor Swift's new album, a song with Florence called Florida. Really love it. This one is good too. I couldn't not listen to at least a couple of songs since my oldest daughter would have it on repeat and discussing endlessly with her friends. Of the other songs - I still don't get how her lyrics uniquely are almost given the status of prophecy, or like a living Shakespeare, and the music in general just doesn't sound to my ears so noteworthy that it should sweep all before it. I find it generally good with some highlights.

But what do I know?! It's all a matter of opinion and like many other massively popular artists before her (like Coldplay for example), everyone else can hear something I can't. Except with her it's somehow much different, she crosses age/gender/style boundaries and captures fans like no other monster star before her has. Maybe Elvis? Or Michael Jackson?

Anyway, good for her and her fans.

• From Taylor Swift's new album, a song with Florence called Florida. Really love it. This one is good too. I couldn't not listen to at least a couple of songs since my oldest daughter would have it on repeat and discussing endlessly with her friends. Of the other songs - I still don't get how her lyrics uniquely are almost given the status of prophecy, or like a living Shakespeare, and the music in general just doesn't sound to my ears so noteworthy that it should sweep all before it. I find it generally good with some highlights.

But what do I know?! It's all a matter of opinion and like many other massively popular artists before her (like Coldplay for example), everyone else can hear something I can't. Except with her it's somehow much different, she crosses age/gender/style boundaries and captures fans like no other monster star before her has. Maybe Elvis? Or Michael Jackson?

Anyway, good for her and her fans.

The Beatles did that. I don't agree that Michael Jackson crossed that many boundaries, no matter how many records he sold.