1981 Duran Duran comments on Genesis

• The other day, a high-quality set of unreleased (or previously lower-quality) demos and radio recordings of Duran Duran from 1980/81 was posted online. Big Duran Duran fan that I am, this was quite the revelation. And, also as a big Genesis fan, I was surprised to hear that one of the interview snippets included included a discussion by Simon LeBon and John Taylor about Genesis, as well as Peter Gabriel and a bit on Phil Collins. Because this hasn't been posted to someplace widely public, I transcribed the Genesis-relevant part of the interview. This was recorded June 19, 1981, on BBC Radio 1 with Richard Skinner, when Duran Duran was on to promote their just-released debut album. For context in the interview, this was a year after PG3 had arrived, and after all the "Face Value" singles had been released in the U.K., and a couple months before the song "Abacab" came out.

-------------

Richard Skinner: Influences quoted (for Duran Duran) appear to be things like Talking Heads and Peter Gabriel. One of the things that I'm constantly fascinated by is that people keep talking about Peter Gabriel, but nobody ever mentions Genesis. And there are some similarities between your music and that of Genesis, I would say.

John Taylor: I think we got quoted as that, once being a techno rock thing. Genesis, I love. I mean, I'd never deny it. I think if...

Simon LeBon: For me, actually, I think, I don't know, I think Genesis actually lost a hell of a lot when Peter Gabriel left. I mean, I do think of Peter Gabriel as one of the main sources of inspiration for the whole of the rest of the group, Genesis. And when he left, I think he left a big gap.

John Taylor: I think of all the people who sort of pretend to dislike Genesis now admitted, owned up to themselves, they'd probably find they've all got a copy of "Foxtrot" in there. I mean, "Foxtrot" is one of the greatest albums ever made. I mean, I saw "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" show. It was the last gig they ever did with Gabriel (in the U.K.) at Birmingham Hippodrome, and it was just amazing. I mean, I think the show is so important. I think they have lost it since then. I still think they make good music. But, I think I prefer Collins's solo stuff now, actually.

Richard Skinner: Hasn't made 'em any less popular.

Simon LeBon: In fact, I think the popularity sort of, actually sort of gained so much in the years after...

John Taylor: I think there was something about Gabriel that was just...a lot of people couldn't handle in Genesis and sort of suddenly they took out that element and they became totally acceptable, which was a shame, really. But, obviously, it's been good because you've got Genesis catering for Genesis fans and now Peter Gabriel catering for a totally different thing.

Simon LeBon: It's taken Peter Gabriel, what, sort of three albums to make any sort of success, really. I mean, the first two albums, I think, were good (crosstalk to end of segment).