STEVE HACKETT - Bay Of Kings (40th anniversary), new review online

• Official Post

Tomorrow (28 October), Steve Hackett's first acoustic album, Bay Of Kings, celebrates its 40th release anniversary.

Reason enough for a brand new review (which is also the first to be published on our website).

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…gs-album-review-s390.html

• Steve speaking in an interview about the cover:

"Kim (Poor) was never happy with the sleeve design. It was a painting of hers that she'd already done in oils, and I said, 'I think that would make a marvelous front cover for something.' She wasn't so sure... For years, Kim had said, 'If you'd let me one day, I'd really like to do something else with this... another kind of cover.' So, who was I to argue at this point? If the original artist was unhappy..."

Thoughts about some of the songs:

"Kim" - This is improved over the original mainly by the added flute parts, but I think the chimes are a bit much.

"St. Elmo's Fire" - I consider this the Hackett piece that reminds me the most of something Ant Phillips might do.

"Second Chance" - This is a different recording from the 1981 B-side, correct? I would assume so since the B-side version was a bonus track on the CURED remaster.

"Tales of the Riverbank" - Same question as with "Second Chance."

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• I don’t own this one, but I read the review and consider buying it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

... make tomorrow today!

• After Cured and Highly Strung, I didn’t really have an appetite for any offering that would have a similar sound. I was starting to question if I would continue blindly buying Steve’s albums as I had up to then.

Then somehow in that pre-internet era, I learned that Steve had just released an all-acoustic instrumental album. Well, I definitely had to get that one.

It was a very welcomed, organic change in direction and I took it in like a breath of fresh air. To this day it’s my favourite of the acoustic albums and easily among my Top 10 Hackett releases.

• Official Post

It was a very welcomed, organic change in direction and I took it in like a breath of fresh air. To this day it’s my favourite of the acoustic albums and easily among my Top 10 Hackett releases.

I mist say I have some problems with Steve's acoustic and classical albums, but that#s simply due to my own favorites. I heard this one again after many years recently and truly enjoyed it. Nevertheless, it's nothing I'd play frequently.

• I don't really like the sound of his nylon guitar playing in the 80s: too much reverb and echo. His work is much better in his latest acoustic albums (more authentic, more precise and more natural).