The Rock Orchestra performs Genesis - Delaware, USA

• For possible interest of forum members in the US Mid-Atlantic region: The Rock Orchestra (TRO) is staging two live performances of the Duke and Abacab albums this coming May:

This lineup is the same group of musicians who performed The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in 2019, which you can watch in its entirety on YouTube: https://youtu.be/E5nZheA_Rfo

I'm reprising my role as Tony Banks for these shows, and am super psyched to get to play all the songs from two of my favorite Genesis albums!

I should mention that TRO is not a full-time Genesis tribute; we're more like a collective of musicians in the Delaware area who tackle 3 new tribute projects each year. The founding members plan each season and recruit different lineups of local musicians for each project. The musicians for this show are all huge Genesis fans & are looking forward to performing this amazing music!

• What a tremendous group your involved with!, I watched the Lamb last week that you guys performed on YouTube from beginning to end as was blown away by how good it was. My girlfriend also a fan watched it and was as equally impressed. I wish you would play internationally but I understand that you ain’t a touring act as such which is a shame for us fans in the Uk.

Great, Great stuff as are your expert and accurate performances of the other artists You have covered.

• Well, you may have just helped fill out my concert calendar for May!

How difficult is it to find parking near The Baby Grand in Wilmington? Is it pricey or more reasonable? I have always wanted to come down to Wilmington to see shows (it's not much further than going to Philadelphia from where I live in PA), but the uncertainty about the parking situation has always put me off trying to go in the past.

Well, anyway, put me down as a strong "maybe"/leaning towards "yes" for coming to the show! :thumbup:8)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• How difficult is it to find parking near The Baby Grand in Wilmington? Is it pricey or more reasonable?

If you are lucky you can find a spot on Market Street close to the venue. Parking is metered, but free after 6:30pm. When I go to see a show at The Grand I usually park at the DoubleTree hotel's garage at N.King & 7th streets. I think it was $11 the last time I parked there for a show.

• This is great! I live in rural Worcester County, MD, not that far from Milton. We will definitely be in attendance at the 5/27 show!

• If you are lucky you can find a spot on Market Street close to the venue. Parking is metered, but free after 6:30pm. When I go to see a show at The Grand I usually park at the DoubleTree hotel's garage at N.King & 7th streets. I think it was $11 the last time I parked there for a show.

That is exactly the information that I needed - thank you!:thumbup:

I will most probably be there then! 8)

• OneForTheVine & MoonlitKnight - thanks for your support! It's going to be a lot of fun. In addition to the 7-member core band, we will have real horns for "No Reply At All". Stick around for the encore - hopefully some nice surprises in there!

• OneForTheVine & MoonlitKnight - thanks for your support! It's going to be a lot of fun. In addition to the 7-member core band, we will have real horns for "No Reply At All". Stick around for the encore - hopefully some nice surprises in there!

That will be great to hear - NRAA w/ a proper horn section, that is. :thumbup:

I’m glad that you are honoring the albums that you are. I really regard 1980-83 (and 84, including the end of the MAMA Tour) as one of the real high points of the band’s existence; so, I’m happy for any act to highlight any part of that era. Thank you for doing so!

• I really regard 1980-83 (and 84, including the end of the MAMA Tour) as one of the real high points of the band’s existence; so, I’m happy for any act to highlight any part of that era. Thank you for doing so!

Me, too! I "discovered" Genesis around 1980-1, so Duke/Abacab/3SL/Genesis were my initial exposure to the band and important in my overall musical development. Really wish I could've caught one of those tours!

• Me, too! I "discovered" Genesis around 1980-1, so Duke/Abacab/3SL/Genesis were my initial exposure to the band and important in my overall musical development. Really wish I could've caught one of those tours!

3SL/Encore: my all-time favorite tour!

• I'd love to go to one of these shows but they're a little far from where I live. 7 hour drive. I could chance telling her I'm nipping out for a pint, but I'd have to leave late morning and return around 5am. I'd be caught, no question.

Fuck it. You only live once 😃

• 3SL/Encore: my all-time favorite tour!

One (of several) I wish I could have caught. I was "age-challenged" enough not to be able to go. ^^

Me, too! I "discovered" Genesis around 1980-1, so Duke/Abacab/3SL/Genesis were my initial exposure to the band and important in my overall musical development. Really wish I could've caught one of those tours!

Yes, my discovery was just a couple of years before yours. The first song I ever knew was a Genesis song was "Follow You Follow Me".

I empathize with your inability to catch them live sooner. The first tour I saw them on was for IT (I did get to see 3 shows from that tour, though). I was just barely old enough to have seen them on the MAMA tour; however, having just gotten my driver's license a few months earlier, and my parents' idea of "rock concerts" at the time being the same as those from the 70s, there was no way they were giving me permission to go. ^^ Oh well - at least the boots from those shows at The Spectrum are very good.

• I remember hearing "Follow You, Follow Me", "Misunderstanding", "Turn It On Again", "Abacab", and "Man on the Corner" on my local rock radio station (98 Rock in Baltimore). At least a few of those made it to my mix-tapes recorded from the radio :) MTV added "Missed Again" and "Abacab" to regular play, and on one of their Saturday night concerts they showed 3SL, sealing my interest in the band.

My Dad liked Phil's singles as well as the Genesis tunes playing on the radio. He wasn't a musician but had a good ear for a good drummer & he really liked Phil's style. Dad took me to see Asia & Yes in 1983, and I remember we talked about catching Genesis, but the show was in DC and mid-week... just couldn't make it happen. No doubt he would've loved the show as much as I would have!

• I remember hearing "Follow You, Follow Me", "Misunderstanding", "Turn It On Again", "Abacab", and "Man on the Corner" on my local rock radio station (98 Rock in Baltimore). At least a few of those made it to my mix-tapes recorded from the radio :) MTV added "Missed Again" and "Abacab" to regular play, and on one of their Saturday night concerts they showed 3SL, sealing my interest in the band.

My Dad liked Phil's singles as well as the Genesis tunes playing on the radio. He wasn't a musician but had a good ear for a good drummer & he really liked Phil's style. Dad took me to see Asia & Yes in 1983, and I remember we talked about catching Genesis, but the show was in DC and mid-week... just couldn't make it happen. No doubt he would've loved the show as much as I would have!

Ah, 98 Rock in Baltimore. I grew up listening to that station. I recall one of their station ID’s being “98 Rock . . . KICK ASS ROCK-N-Roll!” Lol. Better that WLPL (was that before your time?) They used to play songs faster than the regular speed (I guess to fit in more advertisements?)

• I don't remember WLPL. Yeah, 98 Rock was very cool back in the 80s! Also listened to 100.7 WGRX when the classic rock format hit the airwaves - now they are "The Bay". I usually tune into either of those two stations when driving through Maryland.

I have the same memories as you for song that made the radio/made it onto mixtapes! ^^

Isn’t it amazing to think now that radio was dominated in the 80s by Genesis/Genesis-related acts? Genesis themselves, Mike & the Mechanics, GTR, and of course Phil’s solo work were never absent from the airwaves all decade.

I’m envious that you got to see Asia before they broke up originally. I did finally get to see them when they had their 25th anniversary tour and afterward (they were still amazing then). I also saw Yes on the 90125 tour; my show was in September 1984 in Greensboro, NC…and…that show was my very first concert! Ah, the good old days…

The stations around Philly that played rock music back then were 94.1 WYSP and 93.3 WMMR. I listened to both stations, and they loved Genesis. Since it was Philadelphia, they would even play deep album tracks, e.g., WYSP would regularly play songs like “You Might Recall” on the radio, despite that song being a leftover from the Abacab sessions. I miss old radio… ^^

• I’m envious that you got to see Asia before they broke up originally. I did finally get to see them when they had their 25th anniversary tour and afterward (they were still amazing then). I also saw Yes on the 90125 tour; my show was in September 1984 in Greensboro, NC…and…that show was my very first concert! Ah, the good old days…

The stations around Philly that played rock music back then were 94.1 WYSP and 93.3 WMMR. I listened to both stations, and they loved Genesis. Since it was Philadelphia, they would even play deep album tracks, e.g., WYSP would regularly play songs like “You Might Recall” on the radio, despite that song being a leftover from the Abacab sessions. I miss old radio… ^^

I was a huge Asia fan back in my early high school days! Lost track of them after Wetton left the 2nd time, and was surprised to hear reunion rumors in early 2006. Drove up to visit an old friend in Manhattan & saw one of the early reunion shows in Times Square - wow, the whole 1st album! I caught most of the following reunion tours afterwards & went to several meet-and-greets. I was able to collect all four original members' signatures on my Asia songbook :)

WMGK and WMMR are my usual rock stations today. Good to hear Pierre Robert still on the airwaves, as well as super DJs like Andre Gardner! MGK had some nice programming when Genesis were in town last December, playing an hour-long block of tunes you wouldn't normally hear :)