PETER GABRIEL - And Still - Track discussion

• Although I respect the touching subject matter of this song-and there are some beautiful elements to it, I also am not a fan of the way he sings the vocals. I personally call them "floating vocals," meaning the phrasing doesn't fit quite right in terms of the amount of syllables vs. beats, and there are several moments where the vocals don't syncopate with the rhythm of the song. This kind of "vocal floating" can be heard on So Much as well, to a slightly lesser degree.

Some people may enjoy this, but admittedly, it's purely a personal preference. I tend to enjoy songs that are tighter in syncopation, rhythmically with all instruments-including vocals. Perhaps this is due to me being a percussionist, and reacting to music in those terms, I don't know... An example of this "tightness" I refer to would be The Court, where the vocals are very tightly locked with the rhythm-I love that. In that song it's almost like his singing of the lyrics are driven BY the drums.

• Official Post

Since several years Gabriel tend to sing lyrics in an open way and not tighten to the rhythm of the song. This is also with older songs on liveshows.

In my opinion this way of somehow "speaking" the lyrics is his kind of keeping their meaning fresh in his head or set the focus on the meaning in general.

But I understand that this is not the way of people who prefer the focus set on rhythm.

With And Still it is a special case because the song in general hides the structure of verse and chorus by distracting the listener.

• I see there's less discussion for this track here? But I must admit, it's a rather complicated one.

The Bright-Side Mix is now available

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I like the track a lot. It sounds fresh to my ears, and it is also quite ambitious and creative to my ears.

I prefer the dark side mix. It has much more mood and I like its balance better.

Overall for I/O I think Mark Spike Stent is an amazing mixer, there is a fanstastic sound quality in his mixes, but Tchad Blake has a better feeling for PG's songs. He brings out more atmosphere.

• I like the track a lot. It sounds fresh to my ears, and it is also quite ambitious and creative to my ears.

I prefer the dark side mix. It has much more mood and I like its balance better.

Overall for I/O I think Mark Spike Stent is an amazing mixer, there is a fanstastic sound quality in his mixes, but Tchad Blake has a better feeling for PG's songs. He brings out more atmosphere.

Agreed with you, Tchad Blake is better IMO.

• Official Post

I like the Bright Side Mix a bit more. It shows more details. And that's something I generally like about the new songs. When you hear more details.

• I like this one. It's quite off-kilter in a way, which I like. Atmospheric and repetitive in a good way. Reminds me of some of Nine Inch Nails' more reflective songs.

I get what you mean with the "NIN" reference.

I will say, it's close for me but I like the Bright Side mix better. I'm not a huge fan of And Still myself anyway, but I like the brighter sound of the beautiful cello part, the drum programming has a bit more oomph behind it, making it sound less repetitive across a 7 + minute song.

Also there are some playful things done with the effects in this one, reminiscent of PGs previous experimental songs from an effects perspective, like Fourteen Black Paintings, We Do What We're Told or even Rhythm of the Heat.

• Official Post

I checked out the In-Side Mix yesterday. Percussions are more prominent in this mix, but the strange sounds towards the end , that are quite obvious in the Bright Side Mix, are missing. Overall a rather unspectacular mix (on a high level)

• Official Post

LOL I still haven't heard any of the in-side mixes on ANY of these new songs-simply cos I'm not signed up for the providers that are offering them....

you’ll have them all in case you have ordered the 2CD/Blu-ray version and have a surround system at home

• you’ll have them all in case you have ordered the 2CD/Blu-ray version and have a surround system at home

I do have a 5.1 set up...

However I plan on getting this release on vinyl. Perhaps down the road, if I am eager for a different kind of experience (and have more $ to spend LOL)

• Official Post

Full Moon Club Subscribers now have a "No Strings Attached" version in their Bandcamp colection

• Official Post

The long awaited deep dive video has finally appeared on Bandcamp