The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• So I have fourth great nephew arrived last night in Washington State. It'll be a while before I meet him . Gave his father a Genesis playlist last time I saw him so hopefully the baby will be Genesis fan by now.

• Whatever happened to Liquid Len? (The forum member/moderator, not the infamous character in the song!)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• My fourth great nephew arrived into this world the other day. He is an American. Born in Washington State in a town near Olympia which is where my niece works.

I'll see him next summer.

• Quite catchy! Just goes to show half the time people pay no attention to lyrics anyway. Many of us mishear them.. You can sing along

and make your own!

Indeed. The Cocteau Twins based their entire output on this. Louis Louis by the Kingsmen is a famous example. Bernie Taupin wrote some terrific lyrics but in Elton John's blurred delivery, which often sounded like jellified blobs of vowels that have broken loose of their moorings (even more so now), you got a nice tune and some vague sense of meaning but it didn't really matter.

Every bit of scat singing, waaay-yaaaayah-yaayah and doo-bee-dooo-ing follows the same principle. Sometimes you don't need actual words.

As for mis-hearing/making up your own interpretation, a memorable one was REM's Sidewinder where many would sing along to its catchy refrain as "calling Cheryl Baker" (or in my case as I'm very partial to them "calling cherry bakewell").

Abandon all reason

• I always thought it was calling in to waken her until tinernet came along. It's actually call me when you try and wake her up and even though I now know that, for the life of me I can't make it out and still prefer my own version.

• I just came across a quote by author Michael Pollan that I like a lot: "Lawns are nature under totalitarian control".

It chimed with me as I detest lawns. It's especially dispiriting walking along a residential street and seeing rows of gardens with immaculate lawns.

Abandon all reason

• Here in the UK, from tomorrow the days start getting longer. Tomorrow's daytime is in fact 1 second longer so make the most of it. And start thinking about what to plan for Easter lunch and your summer wardrobe. Actually you might as well begin planning next year's Christmas shopping.

Abandon all reason

• Anyone into darts? I've been visiting extended family the last 2 weeks and my nephews and niece were all going crazy about the darts world cup. I never saw them getting excited like this. Nephews used to care only for football and the niece was never interested in sports in the first place, now I found them cheering for the hell of it when they were watching that darts world cup on TV, and they spent my entire visit playing darts.

• Anyone into darts? I've been visiting extended family the last 2 weeks and my nephews and niece were all going crazy about the darts world cup. I never saw them getting excited like this. Nephews used to care only for football and the niece was never interested in sports in the first place, now I found them cheering for the hell of it when they were watching that darts world cup on TV, and they spent my entire visit playing darts.

I dont mind the occasional dart. It can be oddly compelling.

Good for those kids!

Abandon all reason

• Got myself a meta quest 2 VR headset when it was on sale a few weeks back, and finally fired it up last night.

Wow! It was my first time trying anything like this and it's pretty amazing. I clicked on video of a rollercoaster that's in Canada's wonderland or something. You have a totally immersive 360 degree experience where it goes up and up and up and then drops and goes flying around the track. It's not exactly the same as being on a rollercoaster but it's closer to that than, say for example, watching it on a regular TV. A lot of the same things were happening in my brain as happen on a rollercoaster and I found my body leaning to one side and another, my stomach dropping a little etc.

I watch a short bit of a Foo Fighters concert and hope they can make something like it for a Genesis concert if they have enough from the footage they already have.

I've missed the mark with prior technology advances like minidisc vs ipod, and then ipod vs streaming. But I can immediately see the appeal of VR and assume it will get better and better. I can imagine it replacing standard TV and maybe computers/gaming. Also, with how quickly chatGPT and other AI are becoming available and capable of producing high quality art and writing, I bet in a few years you'll be able to write your own scenes and have AI render them in 3D video.

• Dara O'Briain Is Amazed By VR | Live At The Apollo | BBC Comedy Greats - YouTube

;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I wall mounted a 65" TV this evening. It was a terrifying experience. Of 8 screws, I don't think I repeated the same combination of screw/bolt/anchor even once. One is overtly loose and only two are on a stud. I now get to spend all of my time waiting for a huge crash signifying that the whole thing has pulled loose leaving the TV, the wall, my wallet and my marriage in equal states of disrepair.