Food and Drink

• That Forbes wild food website looks real neat. I do wish they listed ingredients to check for dietary compatibility though. Like on the jellies and jams which I know sometimes use other fruit juice which I can't have.

I've been really enjoying this item you can do a number of things with it I've had it with a little bit of sweetener and milk lately:

Soluble Sakura Leaf Powder for Sakura Latte, Pastries and More Japan's Best to You
    Use this powder to flavor drinks, pastries, chocolate, frozen yoghurt, ice cream and more. It has a beautiful sakura flavor and quickly dissolves in water,…
    anything-from-japan.com

Japanese cherry blossom tree the leaves actually have strong flavor and are edible.

• I made smoky butterbeans using smoked sundried tomatoes, smoked garlic and smoked paprika all cooked in passata with onion, bayleaf, agave, mustard and balsamic vinegar. They were luscious.

Abandon all reason

• Some cocktails I've invented. All fairly standard ingredients so please have a try of them and enjoy.

STIPPLED CEILING

vanilla roku, disturbed absinth, rubber fried egg, second quarter average house prices

1,000 YARD GUSTAFSSON

volcan de mi tierra, orange wine titrate, aerated humour, cloudberry extract

FOURTH FAVOURITE RAINCOATS SESSION

assam black whistler's storm, recarbonated flat cola, bottega fior de latte, left egg, disappointed syrup

GUACAMOLE WINDOW

abacaty, silver circle, lateral reaper, sublimated lime salt

STEP UNCLE

jade perique, 800-year macallan, burnt desk, rothman bitters, grey olive

LOWER BACK SUPPORT

deliquente weeping Juan, apologue, caramelised air, unsolicited opinion

MARION CRANE'S LAST JOURNEY

tuaca, toschi nocello, dansette, rinsed water spray, monterrey jack bitters

Abandon all reason

• Inspired by the most charming Backdrifter cocktails, I've asked ChatGPT to create a Genesis-themed dinner menu:

Appetizer: "Firth of Fifth’s Feta Fantasy"

A delicate arrangement of marinated feta cubes, olives, and roasted peppers, served on a bed of wild rocket. Dressed with a drizzle of honey balsamic glaze, inspired by the haunting melody of “Firth of Fifth.” This dish takes you on a taste journey from the shores of the Mediterranean to the peaks of the Matterhorn, echoing the timeless beauty of the iconic piano solo. Garnished with a touch of thyme and served with a side of rosemary breadsticks.

Main Courses:

1. "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
      A tender lamb shank slow-cooked in a rich, velvety red wine sauce infused with dark chocolate, wild herbs, and a hint of smoke, mirroring the gritty streets of New York. The lamb is served on a Broadway stage of buttery mashed potatoes, surrounded by a chorus of roasted root vegetables – carrots, parsnips, and beets. A garnish of pomegranate seeds adds a burst of color, reminiscent of Rael’s descent into the underworld.
    2. "Supper’s Ready"
      An epic, seven-part tasting platter representing the musical odyssey of Genesis’s masterpiece. Start with a bite of crispy duck confit spring roll ("Lover’s Leap"), transition to a creamy asparagus and truffle risotto ("Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man"), followed by a spicy lamb kofta with tzatziki ("Ikhnaton and Itsacon"). The journey continues with grilled sea bass in a lemon butter sauce ("How Dare I Be So Beautiful?"), a refreshing grapefruit and mint salad ("Willow Farm"), ending with tender beef medallions in a mushroom brandy cream ("Apocalypse in 9/8"). Finally, a mini meringue topped with passion fruit curd and edible flowers ("As Sure as Eggs is Eggs").
    3. "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight"
      A British-inspired dish with a surreal twist. Prime cuts of beef fillet are wrapped in a cloak of prosciutto, served with duchess potatoes and sautéed wild mushrooms. Accompanied by a side of caramelized onion gravy and Yorkshire pudding, this dish is fit for a knight. A garnish of microgreens and edible flowers symbolizes the pastoral themes of England’s green fields. The plate is decorated with a scattering of crushed pistachios to represent the Knight’s armor glinting under the moonlight.

Sides:

• "Carpet Crawlers’ Couscous"
      A blend of Israeli couscous, dried apricots, and almonds, mixed with finely diced cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Tossed in a citrus vinaigrette with a hint of mint, this side is both refreshing and exotic, much like the labyrinthine explorations of “The Carpet Crawlers.”
    • "Squonk’s Steamed Greens"
      A medley of kale, spinach, and tenderstem broccoli, lightly steamed and drizzled with a tahini lemon dressing. Served with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chili flakes for a touch of magic, inspired by the Squonk’s elusive nature.

Dessert: "Ripples in the Brandy"

A decadent chocolate fondant with a molten center of brandy-infused caramel, served with a side of vanilla bean ice cream. The dessert plate features artistic waves of raspberry coulis, creating a visual ripple effect. The delicate flavor and rich texture of this dessert capture the poignant, nostalgic lyrics of “Ripples.”

Wine Pairings

• Red Wine: “In the Red Sector” – A bold and earthy Cabernet Sauvignon, aged in oak barrels, with deep notes of blackcurrant, plum, and a hint of spice. Perfectly complements the robust flavors of the lamb and beef dishes.
    • White Wine: “Horizons Chardonnay” – A crisp, elegant Chardonnay with notes of green apple, pear, and a whisper of vanilla. Its refreshing acidity pairs beautifully with the seafood and lighter dishes on the menu.

End-of-the-Evening Cocktail: "That’s All"

A smooth and mellow cocktail to conclude the meal, reminiscent of the bittersweet closing notes of “That’s All.” A blend of bourbon, amaretto, and a dash of Angostura bitters, shaken with a twist of orange peel and served over ice. Garnished with a maraschino cherry and a sprig of rosemary, this cocktail is the perfect way to end a Genesis-themed culinary journey.

• I want to try all these especially the step uncle I love perique. I almost thought these were real the way things have been and are for cocktail recipes. I like a fancy drink but sometimes it gets a bit silly. The rubber egg gave it away

Seriously though, Perique is delicious. Haven't met anyone else who's ever mentioned it before.

• I want to try all these especially the step uncle I love perique. I almost thought these were real the way things have been and are for cocktail recipes. I like a fancy drink but sometimes it gets a bit silly.

That's part of the reason I made them up. I like trying different things with food and drink but I'm quite conservative with cocktails and tend to lean to simple unfussy ones, whether new/signature or classic. My main go-to is the Manhattan. Yes there are increasingly frequently ludicrous combinations in cocktails now. I don't like it when herbs and spices are incorporated or they overly mess with an established classic.

The rubber egg gave it away

Not the disturbed absinthe then?

THIS FRIDAY'S BIN COLLECTION

midori, jeppson’s malört, chartreuse, farage, bucket

Abandon all reason

• End-of-the-Evening Cocktail: "That’s All"

A smooth and mellow cocktail to conclude the meal, reminiscent of the bittersweet closing notes of “That’s All.” A blend of bourbon, amaretto, and a dash of Angostura bitters, shaken with a twist of orange peel and served over ice. Garnished with a maraschino cherry and a sprig of rosemary, this cocktail is the perfect way to end a Genesis-themed culinary journey.

Lose the rosemary, possibly make it a cocktail cherry and serve it as an aperitif rather than at the end and it sounds pretty good. It's a sort of tweaked godfather. It could work pretty well stirred through ice and strained into a nick & nora or coupe. Obviously you wouldn't literally shake it with orange peel, you'd serve the cocktail then peel the orange rind over the drink to get the oil spray, before rubbing the glass rim with the peel then adding it.

Abandon all reason

• Rice vermicelli noodle, beansprouts, spring onion, carrot, garlic, chicken, chilli, soy sauce, fish sauce, agave, all in the wok with beaten egg, garnish with extra slices of spring onion and coriander leaf, serve with sweet chilli sauce and smooth peanut butter stirred together.

Abandon all reason