Your next gig

• My daughter and me will see The Rolling Stones in Berlin on June 22nd.

:)

That will be an immense show. hope you enjoy it

I have to wait till September when I am going to see Joan Armatrading in Edinburgh. Her latest album came out today so will get that very soon. Last time I saw her was almost 30 years ago!

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Thanks for this. I have been listening to the Stones since around fifty years now, but it will be the first time , I`ll see them live. My daughter booked the tickets. She will be 25 this Sunday and it will be a daughter-father-birthday kind of thing.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• We are seeing Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience on May 23 (he has had to retitle his band Led Zeppelin Evening but I booked the tickets before that happened)!

Steven Wilson on November 8.

• We are seeing Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience on May 23 (he has had to retitle his band Led Zeppelin Evening but I booked the tickets before that happened)!

Steven Wilson on November 8.

You will love Jason Bonham and his band. I saw them back in November at the kickoff for his latest tour, and it was even better than the year before. As his "Jimmy Page" this time around, he has Jimmy Sakurai, who is widely credited as being the best "Page" in LZ cover bands. He was formerly in Led Zepagain and his own Mr. Jimmy. Jason was so impressed that he asked him to join, and he (obviously) said yes. You'll love it.

LZ asked Jason to change the name. Since this year is LZ's 50th anniversary, they wanted "LZ Experience" for themselves. It is yet to be seen as to why, but I am intrigued...

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• You will love Jason Bonham and his band. I saw them back in November at the kickoff for his latest tour, and it was even better than the year before. As his "Jimmy Page" this time around, he has Jimmy Sakurai, who is widely credited as being the best "Page" in LZ cover bands. He was formerly in Led Zepagain and his own Mr. Jimmy. Jason was so impressed that he asked him to join, and he (obviously) said yes. You'll love it.

LZ asked Jason to change the name. Since this year is LZ's 50th anniversary, they wanted "LZ Experience" for themselves. It is yet to be seen as to why, but I am intrigued...

We thought exactly the same thing!

• I saw Lola Funkt last night and I was blown away! And the support band "Liner Notes" - never heard of them before - were just as good. Two awesome bands, both only at the beginning of their careers. Don't miss them out!

• Nothing as grand as any of the above , taking her indoors next month , to see one of her faves Lionel Richtea , why he’s named after a biscuit I never know , he’s doing open air gigs and we off to see him in Yorkshire by the coast , mini holiday as we staying for three days , my main gig this year is Steve Hackett in October in Ipswich with a orchestra, hopefully might fit a couple more in depending who’s about

• I am going to see Joan Armatrading in Edinburgh.

Excellent, which venue? Edinburgh is my favourite city and it's been heartbreaking to see so many of its smaller live music venues close in recent years.

I'm there three times this year; next month piggybacking on to Mrs Backdrifter's visit for a 4-day conference, August for the Fringe, then November for King Crimson (and happy birthday Robert Fripp, 72 today).

Abandon all reason

• Depeche Mode on June 3rd in Philadelphia. 8)

Enjoy! Love DM.

Last saw them on the Devotional tour back in 1993, and they were superb.

As for up and coming gig's, I'm hoping to see The Orb at some point and in some shape or form over the summer, but I've got tickets for King Crimson in November. Thankfully as you get older the time goes quicker and the wait doesn't feel so long! X/

• Nice venue, I've seen Crimson and Kraftwerk there in the last couple of years.

I've never been to the Usher Hall for a concert but have got good seats near the front for both Joan Armatrading and Mike And the Mechanics next year

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Enjoy! Love DM.

As for up and coming gig's, I'm hoping to see The Orb at some point and in some shape or form over the summer, but I've got tickets for King Crimson in November. Thankfully as you get older the time goes quicker and the wait doesn't feel so long! X/

The one time I saw DM was on that 93 tour, Wembley Arena - one of the three loudest gigs I've ever been to (the others being Curve in 1990 and Bob Mould in 2016).

I'm seeing Crimson back-to-back Glasgow and Edinburgh in November, I can't wait but as you said, it'll be upon us before we know it. It still only feels like a few weeks ago that the year started but it's nearly halfway through!

Abandon all reason

• Enjoy! Love DM.

The one time I saw DM was on that 93 tour, Wembley Arena - one of the three loudest gigs I've ever been to (the others being Curve in 1990 and Bob Mould in 2016).

I'm seeing Crimson back-to-back Glasgow and Edinburgh in November, I can't wait but as you said, it'll be upon us before we know it. It still only feels like a few weeks ago that the year started but it's nearly halfway through!

The 1993 Devotional tour is still one of my very favorite tours from them. I still love the DVD from that tour too! I'm looking forward to it!

I hope to see KC again when they come back here. I love that they are still going strong.

• The 1993 Devotional tour is still one of my very favorite tours from them. I still love the DVD from that tour too! I'm looking forward to it!

I hope to see KC again when they come back here. I love that they are still going strong.

Yeah, they produced consistently better music than their prog contemporaries throughout the 80's, 90's and beyond IMO. Thrak, and The Power to Believe are very strong albums. The trio of albums with Adrian Belew in the early 80's took a bit of getting used to.

• Yeah, they produced consistently better music than their prog contemporaries throughout the 80's, 90's and beyond IMO. Thrak, and The Power to Believe are very strong albums. The trio of albums with Adrian Belew in the early 80's took a bit of getting used to.

"The Power To Believe" I personally rate as one of their very strongest post-70s albums; "Thrak" is great too.

The 80s work I liked, esp. "Discipline"; however, I understand why fans of the 60s/70s KC wouldn't have embraced those later albums more warmly.

I hope they come back here soon.

• I instantly took to the 80s albums when they came out. I don't just think they were better than their prog contemporaries, I think they were pound-for-pound more interesting and adventurous than most contemporary acts. My favourite of the 80s albums remains Three Of A Perfect Pair. I get the impression it's not a favourite among KC fans, even the ones who like the 80s stuff, though.

The three later albums are good, and on balance I'll choose to listen to the 80s/90s/00s over the 70s stuff (but have very fond memories of the latter being very developmental in my music-appreciation), but do find that in the later albums there was perhaps a bit too much reliance on a certain kind of heavy ominous guitar riff such as that of Level 5. But it's still good stuff and there are some great tracks from that era - Dinosaur is a real favourite, as is Eyes Wide Open. Elements of Thrak sound a bit Beatlesy-Lennonesque, leading to my fantasizing that if Lennon hadn't been killed, and was still going, and had steered away from the soppy route he was going down on his final album and entered edgier territory, it might have sounded like this. Sort of. Maybe.

I absolutely love Radiohead (hence my username) who have famously rejected attempts to label them as prog, and guitarist Jonny Greenwood once said out of curiosity he listened to some Genesis albums and hated them, but did like the mellotron choir, which then cropped up a few times on Radiohead tracks ("so I did get something out of them", he said). He said he did however like Pink Floyd, to whom Radiohead have been compared. But I think if they are influenced by any prog band, it's KC. In the 80s stuff especially, Frame By Frame being the best example, there are interlocking guitar arpeggios, bursts of atonal noise, sparse lyrics sometimes touching on psychological areas, and vocals with long sustained notes, all key ingredients in many Radiohead tracks. Plus their drummer's work sometimes sounds to me a lot like 80s KC Bruford. Some individual tracks even remind me specifically of particular KC tracks.

Abandon all reason