Generative films

• Rather than post this in the "What Movie Have You Watched" thread (where I'm currently talking to myself), because this is one I haven't watched but would like to, I decided to start a new thread as it's a broader topic.

The new documentary film Eno, unsurprisingly about Brian Eno, is released next month. Perhaps also unsurprisingly, given it's about an innovative creative thinker with often off-centre ideas, it's not a standard film format. It will be shown using generative software developed specially for this film. By my shaky understanding, the film-makers have amassed a store of archive and interview footage. Apart from a fixed beginning and end, and a few fixed anchor points along the way, each showing of the film will be otherwise generated by the software by drawing footage from the database. It's been designed to do this so as to create a logical narrative rather than just a jumble of material. The director says each showing will be unique, rather like each performance of a stage play or a gig.

The first UK screening is in London at the Barbican, with Eno introducing it. I'm intrigued how cinema screenings will work, and presume they'll be streamed to venues but I'm not sure.

In a broader sense, will this development have much impact on the film industry, or will this be a one-off? I'm guessing somewhere in between. I can't see big studios going for it and releasing a generative Marvel Avengers, Star Wars or Batman film for example. But I wonder if smaller scale, more niche film-makers will start to take it up, for example producing generative dramas in which the plot details and trajectory, maybe even the endings, change with each screening.

Abandon all reason

• This is a really cool idea, and gives a little flavor I think of the potential impact of AI in the arts. Would be interested to watch the Eno film twice back to back and see how different they are, how seamless the different transitions are etc.

Speculating further... Wearable sensors are getting more and more sophisticated, measuring heart rate, O2 sats, temperature, even cardiac output. Could a generative AI based film integrate this data and adapt to changes in your physiology, making a personalized movie? You could start by telling it "I want to be scared" or "I want to laugh".

• Could a generative AI based film integrate this data and adapt to changes in your physiology, making a personalized movie? You could start by telling it "I want to be scared" or "I want to laugh".

Or "I want to be bored", "I want to be disappointed", "I want to be left with a muted sense of self-awareness" etc. Or go completely abstract, as per Lennon's request to George Martin to make a song feel more like 'an orange' - "I want to feel mauve" (Uncle Monty in Withnail & I - "He's so mauve we don't know what he's planning.")

By virtue of slightly altering my travel plans I'm now booked into the Eno premier so I can certainly report back on that one viewing, but hopefully as you say I'll get the chance to see it again some time and see how it compares.

It was put to him in an interview that the way this film works means some people could potentially see a version that doesn't mention Roxy Music. He said "I hope so. I'm fed up of being asked about something I did 50 years ago."

Abandon all reason

• I'm at the London Barbican for the premiere of this. Eno walked past me on his way in. I was tempted to say hello, but decided not to and he looked busy being greeted by a member of staff.

Just now however, I met and briefly chatted with Peter Gabriel, sat on his own on a bench in the cafe area. I felt I couldn't not say hello, and told him how much I enjoyed the shows last year and the album. He thanked me and said how pleased he was with them. We briefly talked about the great company he'd assembled for the tour, then I left him to his snack and drink. I then saw someone having a selfie with him. Overall though he didn't seem to be too bothered by other fans.

• I'm at the London Barbican for the premiere of this. Eno walked past me on his way in. I was tempted to say hello, but decided not to and he looked busy being greeted by a member of staff.

Just now however, I met and briefly chatted with Peter Gabriel, sat on his own on a bench in the cafe area. I felt I couldn't not say hello, and told him how much I enjoyed the shows last year and the album. He thanked me and said how pleased he was with them. We briefly talked about the great company he'd assembled for the tour, then I left him to his snack and drink. I then saw someone having a selfie with him. Overall though he didn't seem to be too bothered by other fans.

Wow. I love how nonchalant you are about it.

• Wow. I love how nonchalant you are about it.

Thanks. I didn't feel very nonchalant but on the rare occasions I approach a public figure I'm conscious to not be a gushing fan and to be as brief as possible to not bother them too much. But it was a big moment for me. And for him too.

(That last bit was a joke).

Abandon all reason