What are you listening to right now?

• Steve Hackett - At The Edge Of Light, 5.1 surround. Currently on track 4, and as 3 of the first 4 are tracks that have been on YouTube, I've heard most of this before. Track 1 started in the "World Music" rut but moved on and improved. So far, maybe an improvement over Night Siren, lets hope it keeps it up. Will let you know.

Just picked this up the other day.. Not bad at all :)

• The new Steve Hackett album..

First impression, I thought this album was OK hitting around 6/10. The more listens now the score is rising hitting around 7.5/10

• the 5.1 SACD of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms"

You know, this is one of those surround sound albums that you can accidentally forget is a surround sound album (as I did). The 20th anniversary release for this album is a hybrid disc - regular stereo CD combined with both stereo and surround SACD layers (quite a disc, actually). I usually just listen to it as a CD and I had done so for so long that it slipped my mind that there was more to hear. Tonight ended that streak.

You know one of the reasons I like SACD so much is that, IMHO, it is the digital format that preserves best the warmth and overall sound of analogue recordings. However, as you may remember, "Brothers In Arms" is a fully digital recording. Listening to this disc again reminded me how great a producer Mark Knopfler is (w/ help from Neil Dorfsman) - despite its being fully digital, the production is still great! Normally, fully digital albums (esp. back then) don't "breathe", i.e., you don't get the nice sound-traveling-through-space ambience that analogue recordings generally have (well done ones, that is). Well, this album just sounded like an ultra-clear analogue recording! I wonder how he did it when so many can't.

My favorite re-lived moment while listening to it tonight: hearing Mark and Tony Levin essentially play co-lead guitar (Mark on 6-string, Tony on his superlative bass) on "One World". ^^ You wouldn't even need Tony's name in the credits to know he was playing bass. :thumbup: (I have a similar feeling when I hear the song "The Bogus Man" on Roxy Music's "Viva" album - you only have to hear a couple of notes before thinking, "Oh, hello, John Wetton." His name is in the credits, but you wouldn't need it to know he played on the track.)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I had no idea. Thank you OFTV. I will say no more or I will go on a rant about that album & DS in general.

• Enjoying this very much, Noni! Thank you 8):thumbup:

It's hard to imagine that Twelfth Night made mainly live recordings. Sequences(the Track) was also another live track, which came off the Live at Target album. Over the past 5 or so years Brian(the drummer) had most of the old albums re-mastered.

Sequences is probably one of the fans favourite tracks and to celebrate, the band decided to make this an actual studio recording for 2018. It's a shame the Collectors Item was not on this album as well:(. Another favourite amongst fans.

;)