TONY BANKS - Seven

• The first classical album by TONY BANKS, "Seven", was released 20 years ago today. Our review: https://t.ly/uY8gW

What's your impression Do you own it? Do you like it? Stand out tracks

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I was really interested to hear a new side of Tony Banks but I found myself a little too unaffected. It is nice, it has these Tony Banks chord progressions we all love, it would make for really nice background music, still it failed to wow me. I respect it but it hasn't conquered my heart.

• I have it and I like it more than any of his non-classical solo work (except maybe his first album) but his later classical releases are better. I agree with the review, that Seven sounds a bit like a film score at times. It was an excellent first effort at a vastly different discipline though and I think Tony is more suited to classical music, or music arranged with classical principles in mind (e.g. many of his best Genesis 'prog' era tunes) than he is to poppier material. The latter invariably sounds clumsy and/or dated to me, whereas his classic and prog work, or the best bits of them anyway, are timeless.

Spring Tide and Black Down would be my choices, although here again I agree with the review in that Spring Tide sounds Vaughan Williams influenced - which would not be my first choice in the classical arena.

However, Seven was a brave and pretty decent effort at classical music and a solid platform for his subsequent work to build upon.