The GENESIS single "Mama" was released 40 years ago

• Bought the single and the album - I loved the album - bought Trespass on vinyl around the same time - they're two of my fave Genesis lp's - yes I am strange!

Just wish Ant had done one more album before he left... 😢

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• Bought the single and the album - I loved the album - bought Trespass on vinyl around the same time - they're two of my fave Genesis lp's - yes I am strange!

Just wish Ant had done one more album before he left... 😢

Nothing strange about those being two of your favourite albums. It nicely illustrates the range they covered. How many other bands could come up with stuff like Stagnation and Mama?

Re AP leaving: he's great but we all love Genesis based on the career they had, which wouldn't have happened the way it did if he'd stayed.

Abandon all reason

• Love Mama. It's one of my favorite Genesis songs, and I've always said If someone who doesn't know them asked me to pick just one song that would most broadly represent what Genesis was about, I'd pick Mama.

I know some would disagree with me on that of course. But IMO the unique form and structure, the sounds, the lyrics, the drums and the overall atmosphere captures what Genesis was all about, maybe not in their entirety from the different eras (there's really no one song that does that IMO), but if we HAD to pick just one, that would be it for me.

• That brings back memories, I had been drafted and I was packing to leave for the army when I heard Mama on the radio. The radio...That too, brings back some memories, I rushed to the next music store to buy it, even though I knew it would have necessarily been a very short listen. I was thrilled, Abacab had been a bit of a letdown for me and it sounded like they were back in top form. For my money their best new-course song and Phil's best vocal performance.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().