Your next gig

• Of the 'Three of perfect pair' trio of albums, I'm actually quite fond of Beat, despite it arguably being the most commercial of the set. The title track on TOOPP is 80's KC at its best though.

Interesting your mention of Radiohead. From Ok Computer onward, I always regarded them as a prog rock band, before I was aware of any attempt to label them as such. They are prog by definition IMO, purely because they have a progressive approach to making music, with each album only loosely following their formula of combining electonica with guitar music. Their 'anything goes' approach to making music is similar to that of KC, I agree, although Fripp ensured a constantly changing approach to songwriting by changing line ups or at least key members from one album to the next, whereas RH at least stuck together!

OK Computer remains in my top 10 albums of all time. In Rainbows and Kid A also rank highly for me, and being a closet Indie kid, The Bends is an album I'll always love. Good days!

• Of the 'Three of perfect pair' trio of albums, I'm actually quite fond of Beat, despite it arguably being the most commercial of the set. The title track on TOOPP is 80's KC at its best though.

Interesting your mention of Radiohead. From Ok Computer onward, I always regarded them as a prog rock band, before I was aware of any attempt to label them as such. They are prog by definition IMO, purely because they have a progressive approach to making music, with each album only loosely following their formula of combining electonica with guitar music. Their 'anything goes' approach to making music is similar to that of KC, I agree, although Fripp ensured a constantly changing approach to songwriting by changing line ups or at least key members from one album to the next, whereas RH at least stuck together!

OK Computer remains in my top 10 albums of all time. In Rainbows and Kid A also rank highly for me, and being a closet Indie kid, The Bends is an album I'll always love. Good days!

I thought I'd set up threads for both these bands, happy to continue chatting there:

King Crimson

Radiohead

Abandon all reason

• Just saw Paul Simon last night in Toronto. If you are a fan, this is his last tour and it was very enjoyable. He has a crack band, including Bakithi Kumalo on bass, a brass section, and strings. He covers a 50-year span of songs, from Sounds of Silence to his latest record. You can expect all of his solo hits, the best of Graceland, and also a few unexpected surprises - for me, Rene and Georgette Magritte with a lovely string and wind arrangement and a nice reworking of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Simon was in great voice, especially for 77, hitting higher notes cleanly and sounding strong throughout. He also had some funny banter and stories.

• Saw the two shows in Montreal a week and a half ago. They were excellent.

I heard the same thing on the U2 board - I'm glad you caught them (and am still confused why they didn't play in Toronto).

I'm seeing them again in Newark, NJ in 11 days, and I'm trying to work in one (or more) shows at MSG (and/or Mohegan Sun) - they always impress live.

Side note - it's good to see you posting here again! 8)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Ry Cooder was great, for anyone planning to catch this tour. As usual, he has some excellent musicians backing him (including his son on drums). The stuff from his new album fits well with the old chestnuts he brings out.

• I heard the same thing on the U2 board - I'm glad you caught them (and am still confused why they didn't play in Toronto).

I'm seeing them again in Newark, NJ in 11 days, and I'm trying to work in one (or more) shows at MSG (and/or Mohegan Sun) - they always impress live.

Side note - it's good to see you posting here again! 8)

I succeeded seeing two more shows at MSG! 8)

So, now my next show is Trespass, the Genesis tribute band, in Bryn Mawr, PA in 12 days.

• ...and now my next show is Beck at MSG, NYC on Thursday.

Hot on the heels of that show is Yes at the Fillmore in Philadelphia on Saturday - preceding the show is their US-based 50th anniversary celebration just upstairs in the same building. I can't wait! 8)

• My next concert should have been Joan Armatrading tomorrow night in Edinburgh. Sadly won't be able to go as still recovering from an operation. Gutted!!!!

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Tomorrow in Toronto. He's playing all the hits as expected, but there's a couple of chestnuts I am looking forward to.

[Blocked Image: http://cdn.99scenes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/elton-john-live.jpg]

Elton John was great last night. Although his voice has lowered (since the 80s), it was in fine shape otherwise. There were plenty of jams for him to stretch out on the piano. You can tell he is 71 when he is walking around on stage, but not when you are listening. Pretty much all the greatest hits were covered, but my favourite performances were on the less-than-greatest-hits. Nigel and Davey are still doing a great job, and Ray Cooper remains a fantastically engaging percussionist. If you are a fan of his music, I would encourage you seeing this tour.