We Can't Dance B-sides on album sequence order choices

• Bit of a complicated thread title, but I'll explain better with more words!!! :)

Basically I've just discovered the EXCELLENT B-sides from the We Can't Dance singles "On The Shoreline" and "Hearts On Fire" thanks to the extra tracks from the Red boxset I got recently.

So I'll make a playlist with these songs along with the rest of We Can't Dance so it's kind of in sequence.

My question is: Where should they go with the rest of the album's tracks?

I'm thinking after "Since I Lost You" but keep "Fading Lights" as the last song on the album. That should sound quite good, but I'm just curious if anyone thinks I should put them earlier in the album?

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this, should be interesting :)

• Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did see the We Can't Dance reimagined thread, but I didn't know how active it is depending on the age of the thread.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the general rearranging thread though, I'll try that as a backup :)

• I did see the We Can't Dance reimagined thread, but I didn't know how active it is depending on the age of the thread.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the general rearranging thread though, I'll try that as a backup :)

Don't worry about thread age, if you spot a relevant one go ahead and bump it up 👍

Abandon all reason

• I put On The Shoreline right in front of Fading Lights. I agree, Fading Lights is the perfect ending song, and I didn't want to interfere with that.

Hi Winston,

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get an email saying you'd replied! :)

Ok that's interesting about "On The Shoreline", perhaps that is the best place for it.

How about "Hearts On Fire", where do you put that out of interest?

I'll keep an eye out on the thread this time ha ha!!!

• Not to sound too harsh but I think Hearts on Fire is my single least favorite Genesis song ever, so it isn't in any version of We Can't Dance that I actually listen to. It is the only B-side/non-album track I haven't re-sequenced into a Genesis album for my playlists.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that 13 out of 14 good songs ain't bad when recording an album, especially a band on their 14th album... But it didn't do anything for me when I heard the song back in 1992, and revisiting it when the boxed sets came out didn't change my mind. There's something about that one that just doesn't connect with me.

• If I'm not trying to do a "reimagined" album, I tend to put the b-sides after the record's proper tracklisting. So while I appreciate wanting Fading Lights to be the last thing, I would likely still put Hearts on Fire and On The Shoreline at the end of a playlist.

If you really don't want to do that, but also want to respect the original track listing, I'd suggest putting them in as a break in between the first and second halves of the album -- so in between Dreaming While You Sleep and Tell Me Why. Think of them like a little sorbet between the courses of the album.

• If I'm not trying to do a "reimagined" album, I tend to put the b-sides after the record's proper tracklisting. So while I appreciate wanting Fading Lights to be the last thing, I would likely still put Hearts on Fire and On The Shoreline at the end of a playlist.

If you really don't want to do that, but also want to respect the original track listing, I'd suggest putting them in as a break in between the first and second halves of the album -- so in between Dreaming While You Sleep and Tell Me Why. Think of them like a little sorbet between the courses of the album.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, that's an interesting take I hadn't thought of.

I'll see how that sounds :)