Why the big Genesis reunion didn't happen after 2005

• Tony and Mike both repeatedly answered to questions on a 5-man lineup reunion: "People seem to forget we could only play songs from the Gabriel era."

How could we all miss this point - who would want to see a Genesis concert without I Can't Dance, Throwing It All Away, Hold On My Heart, etc.?

All I can say to that is when I saw Phil do Throwing It All Away it was one of the highlights of the night. I am well aware others feel differently.

• Tony and Mike both repeatedly answered to questions on a 5-man lineup reunion: "People seem to forget we could only play songs from the Gabriel era."

How could we all miss this point - who would want to see a Genesis concert without I Can't Dance, Throwing It All Away, Hold On My Heart, etc.?

it would have been "The Lamb" in its entirety plus seome extra track. I think Peter said around the time it would require a lot of rehearsals. He was impressed by the Led Zeppelin gig and I am pretty sure this made him think twice ... and step away from the project. Not sure, but that could be an explanation.

• He was impressed by the Led Zeppelin gig and I am pretty sure this made him think twice ... and step away from the project. Not sure, but that could be an explanation.

Why would his being impressed by Zeppelin cause him to step away from the project?

Abandon all reason

• Why would his being impressed by Zeppelin cause him to step away from the project?

I'm not sure how either, since the Zeppelin reunion hadn't happened at that point in time. I think Peter had already decided against any sort of reunion long before 2007.

What I'd love to know is what made him even think of bringing the idea up to the rest of them in the first place? From the way they all tell it Peter was the driving force behind them meeting up, and had he not seemed sincere I don't think the rest of them would have agreed to meet. And yet he seemed to arrive to the meeting already hesitant.

I wasn't there, and I don't know any of them personally, but when Phil describes the meeting as being very strange, you can't help but believe it was indeed strange...

• What I'd love to know is what made him even think of bringing the idea up to the rest of them in the first place? From the way they all tell it Peter was the driving force behind them meeting up, and had he not seemed sincere I don't think the rest of them would have agreed to meet. And yet he seemed to arrive to the meeting already hesitant.

Peter was invested enough in his Genesis legacy that he went and rerecorded all those vocals for the Archive 1 tracks. Maybe that got him thinking. We also know that he proposed doing at least a part of Supper's Ready for one of his solo tours, only to have his band suggest this wouldn't work. So I can believe that part of him was interested in doing a reunion and part of him was ambivalent about it nonetheless.

• I'm not sure how either, since the Zeppelin reunion hadn't happened at that point in time. I think Peter had already decided against any sort of reunion long before 2007.

Yes it only occurred to me after that exchange that the LZ gig was in Dec 07, two months after the Genesis tour ended and three years after the Glasgow meeting, so I'm really missing what any potential connection there'd be.

What I'd love to know is what made him even think of bringing the idea up to the rest of them in the first place? From the way they all tell it Peter was the driving force behind them meeting up, and had he not seemed sincere I don't think the rest of them would have agreed to meet. And yet he seemed to arrive to the meeting already hesitant.

Although bear in mind PC was the one saying in interviews that he'd be up for a 5-man reunion and that he'd love to be back behind the drums in that lineup. It seems a combination of the Archive work and PC's comments made PG start to think about it. I also remember PG saying how much he loved the Up tours and thoroughly enjoyed returning to live performance, so perhaps that was also in the mix and combining with the recent Genesis-related work. Given that Banks had come around to the idea it only needed PG to agree, so when he approached them it must have seemed pretty much a done deal. Hence the heated reaction to his "So we need to agree if we're doing this" in Glasgow.

For someone with strong ideas and a clear sense of drive, he's often been described by the others as a very "um... er..." indecisive sort of person. That characteristic no doubt contributed to his he-will-he-won't wavering - Banks said PG never actually said a definite NO, but he certainly never said yes. I suppose you could technically argue he still might!

Another factor might be his post-Up comments about leaping straight into another album. If the i/o title had already been mooted, that would have made it seem very imminent. If that was the case in his mind, it'd likely give him serious second thoughts about committing to even a small selection of Lamb shows and all the prep involved, let alone the perception of this forward-looking artist returning to old pastures.

Abandon all reason

• Wasn't Peter talking in some interviews in the early 2000s about ideas concerning the Lamb story? A musical, a film, something had to be done with it. My guess was too that recording the vocals for Archive 1 plus Carpet Crawlers '99 must have set him on this track. Who knows, maybe he realised the most obvious path would be a Lamb reunion tour with his old band mates.

• I would say that it's very likely, the energy when all 5 got together just wasn't great overall and You can see that when they had the HOF induction with Steve there.

I'm sure Peter didn't want to commit to anything more of a one off Record it and be done.

Phil only wanted as I said before to do limited shows and both financially would not work nor would there combined schedules allow for anything lengthy.

As I said before, if Peter really wanted to do the Lamb reunion, they still could, but Nic would have to replace Phil.

I suspect, it's all down to Peter as per usual.