Songs making animal references

• I agree. I listened to On the Shoreline yesterday for the first time in a while. It struck me as well that it was not at all integral to the opening of the song, which would have sounded interesting enough without the “elephant” sounds. I’d have been happy to see OTS replace Tell Me Why, Way of the World, or Tell Me Why on WCD. To me WCD is like the Shapes album: a strong side one but a largely forgettable side two (Fading Lights on WCD being the exception).

I think maybe that's why it only got a B side release. For me it's no more than an interesting outtake. As for the rest of that album I absolutely agree . If it was a shorter single album it could have been an absolute classic.

• Supper's Ready

Yes, we're happy as fish, and gorgeous as geese

The Dragon's coming out of the sea

If you go down to Willow Farm,

to look for butterflies, flutterbyes, gutterflies

Open your eyes, it's full of surprise, everyone lies,

like the fox on the rocks

The frog was a prince, the prince was a brick, the brick

was an egg, and the egg was a bird

• We will rock you rock you little snake we will keep you snug and warm

• " wonder if I'm a prisoner locked up in some Brooklyn jail
    -or some sort of Jonah shut up inside the whale". ;)

I know what the quote is. The point is that the word 'cuckoo' is itself an animal reference.

Also in I Can't Dance 'gator's getting close, hasn't got me yet'.

• Throw some bread to the ducks instead, it's easier that way - Heathaze

And thousands of creatures with happier lives - Keep It Dark

But like a monkey on your back you need it - Man On The Corner

I'm going down, going down, like a monkey, ooh but it's alright - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

• The "thousands of creatures" in Keep It Dark could actually be aliens, not animals. Then again, this brings up the question why we humans tend to imagine alien populations on other planets or dimensions as human-like along with possible alien animal-like species - which in itself raises the questions why it matters so much to us to distance ourselves from other animals though we are animals ourselves, to the extent we imagine the same distinction in aliens... So taking an extreme viewpoint, it might be valid to take any references of humans in song lyrics as animal references.

Oh dear, what's wrong with my mind?

• The "thousands of creatures" in Keep It Dark could actually be aliens, not animals. Then again, this brings up the question why we humans tend to imagine alien populations on other planets or dimensions as human-like along with possible alien animal-like species - which in itself raises the questions why it matters so much to us to distance ourselves from other animals though we are animals ourselves, to the extent we imagine the same distinction in aliens... So taking an extreme viewpoint, it might be valid to take any references of humans in song lyrics as animal references.

Oh dear, what's wrong with my mind?

Nothing wrong with your mind, it's clearly like mine! It meanders off on its own uncontrollable course. Quite a healthy mind , just not necessarily one that can be constrained by the brain. You've paved the way for a philosophy discussion on the Forum of last resort. Anyway we all know for a fact that aliens are essentially humanoid lizard type creatures .