Songs I'm Afraid to Admit I Don't Like

• Really?! My word.

Why?

Haha! I say that in the spirit of this thread. OFTV is one of "those" songs that I feel is revered by fans, esp those of the '70-'77 era. Personally, I love it, but I can see how admitting one does not like the song could birth some sort of backlash that one doesn't want to deal with, so you just don't admit you think it's a clunker.

• I responded by reporting it directly to an Admin. Supper's Ready. Really. I thought it was implied that criticism of SR was off the table when I started the thread. :D:D

• Well for one thing, I disagree that it's the "most sacred of cows". I've always known it to be a quite divisive album and you are far from alone in disliking it. I think that, ironically in a sense, you've elevated it beyond the point most Lamb-admirers place it.

For me it indeed is my favourite Genesis album, and one of my top 10 albums ever by anyone. But I'm going to disappoint you - I feel no particular need to "challenge" you on your dislike of it! What a peculiar idea. If you regard it as no better or more significant within their output than Ummagumma is within Floyd's, so be it. I regard it as their best album by quite some distance, but it and no album or track by Genesis or any artist is a sacred cow.

I concur on multiple points.

Even though it is one of my favourites as well, I can totally understand why some Genesis fans aren't as keen on it, especially when you compare it to the four albums that preceded it and the two albums that followed.

It is a different-sounding album that doesn't have a lot of the "classical" elements that are often associated with early Genesis.

There is nothing on The Lamb that compares lyrically or stylistically to Stagnation, The Musical Box, Fountain of Salmacis, Cinema Show, Can-Utility, Blood On The Rooftops..

So if there is an appearance of complacency, it is due to the fact that it is neither unprecedented nor unfathomable that someone who loves Nursery Cryme or SEBTP may not be as huge of a fan of The Lamb.

• There's none I'm afraid of saying I dislike. You like what you like. It's no crime to dislike a track or to 'not get it'

There's a few I don't really get on with The Battle of Epping Forest is one, Colony of Slipperman another.

• Don't tell me you've been searching for a horse not made of sand?!

Well for one thing, I disagree that it's the "most sacred of cows". I've always known it to be a quite divisive album and you are far from alone in disliking it. I think that, ironically in a sense, you've elevated it beyond the point most Lamb-admirers place it.

For me it indeed is my favourite Genesis album, and one of my top 10 albums ever by anyone. But I'm going to disappoint you - I feel no particular need to "challenge" you on your dislike of it! What a peculiar idea.

I agree completely and wholeheartedly with the post. The Lamb has always been and still is a polarizing album, far from being a sacred cow it has attracted more than its fair share of criticism throughout the years and apparently still does. It is my third favorite Genesis album but personally, throughout the years, I lost any sort of appetite for defending him, I am quite OK if people don't like it. I came across some fans who actually 'got it' and still dislike it, they were though I must say, the minority. Most of them quite simply didn't get it. I would say this about the album though: flawed as it is, but any Genesis album is,if you extract the best 8 to 10 songs, imo, you have the best Genesis album ever. As a double album, it has its weaknesses but I would argue any double album does. The sheer amount of good music on it is astonishing.

• There is nothing on The Lamb that compares lyrically or stylistically to Stagnation, The Musical Box, Fountain of Salmacis, Cinema Show, Can-Utility, Blood On The Rooftops..

A bit harsh imo. I would agree, as Tony I believe has said many times that the whole story , the concept leaves a lit to be desired but some individual lyrics are imo just brilliant. In the cage, Back in NYC, The Lamia. Fly on a windshield, The Chamber of 32 Doors to name a few but there are others.

• "A bit harsh imo. I would agree, as Tony I believe has said many times that the whole story , the concept leaves a lit to be desired but some individual lyrics are imo just brilliant..."

I can see how my intended meaning may have been misunderstood.

When I wrote "There is nothing on The Lamb that compares lyrically or stylistically..." I meant it in terms of being dissimilar in lyrical content and style.

I didn't mean it to suggest one was inferior to the other.

• Give me three tracks please. I got Fly and the one straight after (4 mins total). I'll give you Cage and if you insist Back in NYC. Hairless Heart. Then what?

For my money, off the top of my head: The title track, Windshield, Cage, NYC, Hairless heart, carpet crawlers, Anyway, Lamia, colony of slippermen and then I would have to review the track listing but those stand out.

• "A bit harsh imo. I would agree, as Tony I believe has said many times that the whole story , the concept leaves a lit to be desired but some individual lyrics are imo just brilliant..."

I can see how my intended meaning may have been misunderstood.

When I wrote "There is nothing on The Lamb that compares lyrically or stylistically..." I meant it in terms of being dissimilar in lyrical content and style.

I didn't mean it to suggest one was inferior to the other.

Got it...Finally. Thanks.

• Give me three tracks please. I got Fly and the one straight after (4 mins total). I'll give you Cage and if you insist Back in NYC. Hairless Heart. Then what?

I'm not going to "give you three tracks". I'm giving you THE ENTIRE ALBUM.

Abandon all reason

• Pretty much all of Trespass is fey and insubstantial.

I actually disagree with that. I can give you fey but I don't find it insubstantial personally. They were terribly green, lacked direction, musicianship wasn't quite there, no good producer telling them when to play or edit either The sound is outdated and some lyrics are dodgy but that said: substance is pretty much there Definitely the core of the songs: chords, harmony and melody was there and you can tell there a lot of songwriting talent in the band.