Musicians Who Played on the Extra Tracks

• Is there a database listing the musicians who played on Phil's B-sides? While information like that really should have been provided on the recent re-releases, I can't find any reference to it in the liner notes. I've recently been looking for who played on You've Been In Love (That Little Bit Too Long) and I can't find it anywhere - I have the vinyl 12 inch but my copy didn't have the poster that presumably includes the details I'm after - and it made me wonder about who played on other tracks such as Around The World In 80 Presets and Burn Down The Mission.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

• Official Post

Good question. I have forwarded that to our "extra tracks expert"

• Official Post

So, there is some info about Burn Down The Mission

https://www.discogs.com/de/Var…zNCeBic_ekxaTNThlh1CQvWCY

The other tracks remain unclear, but since they were recorded during the album session, it will be more or less the same band. sometimes you have Dominic Miller play guitar and the bassist is not always the same.

• Thanks, Christian. I thought Phil used backing singers on Burn Down The Mission? Evidently not...

On the subject of that song - and please forgive the tangent - I remember seeing a picture on the LP sleeve of ...But Seriously that clearly showed Burn Down The Mission as being one of the songs recorded for that album. Given that it then showed up on the Two Rooms album, I wonder if Phil recorded it specifically for the Elton John tribute or that it was just coincidence that he'd recorded a version of the song and then got asked if he wanted to contribute it to that album.

• I guess we can assume the track was recorded during the sessions for BS, it sounds the same as the up-tempo tracks on BS.

Since Two rooms was released in October 1991, nearly two years after the release of BS, it was probably then used .for this purpse. Collins was busy writing and recording We can´t dance during 1991....

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Thanks, Christian. I thought Phil used backing singers on Burn Down The Mission? Evidently not...

On the subject of that song - and please forgive the tangent - I remember seeing a picture on the LP sleeve of ...But Seriously that clearly showed Burn Down The Mission as being one of the songs recorded for that album. Given that it then showed up on the Two Rooms album, I wonder if Phil recorded it specifically for the Elton John tribute or that it was just coincidence that he'd recorded a version of the song and then got asked if he wanted to contribute it to that album.

I hear the backing singers pretty clearly on Burn Down The Mission, so I'd assume that leaving them off that musician listing was an oversight.

I'd also assume that Phil recorded Burn Down The Mission with the tribute album specifically in mind. I don't know when the Two Rooms project started to come together but I'd guess a project like that probably has a fairly long lead time, especially since you don't know how long it takes to get tracks back from the artists that were asked.

I think if it had been "just" an extra leftover song it surely would have been released in some other fashion long before Two Rooms was released.

• Official Post

I hear the backing singers pretty clearly on Burn Down The Mission, so I'd assume that leaving them off that musician listing was an oversight.

Indeed - probably credits in the Plays Well With Others compilation may list the backing vocals, but I might also have the Two Rooms CD somewhere, so let me check when at hand.