Thread closed due to trolling.

• I agree. It didn't work for Genesis at all. It ruined Turn It On Again. It seemed to be an indulgence for Phil as much as anything.

Maybe so. I recall seeing a Princes Trust concert around the late eighties where Phil appeared onstage with Paul Young and they performed a very similar medley. If the TIOA medley was an indulgence for Phil, though, it's not as though his predecessor hadn't had his own share of onstage indulgences. Slipperman costume, anyone?

• I wasn't crazy about the TIOA medley but can't get especially worked up about it. It didn't come across as a Collins indulgence as such - I can imagine him being the driving force behind it, but not as some kind of vanity kick. While I was lukewarm about it I could see it kind of fitted with that part of their evolution as a live act. Also, I quite liked their rendition of some of those snippets - Pinball Wizard had great energy and made me want them to do a straight cover of the whole track.

Tangential question: are those medleys the only time they ever did any covers on stage, except for Solsbury Hill at the Six Of The Best show? Am I imagining they did covers in their very early gigs (Stumble being one)?

Abandon all reason

• I wasn't crazy about the TIOA medley but can't get especially worked up about it. It didn't come across as a Collins indulgence as such - I can imagine him being the driving force behind it, but not as some kind of vanity kick. While I was lukewarm about it I could see it kind of fitted with that part of their evolution as a live act. Also, I quite liked their rendition of some of those snippets - Pinball Wizard had great energy and made me want them to do a straight cover of the whole track.

Tangential question: are those medleys the only time they ever did any covers on stage, except for Solsbury Hill at the Six Of The Best show? Am I imagining they did covers in their very early gigs (Stumble being one)?

If you count that Atlantic Records performance, they cover snippets of You Can't Hurry Love, Shortcut to Somewhere, and All I Need Is a Miracle. Not quite the same as these are solo songs by the members, but they are technically covers.