Genesis fans and Ray Wilson

• This reminds me of something that takes us on a tangent from all the above. I recall dismay from older "proggier" fans that the CAS tour didn't signal a sudden mass-return of 70s songs. I believe many of them thought it might have done for two reasons. First, that RW's voice isn't far from PG's on the vocal spectrum, with a certain kind of duskiness. Second, these fans clung to this absurd belief that what they saw as the 'poppier' more commercial trio material they disliked was Collins's "fault" and that with him gone, old stuff would flood back into the setlist. (Admittedly, RW would potentially sound good on FoF or the first bit of Cinema). But it highlighted how silly that attitude was and still is, with even some on this board maintaining that PC "took them in that direction." He didn't; all three of them did.

100%. Just look to their solo material for proof. If they were constrained within Genesis to be "poppy" because of Phil then their solo albums would have been an obvious outlet for something more adventurous, but it's not there.

• 100%. Just look to their solo material for proof. If they were constrained within Genesis to be "poppy" because of Phil then their solo albums would have been an obvious outlet for something more adventurous, but it's not there.

Indeed, plus regarding inclusion of old stuff in the set I read a while ago that while planning the WCD tour PC suggested they do the whole Supper's Ready but it was vetoed mainly by Banks, who said "it's such a slog to get through".

PC always spoke warmly of the fun they - well, he - had doing The Waiting Room live. I bet he'd had loved them to throw that in occasionally and have a real blow. I'd have loved it too. Given how brilliantly they did the 70s stuff as time went on, imagine the 80s/90s Genesis letting rip like that.

Abandon all reason

• Indeed, plus regarding inclusion of old stuff in the set I read a while ago that while planning the WCD tour PC suggested they do the whole Supper's Ready but it was vetoed mainly by Banks, who said "it's such a slog to get through".

PC always spoke warmly of the fun they - well, he - had doing The Waiting Room live. I bet he'd had loved them to throw that in occasionally and have a real blow. I'd have loved it too. Given how brilliantly they did the 70s stuff as time went on, imagine the 80s/90s Genesis letting rip like that.

This could become an ‘agreeathon’ but I couldn’t agree more!

• Indeed, plus regarding inclusion of old stuff in the set I read a while ago that while planning the WCD tour PC suggested they do the whole Supper's Ready but it was vetoed mainly by Banks, who said "it's such a slog to get through".

I didn't know he'd wanted to do SR on the WCD tour. I'd heard he wanted to do Carpet Crawl and that was shot down. Imagine if this willingness to be ballsy and explore their catalogue was shared by his band mates. I liked the WCD show on video, but I wonder... Could his suggestions being rejected have played a role in his decision to bail? I remember another comment he made in an interview about setlist choices where he said fans would be surprised at what he'd like to play if he could... I always thought he meant something like Carpet Crawl on the WCD tour, but it could have been anything at all.

Always tantalizing to think about the road not taken, esp with this band.

• Were big Ray fans. He helped us through lockdown. We saw him in Genesis and once after about 20 years ago. We have all his albums. Wish he would play over here again .