The Genesis Trivia Quiz

• Last night I listened to 9 assorted Genesis songs, nothing pre-73 and nothing from CAS, comprising 1 each from SEBTP, Lamb, Trick, Three and WCD, 2 from Abacab and 2 non-album.

Name any one track you think I played - but only if you are so starved of something to do that you can be bothered to answer!

Abandon all reason

• I will give it a go...

SEBTP dancing with the moonlit knights

Lamb Lillywhite lilith

TRICK mad man moon

WIND 11th earl

3 burning rope

ABACAB like it or not and Sarah jane

WCD last spike no son

Non album naminanu and twilight alehouse.

• Good of you to go full on, thanks! I was only expecting anyone to try picking one. Anyway, you got one right - No Son. (That was the only one from WCD I listened to. And nothing from W&W).

Abandon all reason

• Last night I listened to 9 assorted Genesis songs, nothing pre-73 and nothing from CAS, comprising 1 each from SEBTP, Lamb, Trick, Three and WCD, 2 from Abacab and 2 non-album.

Name any one track you think I played - but only if you are so starved of something to do that you can be bothered to answer!

Down and Out

• Right. I'm game...

(it's a quiet day...)

SEBTP - more fool me

Lamb - lamia

TRICK - trick of the tail

ATTWT - say its alright joe

abacab - me and sarah jane, dodo

WCD no son - I know this is right!

Non album - on the shoreline, evidence of autumn

• I should think it is a quiet day. It'd bloody-well have to be! I appreciate the effort. So I feel bad having to tell you that you got them all wrong. Having given the album prompts I should at least narrow down the non-album ones - one is 4-piece, one is early trio.

(Wonders how much more patience members are going to have with this ridiculous 'quiz'...)

Abandon all reason

• Right

SEBTP - firth of fifth

Lamb - back in nyc

TRICK - ripples

ATTWT - deep in the motherlode

abacab - abacab, keep it dark

WCD no son - we know...

Non album - inside and out, the day the lights went out

Ive gone route 1 here - no deep cuts, all killer no filler. Except may TDTLWO

Im determined to get some of these. Dont ask me why!

• Great effort! I feel for you regarding the non-album stuff as you went to the exact sources - but didn't get the right songs. Dammit! So I'm going to give you those and reveal it was Pigeons and Vancouver. Also partly to shorten the tedium for everyone else not as (bafflingly but pleasingly) committed as you.

Further clues (don't go all Mrs Doyle on me now) - side 1 of Trick, disc 2 of Lamb, stay on side 1 of Abacab.

Abandon all reason

• Great effort! I feel for you regarding the non-album stuff as you went to the exact sources - but didn't get the right songs. Dammit! So I'm going to give you those and reveal it was Pigeons and Vancouver. Also partly to shorten the tedium for everyone else not as (bafflingly but pleasingly) committed as you.

Further clues (don't go all Mrs Doyle on me now) - side 1 of Trick, disc 2 of Lamb, stay on side 1 of Abacab.

This is the most fun I've had in months. That's lockdown for you.

I'll be back to fill the gaps...

• squonk

Dodo/lurker...is that one track?

The Lamia

Pigeons...have to say wouldn't be top of my list, but always good to go back to those non album tracks

Sorry, no, none of those. Dodo is 'side 2' anyway. There's now only one remaining Abacab side 1 track it can be.

Good question re Dodo/Lurker. If I remember correctly, on the original vinyl release they were listed as two separate tracks but I can't recall if there were two distinct sets of grooves. I've no idea how they're listed/cut on modern vinyl copies. On my 07 cd they are a single track and google/wikipedia list them as a single track of 7.30 duration. That seems the most logical approach.

Footnote to this: 3 Sides Live listed them as just Dodo, which Google reflects but wikipedia lists both parts (as a single track).

I've always really liked Pigeons but realise it's not highly regarded around these parts. I generally tend to like the oddities among their work and this one stands out amid a phase I mainly don't much care for. I'm not keen on W&W and prefer Pigeons's slightly strange quirky simplicity to most of the stuff on that album.

Abandon all reason

• If I remember correctly, on the original vinyl release they were listed as two separate tracks but I can't recall if there were two distinct sets of grooves.

They were listed as two separate tracks on the back cover, but they were together on one track on the actual vinyl.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.